Call Java from JavaScript, and get back results (Lucene)

keith_rhodes

Hi, all.

I know that there is a way of using JavaScript to call a Java method,
and for the JavaScript to collect some sort of response from the Java,
as I had a page working a few years ago that used Java to read a file
from the filesystem then the JavaScript formatted the contents of the
file (a simple list) by wrapping HTML tags round certain fields.

Now, I am trying to make an HTML page that presents a query form, that
would then pass the query to Lucene and present the results in an HTML
page.

The final application is a searchable CD containing HTML and PDF
documents.

So far, I have a working version of Lucene, I can build an index and
search from the command line.

I cannot use a webserver, so all the examples and tutorials that I
have found so far, relying on Tomcat, are unhelpful.

Can anybody help me out, or point me to a tutorial on the mechanism
for using Java and JavaScript together?

Thanks in advance.. (and apologies for using Google to post to Usenet).