    an anchor on the same page.
    Hopefully eliminating the need for iframes and a few hundred files.

    Doable? Any sites?

    richard, Dec 18, 2008

  2. richard wrote:
    > I'll try to make this as simple as I can.
    >
    > I have the idea of having two columns on one page.
    > In the left column will be a list of names.
    > In the right column detailed information.
    >
    > Clicking on an item in the left column moves the right column down to
    > an anchor on the same page.
    > Hopefully eliminating the need for iframes and a few hundred files.
    >
    > Doable? Any sites?

    <head>
    <title>One NON-JS way</title>

    ul.topics {
    list-style: none; position: fixed;
    width: 15em; left: 0; margin: 0; padding: .25em;
    color: #000; background: #eee;
    }
    div.info { margin: 0 1em 0 16em; }

    </head>
    <h1>One NON-JS way</h1>

    <ul class="topics">
    <li>
    </li>
    <li>
    </li>
    <li>
    </li>
    </ul>

    <h2 id="fee">About Fee</h2>
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer ...

    Suspendisse potenti. Suspendisse potenti ...

    <h2 id="foe">About Foe</h2>
    Pellentesque eros purus, consequat sit amet ...

    Duis dapibus, dolor eget scelerisque ultricies ...

    <h2 id="fum">About Fum</h2>

    Suspendisse egestas tempor erat. Duis urna ...

    Morbi mollis. Quisque sollicitudin, nisi ...

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Jonathan N. Little, Dec 18, 2008

  3. richard

    richard Guest

    On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 10:16:57 -0500, "Jonathan N. Little"
    <> wrote:

    ><!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN"

    Thanks.
    That's close to what I had in mind.
    I'll play with it and tweak it up.

    richard, Dec 18, 2008
  4. richard wrote:
    > On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 10:16:57 -0500, "Jonathan N. Little"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN"
    >> "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">

    > Thanks.
    > That's close to what I had in mind.
    > I'll play with it and tweak it up.

    You did notice the:

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------

    Jonathan N. Little, Dec 18, 2008
  5. richard

    <> wrote:

    >richard wrote:
    >> I'll try to make this as simple as I can.
    >>
    >> I have the idea of having two columns on one page.
    >> In the left column will be a list of names.
    >> In the right column detailed information.
    >>
    >> Clicking on an item in the left column moves the right column down to
    >> an anchor on the same page.
    >> Hopefully eliminating the need for iframes and a few hundred files.
    >>
    >> Doable? Any sites?

    ><!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN"

    Well I've got the first half done.
    Now all I need to do is to figure out a way of coordinating all the
    needed ID's.
    So that left side matches right side.

    richard, Dec 18, 2008
  6. richard

    BootNic Guest

    On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 10:16:57 -0500
    "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote in:
    <1ebf0$494a6968$40cba7a8$>

    [snip]

    > ul.topics {
    > list-style: none; position: fixed;
    > width: 15em; left: 0; margin: 0; padding: .25em;
    > color: #000; background: #eee;
    > }
    > div.info { margin: 0 1em 0 16em; }

    <!--[if IE 6]>
    html {
    overflow-y: hidden;
    }
    html body {
    height: 100%;
    margin: 0;
    overflow: auto;
    padding: 0;
    }
    ul.topics {
    position: absolute;
    top: 5em;
    }
    <![endif]-->

    [snip]

    [snip]

    It may be possible to simulate position:fixed in IE6, without JS.

    http://www.google.com/search?q=IE6 position fixed

    It may not be worth the effort.

    --

    BootNic Thu Dec 18, 2008 02:03 pm
    A man's got to do what a man's got to do. A woman must do what he

    BootNic, Dec 18, 2008
  7. richard

    richard Guest

    On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 12:39:14 -0500, "Jonathan N. Little"
    <> wrote:

    >richard wrote:
    >> On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 10:16:57 -0500, "Jonathan N. Little"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN"
    >>> "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">

    >> Thanks.
    >> That's close to what I had in mind.
    >> I'll play with it and tweak it up.

    >You did notice the:

    <snicker>
    Like how many people *STILL* use IE5 or less?
    5 came with winduhs 95 right? or maybe 98.
    98se was 6.

    Then with all the changes in not only html, but CSS as well, I wonder
    how people even got online with less than 6.

    richard, Dec 18, 2008
  8. richard

    richard Guest

    On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 14:03:25 -0500, BootNic <>
    wrote:

    >On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 10:16:57 -0500
    >"Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote in:
    ><1ebf0$494a6968$40cba7a8$>
    >
    >[snip]

    >> ul.topics {
    >> list-style: none; position: fixed;
    >> width: 15em; left: 0; margin: 0; padding: .25em;
    >> color: #000; background: #eee;
    >> }
    >> div.info { margin: 0 1em 0 16em; }

    ><!--[if IE 6]>
    >html {
    > overflow-y: hidden;
    >}
    >html body {
    > height: 100%;
    > margin: 0;
    > overflow: auto;
    > padding: 0;
    >}
    >ul.topics {
    > position: absolute;
    > top: 5em;
    >}
    ><![endif]-->
    >
    >[snip]

    >[snip]
    >
    >It may be possible to simulate position:fixed in IE6, without JS.
    >
    > http://www.google.com/search?q=IE6 position fixed
    >
    >It may not be worth the effort.

    I'm not gonna worry about it.
    The way I see it, THEY need to upgrade. I don't need to do something
    special for 1 out of 20.

    Like can you imagine trying to surf the net on a 300 baud accoustical
    modem?
    So why should I write a page for them?

    richard, Dec 18, 2008
  9. richard wrote:
    > On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 12:39:14 -0500, "Jonathan N. Little"
    > <> wrote:

    > <snicker>
    > Like how many people *STILL* use IE5 or less?
    > 5 came with winduhs 95 right? or maybe 98.
    > 98se was 6.

    "<=IE6" *includes* IE6 which unfortunately style has significant number
    of users...

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------

    Jonathan N. Little, Dec 18, 2008
  10. Jonathan N. Little wrote:

    > "<=IE6" *includes* IE6 which unfortunately style has significant number
    > of users...

    s/style/still/

    GRRRR...

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------

    Jonathan N. Little, Dec 18, 2008
  11. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Old hardware user
    <> writing in news:f0fqk4lh97bhhio7tld5nfujbnsmvlc6r9@
    4ax.com:

    > On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 15:06:10 -0500, richard <>
    > wrote:
    >>Like can you imagine trying to surf the net on a 300 baud accoustical
    >>modem? ....

    > The acoustic modems were 110 baud. Those blazingly fast 300 baud
    > modems were all electronic. Ah, the days of D/Ling a text file on the
    > Atari 800XL and being able to read the entire document as it went
    > through the buffer on its way to the floppy disk.

    1980, Beverly Hill, we had a "telecopier" that used a coupler. I was
    wearing a dress with long fringed collar. Wasn't paying attention,
    fringe started "faxing" - Thank God it was slow, I just had to remove
    the handset from the coupler. I would probably be dead with modern fax
    machines.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services

    Adrienne Boswell, Dec 20, 2008
  12. richard

    Neredbojias Guest

    On 20 Dec 2008, Adrienne Boswell <> wrote:

    >> The acoustic modems were 110 baud. Those blazingly fast 300 baud
    >> modems were all electronic. Ah, the days of D/Ling a text file on the
    >> Atari 800XL and being able to read the entire document as it went
    >> through the buffer on its way to the floppy disk.
    >>

    > 1980, Beverly Hill, we had a "telecopier" that used a coupler. I was
    > wearing a dress with long fringed collar. Wasn't paying attention,
    > fringe started "faxing" - Thank God it was slow, I just had to remove
    > the handset from the coupler. I would probably be dead with modern fax
    > machines.

    Or naked <evil grin>.

    --
    Neredbojias