calling a web service on a standalone with no localhost running...

Eych

is it possible to include a web service dll with your application and
call its' methods without having an internet or localhost connection?
I realize the whole point of web services is the connect thru a server
(remotely or locally), but say you've created a big web service dll
and would like to include it in an application that would run on a
customer pc with no IIS running? is it possible with or without
work-arounds?

thanks...

Saurabh Nandu

If the code is going to execute on the client's local machine and you don't
need Web Service layer, then why use it in the first place.

Coming back to your question, you can definately directly reference the Dll
in your application as a normal class and invoke objects on it. Just
remember that this will become a normal class invocation and not a Web
Service invocation.

Regards,
Saurabh Nandu

Eych

thanks Saurabh,

the reason is to create one piece of code that can be used as a
service for those that have an internet connection and as a dll for
when there is no connection...yes, the dll won't be maintained and
update easily as a web service, but it's better than nothing for those
that can't get online...anytime the web service is updated, we can
send them a patch cd...

question,

about the dll that you said I can reference, is that the dll that is
automatically created once I build my project (in the bin folder)? I
tried adding that as a regular reference, but I don't get any of my
methods that I've created in the .asmx file? Is there a way to build
the .asmx file into a usable dll?

thanks again...