    from a html page?

    thanks
    bob

    bob, Sep 12, 2003

  2. David Dorward, Sep 12, 2003

  3. "David Dorward" <> wrote in message
    news:bjs8vv$m9p$1$...
    > bob wrote:
    > > how could i start a windows application (eg: wordpad, calc, notepad
    > > etc...) from a html page?

    > Or format! Don't forget format!
    >
    > http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Launch_executable

    Well, let's not destroy bob's dreams altogether. If the user is using IE
    (and let's face it, what stu^H^H^Hintelligent user wouldn't be?) then bob
    can open notepad for them...
    http://computerbytesman.com/security/notepadpopups.htm - How lovely :)

    --
    Andrew Cameron
    "Got my hand on my heart, I know no better location..."

    Andrew Cameron, Sep 12, 2003
  4. bob

    bob Guest

    hi guys,
    the idea behind this is to create a cd-rom that auto starts with a html page, then i want to have links that open notepad... etc
    the page that opens these applications would have a light description of it's basic functions.
    i fully understand the problem behind an application starting from a link but i don't neccessarily want to avoid the popup dialog box (this would be a nice feature to this presentation though) i just want to access these applications from local hard drive of the users computer rather than imbedding these applications into the cd-rom and having possibly infringed a law or something.

    so, would i have to create a link to notepad of /windows/notepad.exe (of which i would have to have another link for win2000 systems - /winnt/notepad.exe etc...) or could i call it via something like... run/notepad.exe/x/x ?

    p.s. Andrew that popup notepad thingy is pretty cool...

    bob, Sep 12, 2003
  5. Toby A Inkster, Sep 12, 2003
  6. bob

    bob Guest

    this sort of thing is what i'm looking for:

    javascript:('FindApp(NOTEPAD.exe)';

    bob, Sep 13, 2003
  7. bob

    bob Guest

    i'm thinking something like:

    file:///%systemroot%/NOTEPAD.EXE

    although this doesn't work file:///C:/windows/NOTEPAD.EXE does. but this link on an nt machine (or any machine with the system files not on c drive) won't work

    any ideas?

    bob, Sep 13, 2003
  8. bob

    rf Guest

    "bob" <> wrote in message
    >i'm thinking something like:

    >file:///%systemroot%/NOTEPAD.EXE

    >although this doesn't work file:///C:/windows/NOTEPAD.EXE does. but this

    link on an nt machine >(or any machine with the system files not on c drive)
    won't work

    >any ideas?

    Somebody gave you one. view-source:. Of course you have to fiddle around
    with the URI as view-source: demands a full URI, not a relative one.

    http://users.bigpond.net.au/rf/test/notepad.html

    You will need to tweek it to get it to work properly in Mozilla.

    BTW could you *please* switch off the HTML in your newsreader.

    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Sep 13, 2003
  9. bob

    rf Guest

    "rf" <> wrote in message

    > "bob" <> wrote in message
    > >i'm thinking something like:

    > >file:///%systemroot%/NOTEPAD.EXE

    > >although this doesn't work file:///C:/windows/NOTEPAD.EXE does. but

    this
    > link on an nt machine >(or any machine with the system files not on c

    drive)
    > won't work
    >
    > >any ideas?

    > Somebody gave you one. view-source:. Of course you have to fiddle around
    > with the URI as view-source: demands a full URI, not a relative one.

    Belay that. I re-read the thread and discovered that you wish to start any
    one of a number of programs. Well sorry but you are out of luck with a
    browser. You can not call an .exe without the download/open dialog poping
    up. The browsers have security code in them to specifically stop this.

    There are activeX controls out there that will allow you to do this but the
    user has to install the control.

    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Sep 13, 2003
  10. bob

    bob Guest

    hi richard,
    having the dialog box pop is not the issue, most replies
    have stated this can't be done and i don't have a problem with that.

    i am creating a cd-rom and i want to put links on an auto start html
    document that open some of the windows applicatioins like paint etc...

    i can call them with file:///C:/WINDOWS/NOTEPAD.EXE but if i am to run
    this on a number of windows platforms (eg: nt and win2000 would need to call
    it via file:///C:/WINNT/NOTEPAD.EXE ) it won't work.

    now i figure if i use something along the lines of:
    file:///%systemroot%/NOTEPAD.EXE (although this does not work for me), the
    link would work for any windows revision.

    any ideas?

    regards

    bob, Sep 13, 2003
  11. bob

    rf Guest

    "bob" <> wrote in message

    > "rf" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Belay that. I re-read the thread and discovered that you wish to start

    any
    > > one of a number of programs. Well sorry but you are out of luck with a
    > > browser. You can not call an .exe without the download/open dialog

    poping
    > > up. The browsers have security code in them to specifically stop this.
    > >
    > > There are activeX controls out there that will allow you to do this but

    > the
    > > user has to install the control.

    > hi richard,
    > having the dialog box pop is not the issue, most replies
    > have stated this can't be done and i don't have a problem with that.

    OK.

    > i am creating a cd-rom and i want to put links on an auto start html
    > document that open some of the windows applicatioins like paint etc...

    You cannot do this either. You cannot access programs (or any files for that
    matter) on the local file system. You simply do not know where they are. For
    example on one of platforms on one of my computers notepad lives at
    e:\win2000b\notepad.exe. On the same computer there are notepads at
    c:\win95chit\notepad.exe, c:\win95chis/notepad.exe and c:\win98\notepad.exe.

    > i can call them with file:///C:/WINDOWS/NOTEPAD.EXE but if i am to run
    > this on a number of windows platforms (eg: nt and win2000 would need to

    call
    > it via file:///C:/WINNT/NOTEPAD.EXE ) it won't work.

    See above. WINDOWS and WINNT are only the defaults.

    > now i figure if i use something along the lines of:
    > file:///%systemroot%/NOTEPAD.EXE (although this does not work for me), the
    > link would work for any windows revision.

    This is never going to work with a browser. I assume you obtained this by
    looking at .INF files. Well, the windows installer (the bloke that processes
    INF files) knows about this. The browser does not.

    > any ideas?

    On most default systems you can open notepad by linking to a file like
    file.txt - oops, no you can't, the browser will display it for you. Excell
    *may* open if you link to spreadsheet.xls. Paint *may* open if you link to
    picture.bmp (not on my system though). However this is totally beyond your
    control so this is a dead end.

    You *could* construct your own browser. This is actually very easy. C# is
    the language to use, it comes with a built in browser control, all you have
    to do is supply the chrome and you get to take action when a link is
    activated. You could then use the standard Windows API functions to find
    where notepad lives. You would have to abandon the visual bit and delve down
    to the underlying C++. GetWindowsDirectory is the API function to use. Hmmm,
    how do you find out where Word lives? Answer: you dont. Well, you actually
    can if you wish to walk the registry looking for file associations that
    point to word.exe (or whatever it's called) :)

    Have you thought of using CHM files, you know, compiled html help, the ones
    that windows use for all its help. The html help viewer (HH.EXE of course)
    *can* run programs and *does* know about things like %systemroot%. Remember
    last time you were searching around windows help and came across an icon
    that said "show me"? Click on it and it opens control panel or network
    diagnostics or whatever? The HTML help workshop may be downloaded from, of
    course, microsoft.com. Once again though where does Word live?

    We do, however, digress away from HTML :)

    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Sep 13, 2003
  12. bob

    bob Guest

    thanks for your help richard,
    every system i've used %systemroot% in the address has taken me to
    the system files (one of my systems is a quad boot with ME, 2000, 2000serv
    and XPpro on it and whilst in each os, this address works. (only tried
    Internet explorer and explorer) despite the varying drive assignment. but
    as a hyperlink... no go... i've just about given up on it.

    the help files idea is food for thought, i've been compiling the html
    into an exe, so maybe i should poke around in that direction

    thanks again
    bob

    bob, Sep 13, 2003
  13. bob

    Ken Williams Guest

    In article <eOA8b.98749$>, "bob" <> wrote:
    > i am creating a cd-rom and i want to put links on an auto start html
    >document that open some of the windows applicatioins like paint etc...

    Theres a commerical solution at
    http://www.particlesoftware.com/en/cdexample.html

    Completly transparent operation on all versions of windows. Just stick the CD
    in and your HTML menus will work and open anything you want.

    Ken Williams, Sep 13, 2003