Calling SubmitForm-Method from outside the PDF-Document by browser script

Robby

Hello!

- initally: english is not my native tongue (you'll notice about ;-)
so don't feel astonished, if the description of my question seem to be
pretty complicated -

I have build an asp.net web-application to compose pdf-documents from
several templates and fill them up with data from our companies
datasources and data, entered by the user. so far, everything works
fine ;-)

As a special feature, I like to enable the users to fill in the
PDF-Forms data directly into the pdf-form and afterwards submit the
form with its data to the server. This is no problem, when using the
PDF-Docs submitForm-Method (or the submit-button-feature). The problem
is, that i have to use many third-party documents. These documents
can't be edited, because they are locked by password - in addition
they are so many and they are updated by the vendor very often, so it
would be very time-consuming, to keep them up to date.

so I am looking for some kind of pdf-viewer-webcontrol (or a
comparatively work-around), to display the pdf-document in the clients
browser (just like the pdf.ocx (distributes with adobes acrobat
reader), which allows client-side access to the pdf-documents
doc-object or supplies a submitform-method, which can be called
instead.

I hope, you can understand the meaning of words ;-)
i'll be thankfull for all hints.

bye, r.

Nick Goloborodko

Hi,

I have not looked at this kindof problem before, so i do not know if this is
the optimal approach to take, buit here comes:

Place an <iframe> somewhere on the page and echo PDF contents into it. The
user would (should) be requested whether the document should be opened in
the browser (in this case inside on an <iframe>)

Also u might have to modify the HTTP headers of the content which is sent to
this frame (well i'm coming from the PHP background - and thats the
approach u would take)

HTH
Nick Goloborodko

Robby

Hi Nick,

thank you very much for your hints upon my question.
unfortunately it don't meet my intentions.

my problem is not about to find a "container" to display the
pdf-document in. This could be managed by several ways, for example by
frames or using adobe's pdf.ocx or - as you mentioned - by using the
iframe-tag.

What I need is a container (or any equivalent thing), which allows me
to access the pdfs doc-object by client-sided scripting (for calling
the .submitForm method from outside) or that publishes these method
within its own interface, so I'm abble to initiate the transfer of the
documents form data back to the server from outside the pdf-document.

anyhow - thanks for your efforts,
r.