Calling Exe in Asp

Vinod

Hi Steven,

I will explain the scenario, when i run my exe from dos prompt it
works fine.The end result of the exe is to
convert all the files in the folder to encrypted file.The exe works
fine.

When i call this exe thru asp program.Its not showing the desired
results ie the files are still in the same format its not encrypted.

I used the following method

Set server_shell = Server.CreateObject("wscript.shell")
server_shell.Run "%comspec% /c c:\test\encrypt.exe"

There is no error coming after the execution of the above.

Regards
Vinod

Vinod

The files will be wmv files.The path can be specified as an argument.
Its not a downloadable utility. It resides in a folder in the server and i
will invoke it thru my asp program.

Or
If it is a downloadable utility it will display the popup message
(open,save), is there a way around so that it will by default will open and
i wont see
this popup.

Regards
Vinod

McKirahan said:
Vinod said:
Hi Steven,

I will explain the scenario, when i run my exe from dos prompt it
works fine.The end result of the exe is to
convert all the files in the folder to encrypted file.The exe works
fine.

When i call this exe thru asp program.Its not showing the desired
results ie the files are still in the same format its not encrypted.

I used the following method

Set server_shell = Server.CreateObject("wscript.shell")
server_shell.Run "%comspec% /c c:\test\encrypt.exe"

There is no error coming after the execution of the above.

Regards
Vinod

[snip]

Where are the files?
Are they also in "c:\test\"?
Or can you specify a path as an argument?
Is "encrypt.exe" a downloadable utility?

Vinod

Hi,
I have a problem, i am calling an exe from asp program. Its not working
fine.
When i execute the exe through the dos program directly i get the desired
result.
My exe will convert files in the folder to encrypted files.

But when i call it thru asp program its not working fine. I have tried the
following method.

a) Calling the exe through shell program.
b) Calling the exe through ASPEXEC.
c) Calling the exe through the Batch Files.

I would like to know your suggestions.

Regards
Vinod

Roland Hall

in message : I have a problem, i am calling an exe from asp program. Its not working
: fine.
: When i execute the exe through the dos program directly i get the desired
: result.
A single tasking mode app that only uses real memory?

: My exe will convert files in the folder to encrypted files.
What type?

: But when i call it thru asp program its not working fine. I have tried the
: following method.
Fine is relative.

: a) Calling the exe through shell program.
: b) Calling the exe through ASPEXEC.
: c) Calling the exe through the Batch Files.
:
: I would like to know your suggestions.

With all the calling you've probably run over on your minutes. It's peak
hours and you could be roaming. My suggestion is wait until after 9pm and
try again or display the errors you are getting with the processes you are
trying.

--
Roland Hall
or fitness for a particular purpose. */

Vinod

McKirahan said:
Vinod said:
The files will be wmv files.The path can be specified as an argument.
Its not a downloadable utility. It resides in a folder in the server and i
will invoke it thru my asp program.

Or
If it is a downloadable utility it will display the popup message
(open,save), is there a way around so that it will by default will open and
i wont see
this popup.

Regards
Vinod

[snip]

Set server_shell = Server.CreateObject("wscript.shell")
server_shell.Run "%comspec% /c c:\test\encrypt.exe"

Is the code you posted (above) the code you run or just an example?

It doesn't include a path to your ".wmv" files?

When you specify a path make sure that it's relative to your Web root.

Also, I was asking where can I download this utility to test it.

(Please do not top post.)

Hi,

The code i posted above is just an example only small changes is there. I
will say the full code will look like this

Set server_shell = Server.CreateObject("wscript.shell")
server_shell.Run "%comspec% /c c:\test\encrypt.exe c:\test\"

The first parameter will be the folder name and the second parameter will be
the location of wmv files.

See my exe will be present in the server and the files will also reside in
the server, i will change the location of the files dynamically thru the
program.

If you can suggest me any place i will upload it there.

Regards
Vinod

McKirahan

Vinod said:
[...]

Sune

a) Calling the exe through shell program.
b) Calling the exe through ASPEXEC.
c) Calling the exe through the Batch Files.
Hi,
I'm going to tag along at this thread - dealing with the same problem as
you at the moment.
I have a some .bat files generating .txt files with pings and traceroutes
to certain hosts, and i need to call these .bat files from asp.
I have tried with wscript.shell and AspExec, and also i am not getting any
errors but the files aren't getting executed
I have tried assigning iusr_servername permissions on both tracert.exe, ping.exe,
cmd.exe and the .bat files.

The script combinations i have tried are the following, and the fiels works
fine when calling them manually on the server:

set wshell = server.createobject("wscript.shell")
wshell.Run "cmd.exe /c c:\Inetpub\wwwroot\scripts\script.bat"
set wshell = nothing

set wshell = server.createobject("wscript.shell")
Response.write wshell.run("c:\Inetpub\wwwroot\scripts\script.bat")
set wshell = nothing

Set Executor = Server.CreateObject("ASPExec.Execute")
Executor.Application = "c:\Inetpub\wwwroot\scripts\script.bat"
Executor.TimeOut = 10000
Executor.ShowWindow = False
Executor.ExecuteWinApp

Set Executor = Server.CreateObject("ASPExec.Execute")
Executor.Application = "cmd.exe"
Executor.Parameters = "/c c:\Inetpub\wwwroot\scripts\script.bat"
Executor.TimeOut = 10000
Executor.ShowWindow = False
Executor.ExecuteWinApp

I have tried with executing as DosApp too and with ShowWindows = True, without
any luck.
I tried the AspExec example tracerouting too, however this didnt work until
i gave iusr_servername permissions at tracert.exe - but which permissions
can be missing when it still aint working in my bat files? they look like
this:

ping -a cnn.com > c:\Inetpub\wwwroot\data\ping.txt
tracert cnn.com > c:\Inetpub\wwwroot\data\traceroute.txt

Could it perhaps be something that denies the bat file to write the textfiles?
I have assigned writing permissions for iusr_servername too, but is there
any application i am missing to assign them to?
And is there anything that i could add to the .bat file so that i could see
if it's even being executed or not?