Call for Project Participation in Development Sprints at PyCon 2008

Discussion in 'Python' started by Facundo Batista, Dec 14, 2007.

  1. Python-related projects: join the PyCon Development Sprints!

    The development sprints are a key part of PyCon, a chance for the
    contributors to open-source projects to get together face-to-face for
    up to four days of intensive learning and development. Newbies sit at
    the same table as the gurus, go out for lunch and dinner together, and
    have a great time while advancing their project. At PyCon 2007 in
    Dallas we must have had 20 projects sprinting.

    If your project would like to sprint at PyCon, now is the time to let
    us know. We need to collect the info and publish it, so participants
    will have time to make plans. We need to get the word out early,
    because no matter what we do during the conference, most people who
    haven't already decided to sprint won't be able to stay, because they
    have a planes to catch and no hotel rooms.

    In the past, many people have been reluctant to commit to sprinting.
    Some may not know what sprinting is all about; others may think that
    they're not "qualified" to sprint. We want to change that perception.

    * We want to help promote your sprint. The PyCon website, the PyCon
    blog, the PyCon podcast, and press releases will be there for you.

    * PyCon attendees will be asked to commit to sprints on the
    registration form, which will include a list of sprints with links
    to further info.

    * We will be featuring a "How To Sprint" session on Sunday afternoon,
    followed by sprint-related tutorials, all for free.

    * Some sponsors are helping out with the sprints as well.

    There's also cost. Although the sprinting itself is free, sprints
    have associated time and hotel costs. We can't do anything about the
    time cost, but we may have some complimentary rooms and funding
    available for sprinters. We will have more to say on financial aid
    later.

    Those who want to propose a sprint should send the following
    information to :

    * Project/sprint name
    * Project URL
    * The name and contact info (email & telephone) for the sprint
    leader(s) and other contributors who will attend the sprint
    * Instructions for accessing the project's code repository and
    documentation (or a URL)
    * Pointers to new contributor information (setup, etc.)
    * Any special requirements (projector? whiteboard? flux capacitor?)

    We will add this information to the PyCon website and set up a wiki
    page for you (or we can link to yours). Projects need a list of goals
    (bugs to fix, features to add, docs to write, etc.), especially some
    goals for beginners, to attract new sprinters. The more detail you
    put there, the more prepared your sprinters will be, and the more
    results you'll get.

    In 2007 there were sprints for Python, Jython, Zope, Django,
    TurboGears, Python in Education, SchoolTool, Trac, Docutils, the
    Python Job Board, PyCon-Tech, and other projects. We would like to
    see all these and more!

    The sprints will run from Monday, March 17 through Thursday, March
    20, 2008. You can find more details here:
    http://us.pycon.org/2008/sprints/.

    Thank you very much, and happy coding!

    Facundo Batista, PyCon 2008 Sprint Coordinator
    David Goodger, PyCon 2008 Chair

    Facundo Batista, Dec 14, 2007