Call via vb .net fails but soap toolkit works

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Simonk, Jan 18, 2006.

  1. Simonk

    Simonk Guest

    Hello

    I am trying to migrate an asp page that uses the soap toolkit to consume a
    web service to vb .net. I've had no problem with other web services, just
    this particular one -

    The service is hosted on my local pc - I add a web reference by browsing to
    the WSDL file and it all seems fine until I attempt to invoke the service -
    which fails with "There is an error in XML document (1, 430)." in the
    exception messge

    The method in question returns a boolean status, and the actual 'result' (a
    chunk of XML) comes back in one of the arguments to the call - I'm not sure
    whether this is good practice or not (I didn't write the service!) or whether
    it is causing the problem - but as I said above, it works fine using the soap
    toolkit in asp - I've also created my own .net web service that mimics this
    (ie. changes the value of one of the arguments) and I am able to succesfully
    call that.

    I'm a bit stuck as to how to resolve this - if anyone can help here I'd be
    very grateful.

    Thanks

    Simon

    Simonk, Jan 18, 2006

  2. Simonk

    Josh Twist Guest

    Josh Twist, Jan 18, 2006

  3. Simonk

    Simonk Guest

    Josh

    Stacktrace:
    at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer.Deserialize(XmlReader
    xmlReader, String encodingStyle, XmlDeserializationEvents events)
    at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer.Deserialize(XmlReader
    xmlReader, XmlDeserializationEvents events)
    at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer.Deserialize(XmlReader xmlReader)
    at
    System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCall)
    at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String
    methodName, Object[] parameters)
    at solaz.localSol.sdcAsk.sdcAsk(String& Method, String& Parameter,
    String& Provider, String& Payload, String& Response) in
    C:\visualstudioprojects\solaz\Web References\localSol\Reference.vb:line 43
    at solaz.Form1.GetAZ() in C:\visualstudioprojects\solaz\Form1.vb:line 105,

    ExceptionType:
    System.InvalidOperationException

    GetBaseException:
    System.FormatException: The string was not recognized as a valid Boolean
    value.
    at System.Xml.XmlConvert.ToBoolean(String s)
    at
    System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializationReader.ReadTypedPrimitive(XmlQualifiedName type, Boolean elementCanBeType)
    at
    System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializationReader.ReadReferencingElement(String
    name, String ns, Boolean elementCanBeType, String& fixupReference)
    at
    System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializationReader.ReadReferencingElement(String
    name, String ns, String& fixupReference)
    at
    Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReader1.Read3_sdcAskResponse()

    regards

    Simon

    Simonk, Jan 18, 2006
  4. Simonk

    Josh Twist Guest

    It doesn't like the value inside your boolean node (should be either
    'true' or 'false').

    Have you seen what the XML is that's actually travelling across the
    wire? If not, maybe try using the Web Service Studio
    (http://www.gotdotnet.com/team/tools/web_svc/default.aspx) to have a
    look? The Request/Response tab should show you what the XML is that's
    being returned from the service.

    Josh
    http://www.thejoyofcode.com/

    Josh Twist, Jan 18, 2006