    Can I call, run, a windows application from my web application when the user
    fires a certain event ?
    Thank You.
    Tamer Ibrahim, Jul 31, 2007

  2. "Tamer Ibrahim" <> wrote in message
    news:%...

    > Can I call, run, a windows application from my web application when the
    > user fires a certain event ?

    Not natively - imagine if you could run format c: from behind a button...
    :) OK, that's a bit of an extreme example, but you get the idea... :)

    You could use something like WSH (or a bespoke ActiveX control) for this,
    but you would also reduce your browser security settings... Obviously this
    would limit you to IE, so no use at all for a public website...

    --
    Mark Rae
    ASP.NET MVP
    Mark Rae [MVP], Jul 31, 2007

  3. re:
    !> Can I call, run, a windows application from my web application when the user fires a certain event ?

    Yes.

    Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
    asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
    ======================================

    Juan T. Llibre, Jul 31, 2007
  4. Thank you for your reply but I have no idea what WSH is.

    Tamer Ibrahim, Aug 1, 2007
  5. How ?

    Tamer Ibrahim, Aug 1, 2007
  6. "Tamer Ibrahim" <> wrote in message

    > Thank you for your reply but I have no idea what WSH is.

    Windows Scripting Host.

    However, I'd strongly advise you not to even try to do this - one of the
    main security features of all modern Internet browsers is geared
    specifically to preventing this sort of activity...

    --
    Mark Rae
    ASP.NET MVP
    Mark Rae [MVP], Aug 1, 2007
  7. Use System.Diagnostics.Process.Start()

    The executable will run as the ASP.NET account,
    so the ASP.NET account will need whichever permissions the process needs.

    Juan T. Llibre, Aug 1, 2007
  8. It is an intranet application. Browser security issues can be arranged with
    the customer.
    So, how can I accomplish the required task with Active X, WSH or any other
    way.

    Tamer Ibrahim, Aug 1, 2007
  9. Mark Rae [MVP], Aug 1, 2007
  10. "Juan T. Llibre" <> wrote in message

    > Use System.Diagnostics.Process.Start()
    >
    > The executable will run as the ASP.NET account,
    > so the ASP.NET account will need whichever permissions the process needs.

    I interpreted the OP as wanting to run a Windows app client-side...

    --
    Mark Rae
    ASP.NET MVP
    Mark Rae [MVP], Aug 1, 2007
  11. Yes, I want to run a Windows app on client-side...

    I have created a test web site consists of one page and here is its code :

    System.Diagnostics.Process p = new System.Diagnostics.Process();

    p = System.Diagnostics.Process.Start("IExplore.exe");

    }

    It is not working and no exception appears ..!!

    Tamer Ibrahim, Aug 1, 2007
  12. "Tamer Ibrahim" <> wrote in message

    > Yes, I want to run a Windows app on client-side...

    That's what I thought, though you didn't specify that in your original
    post...

    > It is not working and no exception appears ..!!

    It won't work, because it is trying to run Internet Explorer on your
    webserver...

    Can you please explain *precisely* what you're trying to do here...

    --
    Mark Rae
    ASP.NET MVP
    Mark Rae [MVP], Aug 1, 2007
  13. Here is what I'm trying to do. Calling this windows application,
    Archiving.exe, on the client side ....

    System.Diagnostics.Process p = new System.Diagnostics.Process();

    p = System.Diagnostics.Process.Start(@"C:\Program Files\The Pen IT\Archiving
    System\Archiving.exe");

    }

    Tamer Ibrahim, Aug 1, 2007
  14. "Tamer Ibrahim" <> wrote in message

    > Here is what I'm trying to do. Calling this windows application,
    > Archiving.exe, on the client side ....

    > System.Diagnostics.Process p = new System.Diagnostics.Process();

    I already told you that won't work - that is server-side code, not
    client-side code.

    I've already provided you with a link showing you how to do this
    client-side - here it is again:
    http://www.faqts.com/knowledge_base/view.phtml/aid/31646/fid/124

    --
    Mark Rae
    ASP.NET MVP
    Mark Rae [MVP], Aug 1, 2007
  15. re:
    !> I interpreted the OP as wanting to run a Windows app client-side...

    I wish him good luck with that chore if that what he wants.

    An ActiveX object would be the first thing to try but I,
    like you, discourage their use given the security issues.

    Users have to approve the installation of any ActiveX object
    ....and that is enough to cause problems.

    The whole idea of the .Net Framework is *not* to do client-side processing,
    except for UI actions and notifications which use Javascript, for which Ajax
    is the ideal vehicle, although it will *not* run executables client-side either.

    Juan T. Llibre, Aug 1, 2007
  16. "Juan T. Llibre" <> wrote in message

    > re:
    > !> I interpreted the OP as wanting to run a Windows app client-side...
    >
    > I wish him good luck with that chore if that what he wants.
    >
    > An ActiveX object would be the first thing to try but I,
    > like you, discourage their use given the security issues.
    >
    > Users have to approve the installation of any ActiveX object
    > ...and that is enough to cause problems.
    >
    > The whole idea of the .Net Framework is *not* to do client-side
    > processing,
    > except for UI actions and notifications which use Javascript, for which
    > Ajax
    > is the ideal vehicle, although it will *not* run executables client-side
    > either.

    Indeed - I've already advised him twice not to do this...

    --
    Mark Rae
    ASP.NET MVP
    Mark Rae [MVP], Aug 1, 2007