calling anchors on split divisions

richard

I'll try to make this as simple as I can.

I have the idea of having two columns on one page.
In the left column will be a list of names.
In the right column detailed information.

Clicking on an item in the left column moves the right column down to
an anchor on the same page.
Hopefully eliminating the need for iframes and a few hundred files.

Doable? Any sites?

Jonathan N. Little

richard said:
I'll try to make this as simple as I can.

I have the idea of having two columns on one page.
In the left column will be a list of names.
In the right column detailed information.

Clicking on an item in the left column moves the right column down to
an anchor on the same page.
Hopefully eliminating the need for iframes and a few hundred files.

Doable? Any sites?

<head>
<title>One NON-JS way</title>

ul.topics {
list-style: none; position: fixed;
width: 15em; left: 0; margin: 0; padding: .25em;
color: #000; background: #eee;
}
div.info { margin: 0 1em 0 16em; }

</head>
<h1>One NON-JS way</h1>

<ul class="topics">
<li>
</li>
<li>
</li>
<li>
</li>
</ul>

<h2 id="fee">About Fee</h2>
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer ...

Suspendisse potenti. Suspendisse potenti ...

<h2 id="foe">About Foe</h2>
Pellentesque eros purus, consequat sit amet ...

Duis dapibus, dolor eget scelerisque ultricies ...

<h2 id="fum">About Fum</h2>

Suspendisse egestas tempor erat. Duis urna ...

Morbi mollis. Quisque sollicitudin, nisi ...

Jonathan N. Little

richard said:
Thanks.
That's close to what I had in mind.
I'll play with it and tweak it up.

You did notice the:

BootNic

On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 10:16:57 -0500
<[email protected]>

[snip]
ul.topics {
list-style: none; position: fixed;
width: 15em; left: 0; margin: 0; padding: .25em;
color: #000; background: #eee;
}
div.info { margin: 0 1em 0 16em; }

<!--[if IE 6]>
html {
overflow-y: hidden;
}
html body {
height: 100%;
margin: 0;
overflow: auto;
padding: 0;
}
ul.topics {
position: absolute;
top: 5em;
}
<![endif]-->

[snip]

[snip]

It may be possible to simulate position:fixed in IE6, without JS.

http://www.google.com/search?q=IE6+position+fixed

It may not be worth the effort.

--

BootNic Thu Dec 18, 2008 02:03 pm
A man's got to do what a man's got to do. A woman must do what he

richard

You did notice the:

<snicker>
Like how many people *STILL* use IE5 or less?
5 came with winduhs 95 right? or maybe 98.
98se was 6.

Then with all the changes in not only html, but CSS as well, I wonder
how people even got online with less than 6.

richard

[...]

I'm not gonna worry about it.
The way I see it, THEY need to upgrade. I don't need to do something
special for 1 out of 20.

Like can you imagine trying to surf the net on a 300 baud accoustical
modem?
So why should I write a page for them?

Jonathan N. Little

richard said:
On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 12:39:14 -0500, "Jonathan N. Little"

<snicker>
Like how many people *STILL* use IE5 or less?
5 came with winduhs 95 right? or maybe 98.
98se was 6.

"<=IE6" *includes* IE6 which unfortunately style has significant number
of users...

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Old hardware user
The acoustic modems were 110 baud. Those blazingly fast 300 baud
modems were all electronic. Ah, the days of D/Ling a text file on the
Atari 800XL and being able to read the entire document as it went
through the buffer on its way to the floppy disk.

1980, Beverly Hill, we had a "telecopier" that used a coupler. I was
wearing a dress with long fringed collar. Wasn't paying attention,
fringe started "faxing" - Thank God it was slow, I just had to remove
the handset from the coupler. I would probably be dead with modern fax
machines.

Neredbojias

1980, Beverly Hill, we had a "telecopier" that used a coupler. I was
wearing a dress with long fringed collar. Wasn't paying attention,
fringe started "faxing" - Thank God it was slow, I just had to remove
the handset from the coupler. I would probably be dead with modern fax
machines.

Or naked <evil grin>.