calling java from DOTNET 2? how stable or painfull?

Elhanan

hi.. (sorry but i posted this in a dotnet newsgroup as well becoue i
don't know which would be better handling this question).

i have a java application server whish uses RMI as a delivery transport
for it's apis (it's gets the command in XML but the underlying protocol
needs to be RMI)..

so i need to write an RMI CLIENT to this thing, and expose it microsoft
land.

at first we thought to have it exposed as web service and consume this
service via dotnet dll. the dll would be given to desktop application
developers which canno parse XML.

then i was told i could expose it as JNI and have the dll access it
directly. then the dll in dot net 2.0 would either be given to desktop
developers or exposed as a web service in biztalk if web services are
needed.

btw can i do all of this with express edition versions?

robert

Elhanan escreveu:
[...]

If you have a choice, expose it as a web service using style document /
literal. Its about 100 times simpler than JNI. So just have a web
service that itself invokes RMI, then return what RMI does. If you've
never used JNI, it'll take a few weeks to learn it versus a couple days
for axis / jwsdp. I believe your 2 choices for JNI are C/C++ (VC++ in
windows) and assembly. JNI is not an easy API to learn.

HTH,
Robert
http://www.braziloutsource.com/