Calling SubmitForm-Method from outside the PDF-Document by browser script

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Controls' started by Robby, Feb 24, 2005.

  1. Robby

    Robby Guest

    Hello!

    - initally: english is not my native tongue (you'll notice about ;-)
    so don't feel astonished, if the description of my question seem to be
    pretty complicated -

    I have build an asp.net web-application to compose pdf-documents from
    several templates and fill them up with data from our companies
    datasources and data, entered by the user. so far, everything works
    fine ;-)

    As a special feature, I like to enable the users to fill in the
    PDF-Forms data directly into the pdf-form and afterwards submit the
    form with its data to the server. This is no problem, when using the
    PDF-Docs submitForm-Method (or the submit-button-feature). The problem
    is, that i have to use many third-party documents. These documents
    can't be edited, because they are locked by password - in addition
    they are so many and they are updated by the vendor very often, so it
    would be very time-consuming, to keep them up to date.

    so I am looking for some kind of pdf-viewer-webcontrol (or a
    comparatively work-around), to display the pdf-document in the clients
    browser (just like the pdf.ocx (distributes with adobes acrobat
    reader), which allows client-side access to the pdf-documents
    doc-object or supplies a submitform-method, which can be called
    instead.

    I hope, you can understand the meaning of words ;-)
    i'll be thankfull for all hints.

    bye, r.

    Robby, Feb 24, 2005

  2. Hi,

    I have not looked at this kindof problem before, so i do not know if this is
    the optimal approach to take, buit here comes:

    Place an <iframe> somewhere on the page and echo PDF contents into it. The
    user would (should) be requested whether the document should be opened in
    the browser (in this case inside on an <iframe>)

    Also u might have to modify the HTTP headers of the content which is sent to
    this frame (well i'm coming from the PHP background - and thats the
    approach u would take)

    HTH
    Nick Goloborodko

    Nick Goloborodko, Feb 24, 2005

  3. Robby

    Robby Guest

    Hi Nick,

    thank you very much for your hints upon my question.
    unfortunately it don't meet my intentions.

    my problem is not about to find a "container" to display the
    pdf-document in. This could be managed by several ways, for example by
    frames or using adobe's pdf.ocx or - as you mentioned - by using the
    iframe-tag.

    What I need is a container (or any equivalent thing), which allows me
    to access the pdfs doc-object by client-sided scripting (for calling
    the .submitForm method from outside) or that publishes these method
    within its own interface, so I'm abble to initiate the transfer of the
    documents form data back to the server from outside the pdf-document.

    anyhow - thanks for your efforts,
    r.

    Robby, Feb 25, 2005