    What is the best way to do this? I thought that the user control should have
    its own methods to take care of the updates but how should the main page call
    these methods or is there a better way to do this?

    =?Utf-8?B?TmVpbA==?=, Aug 25, 2004

  2. =?Utf-8?B?TmVpbA==?=

    Karl Guest

    The best way, in my opinion, is to have the page raise an event, which the
    user controls are hooked into.

    Basically, your page defines an event:
    Public Event Save As EventHandler

    on the click event of the page, you raise the event:

    System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
    RaiseEvent Save(Me, e)
    End Sub

    in the user control(s) you hook into the event:

    System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
    AddHandler CType(Page, TYPEOFPAGEHERE).Save, AddressOf OnSave
    'TYPEOFPAGEHERE is going to be like WebForm1 or something
    End Sub

    and then you have your control's save function:

    Private Sub OnSave(ByVal source As Object, ByVal e As EventArgs)
    'do your magic here
    End Sub

    Karl

    "Neil" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have an aspx page page with some existing controls code etc. This page

    has
    > an update button which updates a SQL Db based on any user changes. I need

    > add a new section to this page and a few other pages. I think that it's

    best
    > to create a user control for this purpose. This user control will contain

    > number of webcontrols e.g textbox, dropdown etc When the user clicks

    update
    > on the main page I need to update the DB as before for the original

    controls

    Karl, Aug 25, 2004