    is it possible opening a web page using a compiled (*.exe) application written in GWBasic?
    Thank you
    Paul

    Paul, Jun 26, 2009

  2. Paul wrote:
    > I don't know if this is the right news group, but my question is this:
    >
    > is it possible opening a web page using a compiled (*.exe) application
    > written in GWBasic?

    Dear 1987,

    Open it in what? If you're running MS DOS, your web browser will
    probably be Lynx or something like that, and you can execute it from
    your GWBasic program in whatever way GWBasic makes available to launch
    any MS DOS executable.

    Harlan Messinger, Jun 26, 2009

  3. Paul

    Paul Guest

    "Harlan Messinger" <> ha scritto nel messaggio
    > Paul wrote:
    >> I don't know if this is the right news group, but my question is this:
    >>
    >> is it possible opening a web page using a compiled (*.exe) application written in GWBasic?

    > Dear 1987,
    >
    > Open it in what? If you're running MS DOS, your web browser will probably be Lynx or something like that, and you can
    > execute it from your GWBasic program in whatever way GWBasic makes available to launch any MS DOS executable.

    Well, in my pc I am using windows XP + IE7 and some applications written by me in Basic in the previous century...
    I still use these applications for my work as they are very useful for me, for my needs.
    My question is if those old applications could be able to interact with web, calling in example a web page.
    If so, I'd like to try something I have in mind.
    Thank you,
    Paul

    Paul, Jun 26, 2009
  4. Paul

    David Segall Guest

    "Paul" <> wrote:

    >I don't know if this is the right news group, but my question is this:
    >
    >is it possible opening a web page using a compiled (*.exe) application written in GWBasic?

    If you want to use the GWBasic OPEN statement to access the page using
    GWBasic READ or LINE INPUT statements I am fairly sure you can't but
    this is definitely the wrong news group. If you just want to show the
    page to the user you could use the SHELL statement to invoke an
    external browser.

    David Segall, Jun 26, 2009
  5. Paul wrote:

    > "Harlan Messinger" <> ha scritto nel
    > messaggio news:...
    >> Paul wrote:
    >>> I don't know if this is the right news group, but my question is this:
    >>>
    >>> is it possible opening a web page using a compiled (*.exe)
    >>> application written in GWBasic?

    >> Dear 1987,
    >>
    >> Open it in what? If you're running MS DOS, your web browser will
    >> probably be Lynx or something like that, and you can execute it from
    >> your GWBasic program in whatever way GWBasic makes available to launch
    >> any MS DOS executable.

    > Well, in my pc I am using windows XP + IE7 and some applications written
    > by me in Basic in the previous century...
    > I still use these applications for my work as they are very useful for
    > me, for my needs.
    > My question is if those old applications could be able to interact with
    > web, calling in example a web page.
    > If so, I'd like to try something I have in mind.

    Ah. OK, then assuming you have the capability of having your code
    execute *any* EXE file on your computer, with arguments, have it execute

    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore http://www.google.com/

    for example. If you test this from the command line (and possibly in
    your program) you'll need to put the first part between double quotes
    because of the spaces embedded in the path:

    "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore" http://www.google.com/

    Harlan Messinger, Jun 26, 2009
  6. On 26 Jun., 20:27, Harlan Messinger
    <> wrote:

    > > My question is if those old applications could be able to interact with
    > > web, calling in example a web page.
    > > If so, I'd like to try something I have in mind.

    > Ah. OK, then assuming you have the capability of having your code
    > execute *any* EXE file on your computer, with arguments, have it execute
    >
    > C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplorehttp://www.google.com/
    >
    > for example. If you test this from the command line (and possibly in
    > your program) you'll need to put the first part between double quotes
    > because of the spaces embedded in the path:
    >
    > "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore"http://www.google.com/

    Use

    START http://www.google.com

    in the ms dos cmd line to open google's hp in your default webbrowser.

    Jan C. Faerber, Jun 30, 2009
  7. Jan C. Faerber wrote:
    > On 26 Jun., 20:27, Harlan Messinger
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>> My question is if those old applications could be able to interact with
    >>> web, calling in example a web page.
    >>> If so, I'd like to try something I have in mind.

    >> Ah. OK, then assuming you have the capability of having your code
    >> execute *any* EXE file on your computer, with arguments, have it execute
    >>
    >> C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplorehttp://www.google.com/
    >>
    >> for example. If you test this from the command line (and possibly in
    >> your program) you'll need to put the first part between double quotes
    >> because of the spaces embedded in the path:
    >>
    >> "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore"http://www.google.com/

    > Use
    >
    > START http://www.google.com
    >
    > in the ms dos cmd line to open google's hp in your default webbrowser.

    He said he wants to do this from a program, not by typing at the command
    line.

    Harlan Messinger, Jun 30, 2009
  8. On 30 Jun., 16:38, Harlan Messinger
    <> wrote:

    > He said he wants to do this from a program, not by typing at the command
    > line.

    Then he should be able in invoke a batch file.

    Jan C. Faerber, Jul 1, 2009