Calling web form method from user control

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Simon Harris, Feb 21, 2005.

  1. Simon Harris

    Simon Harris Guest

    Hi All,

    I am trying to call a method in a web form, from an event fired in a user
    control. My user control displays a map, which has a link button to
    enlarge/shrink the map. When the user enlarges the map, I want to hide my
    navigation table etc, maximising the viewing area. I've been working on this
    for 5 hours now, so far I have as detailed below - Which rund with out
    error, but the final function never gets called. Any help/suggestions would
    be appreciated.

    Heres how far I have got:
    ==================

    1) My user control is called map_display.ascx. This contains a link button,
    onclick does the following, which is in map_display.ascx.vb:

    Private Sub lbEnlarge_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As
    System.EventArgs) Handles lbEnlarge.Click
    Dim evt As New EventArgs
    Call MyEnlarge(e)
    If Me.lbEnlarge.Text = "Shrink" Then
    ChangeMapSize(pInitialMapSize)
    Me.lbEnlarge.Text = "Enlarge"
    Else
    ChangeMapSize("700x350")
    Me.lbEnlarge.Text = "Shrink"
    End If
    End Sub

    2) 'MyEnlarge' is also within map_display.ascx.vb:
    (Note public delegate and event lines, which I also added)

    Public Delegate Sub EnlargeButtonHandler(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As
    EventArgs)
    Public Event EnlargeButton As EnlargeButtonHandler
    Protected Sub MyEnlarge(ByVal e As EventArgs)
    RaiseEvent EnlargeButton(Me, e)
    End Sub

    3) In my containing aspx page (Called map_and_property_info.aspx), the user
    control is included like this:

    <uc1:map_display id="Map_display1" runat="server"
    onMyEnlarge="ToggleTblNavandInfo"></uc1:map_display>

    The plan was to 'catch' the original event of the user clicking the link
    button in the user control, then fire a function in the ASPX code behind -
    Probably not relevent, but heres the function I wanted to eventually call.

    Public Sub ToggleTblNavandInfo()
    If Me.TblNavandInfo.Visible = False Then
    Me.TblNavandInfo.Visible = True
    Else

    Simon Harris, Feb 21, 2005

  2. Simon Harris

    Karl Seguin Guest

    Shouldn't that be
    onEnlargeButton
    instead of
    onMyEnlarge in the <uc1: control?

    Karl

    --
    MY ASP.Net tutorials
    http://www.openmymind.net/

    Karl Seguin, Feb 21, 2005

  3. Simon Harris

    Simon Harris Guest

    Hi Karl,

    I changed it to onEnlargeButton and I now get this error:

    ===============================
    Compilation Error
    to service this request. Please review the following specific error details
    and modify your source code appropriately.

    Compiler Error Message: BC30408: Method 'Public Sub ToggleTblNavandInfo()'
    does not have the same signature as delegate 'Delegate Sub
    EnlargeButtonHandler(sender As Object, e As System.EventArgs)'.

    Source Error:

    Line 87: </table>
    Line 88: </td>
    Line 89: <td><uc1:map_display id="Map_display1" runat="server"
    onEnlargeButton="ToggleTblNavandInfo"></uc1:map_display></td>
    Line 90: </tr>
    Line 91: </table>

    Source File: D:\introot\netapps\gis\map_and_property_info.aspx Line: 89

    ===============================

    Simon Harris, Feb 21, 2005
  4. Simon Harris

    Karl Seguin Guest

    Simon,
    I had noticed this but forgot to mention it, the ToggleTblNavandInfo
    function has to have the same signature (return type and parameters) as your
    delegate, in other words it needs to be:

    Public Sub ToggleTblNavandInfo (sender As Object, e As System.EventArgs)

    Karl

    --

    > Hi Karl,
    >
    > I changed it to onEnlargeButton and I now get this error:
    >
    > ===============================
    > Compilation Error

    required

    Karl Seguin, Feb 21, 2005
  5. Simon Harris

    Simon Harris Guest

    Hi Karl,

    Just changed my function as you suggested...IT WORKS!!! Woo Hoo!! (Calm down
    man, calm down!) :)

    I reasonably new to .Net...although it is working now, I dont know why -
    Perhaps you could explain a little?

    Thank you for your help.

    Simon.

    Simon Harris, Feb 21, 2005
  6. Simon Harris

    Karl Seguin Guest

    Simon:
    Not sure what you don't understand. The delegate and function signature?
    Deep down all of this is just function pointers...a function pointer allows
    you to dynamically run a function. However, it only works when you know the
    exact signature of the function (return type, parameter type). Delegates
    are like function pointers...you dynamically invoke the function that's
    hooked to the event, but it has to have the exact same signature as your
    delegate

    An event has a delegate type
    only function which have the same signature as defined by the delegate type
    can be hooked into the event...

    Hope that helped :)

    Karl

    Karl Seguin, Feb 21, 2005