Calling out-of-proc COM object from ASP.NET

Martin Knopp

Anybody here can shed some light on this issue?

Is it at all possible to call out-of-proc COM objects from ASP.NET?

If yes, what configuration settings are required?

I played around many hours already trying to get all security settings done
(as I did not find specific informations I followed the general rules for
getting ASP to work with out-of-proc COM objects).

Any help would be highly appreciated!

I am running on Win2K German and VS.NET 2002 and .NET Framework 1.0; if
migration to .NET 1.1 and VS.NET 2003 solves my problem it would be fine but
I don't want to upgrade yet unless it really solves the problem.

--
Martin Knopp
fecher GmbH

-- Alle Dienstleistungen von fecher im Überlick!
http://www.fecher.at/services/ --

-- Gupta Roadmap für SQLBase und Team Developer mit Themen wie Unicode,
Linux und .NET - informieren Sie sich hier:
http://www.fecher.at/GuptaRoadmapJuly2003 --

-- Windows style web application powered by Team Developer, Building Blocks
XP and ASP.NET here: http://www2.fecher.de/islandweb/ --

-- fecher ist Premium Partner der Firma Gupta und bietet Ihnen alle
Produkte und Dienstleistungen in diesem Segment --

Martin Knopp

sorry, I forgot some important info:

Calling the same out-of-proc COM object from a .NET Windows applications
(WinForms) works well.

--
Martin Knopp
fecher GmbH
email: (e-mail address removed)
web: http://www.fecher.at

-- Alle Dienstleistungen von fecher im Überlick!
http://www.fecher.at/services/ --

-- Gupta Roadmap für SQLBase und Team Developer mit Themen wie Unicode,
Linux und .NET - informieren Sie sich hier:
http://www.fecher.at/GuptaRoadmapJuly2003 --

-- Windows style web application powered by Team Developer, Building Blocks
XP and ASP.NET here: http://www2.fecher.de/islandweb/ --

-- fecher ist Premium Partner der Firma Gupta und bietet Ihnen alle
Produkte und Dienstleistungen in diesem Segment --

Dave Purrington

Martin:

I don't know if this is going to help, but I've been working with similar
issues regarding interop and ASP.NET. In my case, I'm using an in-process
COM object, so the analogy may break down at some point.

I think the biggest thing to understand is how the COM object is run. What
I've discovered is that the runtime callable wrapper (RCW) runs in a
separate process from the CLR (it probably uses dllhost.exe, or something).
This other process starts in the same security context as the owner of the
calling process.

In the case of a .NET Windows app, this will be whatever account you're
logged in as. Your account probably has the necessary permissions. In
ASP.NET, by default the ASPNET user owns the process (aspnet_wp.exe), and is
the owner of the non-managed process as well.

Any security settings you need to make will have to take this into account.

Hope this helps.

Dave P.

Martin Knopp

Thanks for the info but it doesn't help me because I am completely aware of
this issues and up to my knowledge I did set all permissions correctly but
it still doesn't work.

Anyway thanks for your answer and I hope someone else can shed some more
light on this topic.