Call via vb .net fails but soap toolkit works

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Simonk, Jan 18, 2006.

  1. Simonk

    Simonk Guest

    Hello

    I am trying to migrate an asp page that uses the soap toolkit to consume a
    web service to vb .net. I've had no problem with other web services, just
    this particular one -

    The service is hosted on my local pc - I add a web reference by browsing to
    the WSDL file and it all seems fine until I attempt to invoke the service -
    which fails with "There is an error in XML document (1, 430)." in the
    exception messge

    The method in question returns a boolean status, and the actual 'result' (a
    chunk of XML) comes back in one of the arguments to the call - I'm not sure
    whether this is good practice or not (I didn't write the service!) or whether
    it is causing the problem - but as I said above, it works fine using the soap
    toolkit in asp - I've also created my own .net web service that mimics this
    (ie. changes the value of one of the arguments) and I am able to succesfully
    call that.

    I'm a bit stuck as to how to resolve this - if anyone can help here I'd be
    very grateful.

    Thanks

    Simon
    Simonk, Jan 18, 2006

  2. Simonk

    Josh Twist Guest

    Josh Twist, Jan 18, 2006

  3. Simonk

    Simonk Guest

    Josh

    Stacktrace:
    at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer.Deserialize(XmlReader
    xmlReader, String encodingStyle, XmlDeserializationEvents events)
    at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer.Deserialize(XmlReader
    xmlReader, XmlDeserializationEvents events)
    at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer.Deserialize(XmlReader xmlReader)
    at
    System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCall)
    at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String
    methodName, Object[] parameters)
    at solaz.localSol.sdcAsk.sdcAsk(String& Method, String& Parameter,
    String& Provider, String& Payload, String& Response) in
    C:\visualstudioprojects\solaz\Web References\localSol\Reference.vb:line 43
    at solaz.Form1.GetAZ() in C:\visualstudioprojects\solaz\Form1.vb:line 105,

    ExceptionType:
    System.InvalidOperationException

    GetBaseException:
    System.FormatException: The string was not recognized as a valid Boolean
    value.
    at System.Xml.XmlConvert.ToBoolean(String s)
    at
    System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializationReader.ReadTypedPrimitive(XmlQualifiedName type, Boolean elementCanBeType)
    at
    System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializationReader.ReadReferencingElement(String
    name, String ns, Boolean elementCanBeType, String& fixupReference)
    at
    System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializationReader.ReadReferencingElement(String
    name, String ns, String& fixupReference)
    at
    Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReader1.Read3_sdcAskResponse()

    regards

    Simon

    Simonk, Jan 18, 2006
  4. Simonk