Calling a windows application from inside the browser

Tamer Ibrahim

Hello,
Can I call, run, a windows application from my web application when the user
fires a certain event ?
Thank You.

Mark Rae [MVP]

Can I call, run, a windows application from my web application when the
user fires a certain event ?

Not natively - imagine if you could run format c: from behind a button...
:) OK, that's a bit of an extreme example, but you get the idea... :)

You could use something like WSH (or a bespoke ActiveX control) for this,
but you would also reduce your browser security settings... Obviously this
would limit you to IE, so no use at all for a public website...

Juan T. Llibre

re:
!> Can I call, run, a windows application from my web application when the user fires a certain event ?

Yes.

Mark Rae [MVP]

Thank you for your reply but I have no idea what WSH is.

Windows Scripting Host.

However, I'd strongly advise you not to even try to do this - one of the
main security features of all modern Internet browsers is geared
specifically to preventing this sort of activity...

Juan T. Llibre

Use System.Diagnostics.Process.Start()

The executable will run as the ASP.NET account,
so the ASP.NET account will need whichever permissions the process needs.

Tamer Ibrahim

It is an intranet application. Browser security issues can be arranged with
the customer.
So, how can I accomplish the required task with Active X, WSH or any other
way.

Mark Rae [MVP]

Use System.Diagnostics.Process.Start()

The executable will run as the ASP.NET account,
so the ASP.NET account will need whichever permissions the process needs.

I interpreted the OP as wanting to run a Windows app client-side...

Tamer Ibrahim

Yes, I want to run a Windows app on client-side...

I have created a test web site consists of one page and here is its code :

System.Diagnostics.Process p = new System.Diagnostics.Process();

p = System.Diagnostics.Process.Start("IExplore.exe");

}

It is not working and no exception appears ..!!

Mark Rae [MVP]

Yes, I want to run a Windows app on client-side...

That's what I thought, though you didn't specify that in your original
post...
It is not working and no exception appears ..!!

It won't work, because it is trying to run Internet Explorer on your
webserver...

Can you please explain *precisely* what you're trying to do here...

Tamer Ibrahim

Here is what I'm trying to do. Calling this windows application,
Archiving.exe, on the client side ....

System.Diagnostics.Process p = new System.Diagnostics.Process();

p = System.Diagnostics.Process.Start(@"C:\Program Files\The Pen IT\Archiving
System\Archiving.exe");

Juan T. Llibre

re:
!> I interpreted the OP as wanting to run a Windows app client-side...

I wish him good luck with that chore if that what he wants.

An ActiveX object would be the first thing to try but I,
like you, discourage their use given the security issues.

Users have to approve the installation of any ActiveX object
....and that is enough to cause problems.

The whole idea of the .Net Framework is *not* to do client-side processing,
except for UI actions and notifications which use Javascript, for which Ajax
is the ideal vehicle, although it will *not* run executables client-side either.

Mark Rae [MVP]

re:
!> I interpreted the OP as wanting to run a Windows app client-side...

I wish him good luck with that chore if that what he wants.

An ActiveX object would be the first thing to try but I,
like you, discourage their use given the security issues.

Users have to approve the installation of any ActiveX object
...and that is enough to cause problems.

The whole idea of the .Net Framework is *not* to do client-side
processing,
except for UI actions and notifications which use Javascript, for which
Ajax
is the ideal vehicle, although it will *not* run executables client-side
either.

Indeed - I've already advised him twice not to do this...