Calling BeginInvoke from within a WebMethod

ERichardson

I need to know if the following basic approach is a sound one.

My client is a .net web application. I'm calling a webservice method
synchronously. The webmethod calls BeginInvoke to start a new thread that
executes a long-running process, passing a callback delegate, which is a
protected method of the webservice class. The webmethod then returns to the
client. The client does not care about the return value of the
behind-the-scenes asynchronous call.

All seems to work OK, but I have not seen a sample of this sort of thing
(ie. a web client example), so I have doubts about the approach. Is using a
COM+ application to do the same thing a better approach?