Calling a Java class to the main class for execution

Discussion in 'Java' started by Andy, Nov 7, 2007.

  1. Andy

    Andy Guest

    Say I have 2 files -

    addition.java
    negation.java

    Now in the main class (say controlpanel.java) I want something like
    this -

    Print -" You want addition? Press 1"
    " You want negation? Press 2"

    then it should run addition.java when the user inputs 1 or negation if
    the user inputs 2

    Basically, the user will enter information (like a=1 and b=2 for a+b)
    in addition.java (or negation.java) and not controlpanel.java

    controlpanel.java is the main class to forward the user to a
    particular class for operation. All these classes are under the same
    Netbeans package.

    How can this be done? This is basic and I couldn't figure it out :
    ( Switch statements were clueless about running classes from a main
    class.

    Thanks a lot!

    Andy, Nov 7, 2007

  2. Andy wrote:

    > Say I have 2 files -
    >
    > addition.java
    > negation.java
    >
    > Now in the main class (say controlpanel.java) I want something like
    > this -

    Make all your classes part of a package.

    > How can this be done? This is basic and I couldn't figure it out :
    > ( Switch statements were clueless about running classes from a main
    > class.

    You don't "run" a class, you most usually instantiate it into an object.
    Then you use the methods to do stuff.

    You *can* use class methods without instantiating, but it depends on
    your design.

    > Thanks a lot!

    Please refer to Suns Java tutorial to learn about classes and objects:
    http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial

    specifically
    http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/java/javaOO/index.html
    --
    Sabine Dinis Blochberger

    Op3racional
    www.op3racional.eu

    Sabine Dinis Blochberger, Nov 7, 2007

  3. Andy wrote:
    >Say I have 2 files -

    "You have 2 files" OK.. getting back to being serious.

    >addition.java
    >negation.java

    Class names in Java should be EachWordUpperCase,
    so these class names should be Addition.java and
    Subtraction.java rather than addition/subtraction or
    addition/negation.

    >Now in the main class (say controlpanel.java) I want something like
    >this -
    >
    >Print -" You want addition? Press 1"
    > " You want negation? Press 2"
    >
    >then it should run addition.java when the user inputs 1 or negation if
    >the user inputs 2

    if (result==1) {
    // call main constructor
    Addition addition = new Addition();
    } else {
    Subtraction subtraction = new Subtraction();
    }

    >Basically, the user will enter information (like a=1 and b=2 for a+b)
    >in addition.java (or negation.java) and not controlpanel.java

    In that case, there is little reason to call the main methods
    of the other classes, just construct and use the methods
    they have from the (single) 'main' class.

    >controlpanel.java is the main class to forward the user to a
    >particular class for operation. All these classes are under the same
    >Netbeans package.

    So that means they are in the same Java package?
    In that case, there will be no 'import's needed.

    >How can this be done? This is basic and I couldn't figure it out :
    >( Switch statements were clueless about running classes from a main
    >class.

    Huhh? What does that mean?
    Are you referring to using a switch to select the
    class to run? It could be done that way.

    --
    Andrew Thompson
    http://www.athompson.info/andrew/

    Andrew Thompson, Nov 7, 2007
  4. Andy

    Are Nybakk Guest

    Andy wrote:
    > Say I have 2 files -
    >
    > addition.java
    > negation.java
    >
    > Now in the main class (say controlpanel.java) I want something like
    > this -
    >
    > Print -" You want addition? Press 1"
    > " You want negation? Press 2"
    >
    > then it should run addition.java when the user inputs 1 or negation if
    > the user inputs 2
    >
    > Basically, the user will enter information (like a=1 and b=2 for a+b)
    > in addition.java (or negation.java) and not controlpanel.java
    >
    > controlpanel.java is the main class to forward the user to a
    > particular class for operation. All these classes are under the same
    > Netbeans package.
    >
    > How can this be done? This is basic and I couldn't figure it out :
    > ( Switch statements were clueless about running classes from a main
    > class.
    >
    > Thanks a lot!

    By creating objects?

    Or did you mean loading compiled code (.class)? If so, look up
    Class.forName(String)

    Are Nybakk, Nov 7, 2007