calling web pages from msdos applications

Paul

I don't know if this is the right news group, but my question is this:

is it possible opening a web page using a compiled (*.exe) application written in GWBasic?
Thank you
Paul

Harlan Messinger

Paul said:
I don't know if this is the right news group, but my question is this:

is it possible opening a web page using a compiled (*.exe) application
written in GWBasic?

Dear 1987,

Open it in what? If you're running MS DOS, your web browser will
probably be Lynx or something like that, and you can execute it from
your GWBasic program in whatever way GWBasic makes available to launch
any MS DOS executable.

Paul

Harlan Messinger said:
Dear 1987,

Open it in what? If you're running MS DOS, your web browser will probably be Lynx or something like that, and you can
execute it from your GWBasic program in whatever way GWBasic makes available to launch any MS DOS executable.

Well, in my pc I am using windows XP + IE7 and some applications written by me in Basic in the previous century...
I still use these applications for my work as they are very useful for me, for my needs.
My question is if those old applications could be able to interact with web, calling in example a web page.
If so, I'd like to try something I have in mind.
Thank you,
Paul

David Segall

Paul said:
I don't know if this is the right news group, but my question is this:

is it possible opening a web page using a compiled (*.exe) application written in GWBasic?

If you want to use the GWBasic OPEN statement to access the page using
GWBasic READ or LINE INPUT statements I am fairly sure you can't but
this is definitely the wrong news group. If you just want to show the
page to the user you could use the SHELL statement to invoke an
external browser.

Harlan Messinger

Paul said:
Well, in my pc I am using windows XP + IE7 and some applications written
by me in Basic in the previous century...
I still use these applications for my work as they are very useful for
me, for my needs.
My question is if those old applications could be able to interact with
web, calling in example a web page.
If so, I'd like to try something I have in mind.

Ah. OK, then assuming you have the capability of having your code
execute *any* EXE file on your computer, with arguments, have it execute

C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore http://www.google.com/

for example. If you test this from the command line (and possibly in
your program) you'll need to put the first part between double quotes
because of the spaces embedded in the path:

"C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore" http://www.google.com/

Jan C. Faerber

Ah. OK, then assuming you have the capability of having your code
execute *any* EXE file on your computer, with arguments, have it execute

C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplorehttp://www.google.com/

for example. If you test this from the command line (and possibly in
your program) you'll need to put the first part between double quotes
because of the spaces embedded in the path:

"C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore"http://www.google.com/

Use

START http://www.google.com

in the ms dos cmd line to open google's hp in your default webbrowser.