Calling WS's using an abstracted framework

David Cornelson

Here's my architecture....

I have a config file that will have handlers for sending messages to
web services.

One of the handler types is "webservice" which may look like this:

<handlers>
<handler sequence="0" type="webservice">
<urn>http://localhost/MyService/MyProcess.asmx</urn>
<method>SomeMethod</method>
<arguments>
<argument sequence="0" type="string" name="message" />
</arguments>
<synchronous>false</synchronous>
</handler>
</handlers>

What would be the best way to implement a call to the web service? I
can call the web service using http post, but I've had problems with
that and it's very difficult to debug those problems. I could use code
generation services to build a proxy on the fly. I don't want a
hardened solution. I want this configuration file to describe the web
service call entirely, but without the need for wsdl, vsdisco, etc.
The developer or sysadmin should be able to implement a new service
and modify this config file without a lot of complexity. Is there a
better way?

David C.