Calling exe that accesses DB from ASP

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Earl, Oct 19, 2003.

  1. Earl

    Earl Guest

    If calling an exe that accesses a database from an ASP
    page, does the Provider string to connect to the database
    from inside the exe need to have the user as
    being "IUSR..." or something since it is an anonymous
    Internet user accessing the ASP page?

    Any help/advice would be appreciated about potential
    problems/concerns when calling an exe from an ASP and
    then subsequently accessing a database from within that
    exe. Is there a problem having forms in the exe, even
    though they are not being loaded or shown during
    processing? Is there a problem calling the exe with a
    command line string from the ASP page? Does the exe see
    the current user as being the "IUSR..." user since it was
    called from an ASP page? Is it necessary to have each
    called procedure write to a text file just to have the
    prodedure execute it's code? The reason I ask that is
    because at one point at least, it seemed as though the
    program would jump from one procedure into the next only
    if I was to make the procedure being called write at
    least one line to a text file.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much
    for your time.

    Earl
    Earl, Oct 19, 2003

  2. Earl

    Bob Barrows Guest

    Earl wrote:
    > If calling an exe that accesses a database from an ASP

    What kind of database?

    > page, does the Provider string to connect to the database
    > from inside the exe need to have the user as
    > being "IUSR..." or something since it is an anonymous
    > Internet user accessing the ASP page?

    It depends on the type of database and the type of security being used by
    the database.

    > Any help/advice would be appreciated about potential
    > problems/concerns when calling an exe from an ASP and
    > then subsequently accessing a database from within that
    > exe. Is there a problem having forms in the exe, even
    > though they are not being loaded or shown during
    > processing? Is there a problem calling the exe with a
    > command line string from the ASP page? Does the exe see
    > the current user as being the "IUSR..." user since it was
    > called from an ASP page?

    All code run in an asp page. and called by that asp page, is run under the
    context of the IUSR account, unless the account has been configured to
    masquerade as some other account

    > Is it necessary to have each
    > called procedure write to a text file just to have the
    > prodedure execute it's code?

    What would that solve?

    > The reason I ask that is
    > because at one point at least, it seemed as though the
    > program would jump from one procedure into the next only
    > if I was to make the procedure being called write at
    > least one line to a text file.

    That's bizarre. I fail to see what writing text to a text file has to do
    with accessing a database.

    Bob Barrows

    --
    Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
    "NO SPAM"
    Bob Barrows, Oct 19, 2003

  3. Earl

    Earl Guest

    Thank You Bob,

    The database is Access 2000. That is good to know that
    it would be seen as using "IUSR..." account unless
    something has been intentionally done to change that.

    I agree that is bizarre that it appeared as though I
    needed to write to a text file from each procedure to
    have that procedure be acknowledged. You're right that
    really has nothing to do with the database. It is just
    another potential problem I've been having in trying to
    have this ASP call the exe,which then accesses the
    database.

    Thank you for your time
    Earl
    Earl, Oct 19, 2003