caller usage and getting a full trace after a rescue on generalException

Xeno Campanoli

Say, I'm having a difficult problem getting a complete trace/stack dump. I've
got a place where I do a rescue Exception for anything, and I get the darn raise
string, but not a trace back to the line where it occurred. In fact it appears
my use of rescue is hiding the information I might get otherwise. Can someone
give me some suggestions. My apologies if this should be obvious.

Sincerely, Xeno

Aaron Patterson

Say, I'm having a difficult problem getting a complete trace/stack dump.
I've got a place where I do a rescue Exception for anything, and I get
the darn raise string, but not a trace back to the line where it
occurred. In fact it appears my use of rescue is hiding the information
I might get otherwise. Can someone give me some suggestions. My
apologies if this should be obvious.

Is Exception#backtrace what you're looking for?

From the RDoc:

def a
raise "boom"
end

def b
a()
end

begin
b()
rescue => detail
print detail.backtrace.join("\n")
end

Xeno Campanoli

Aaron said:
Is Exception#backtrace what you're looking for?

Yes, thank you very much. That helped. I would have responded sooner, but this
week's death march and all you know.

Thanks.