Call VBA subroutine from ASP

WC Justice

I am currently using an Access 2000 database as the back end of an ASP
website that is under development. I have some vba code that generates a
Word document from within Access and saves it in a folder that makes it
available for download over the website. Can I execute this code from ASP?

Further, I am planning to split the Access database, once it is complete, by
migrating the back end to SQL Server. Once the website connection is to SQL
Server, will I still be able to execute the vba code located in the Access
front end?

Thanks in advance.

Bob Barrows [MVP]

WC said:
I am currently using an Access 2000 database as the back end of an ASP
website that is under development. I have some vba code that
generates a Word document from within Access and saves it in a folder
that makes it available for download over the website. Can I execute
this code from ASP?

No. Access is required to be involved when running VBA code in Access
modules. While Access can be Automated, MS recommends that Automation of
Office programs in server code should be avoided:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q257757

You will probably need to start planning for this now. Your best course of
action is to port your VBA code to vbscript, or to a VB dll.
Further, I am planning to split the Access database, once it is
complete, by migrating the back end to SQL Server. Once the website
connection is to SQL Server, will I still be able to execute the vba
code located in the Access front end?
See above

Bob Barrows