Calling dotnet assembly from URL

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by hungrymind@gmail.com, Aug 17, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Hi All,

    What I am trying to do is call one dll with query string as parameter,
    based on that my dll will decide how to perform. Basically I am trying
    to create assebly which will return some value in xml or any format
    based on querystring.

    To start with I have created one assembly with main function which
    alerts window alert box.

    class TestClass{
    public static void Main() {
    System.Windows.Forms.MessageBox.Show("hi");
    }
    Now in another project I have written
    Response.Redirect(@"Project1.dll?i=1");
    on button click event.

    I tried calling dll using absolute URL path as well, but it gives error
    "System.Security.SecurityException". Then I tried to configure IIS for
    that particular virtual folder & enabled excutables to run, then I see
    white page in browser with error "The specified procedure could not be
    found." I tried to put dll in GAC after strong nameing, but it didnt
    work as well.

    Is it possible to call an assembly in such way. However I have seen
    such application earlier where you call dll with querystring & it gives
    pages based on data requested, probably developed in VB or some other
    languages. For example, VB6 creates search.dll for ASP projects, which
    works in same manner. Another example is
    https://203.122.18.250/WorldClient.dll?View=Main

    My aim is to call this URL via SOAP using javascript, & dll will return
    some data to javascript, which will be used to display the data. I can
    call another aspx or any other page but I want to keep the file in one
    assembly & would be used as control.

    Please let me know if such thing is possible or not. If yes, how?

    Help appreciated in anticiaption,

    regards,
    - hungrymind
    http://www.hungrymind.co.in

    , Aug 17, 2005

    ..NET/ASP.NET/IIS don't really work this way.

    Your best bet would be to create an ASP.NET HTTP Handler by
    implementing System.Web.IHttpHandler.

    Doing a quick google search for "ASP.NET Http Handler" will return many
    examples.

    , Aug 17, 2005