Calling WS's using an abstracted framework

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by David Cornelson, Dec 3, 2003.

  1. Here's my architecture....

    I have a config file that will have handlers for sending messages to
    web services.

    One of the handler types is "webservice" which may look like this:

    <handlers>
    <handler sequence="0" type="webservice">
    <urn>http://localhost/MyService/MyProcess.asmx</urn>
    <method>SomeMethod</method>
    <arguments>
    <argument sequence="0" type="string" name="message" />
    </arguments>
    <synchronous>false</synchronous>
    </handler>
    </handlers>

    What would be the best way to implement a call to the web service? I
    can call the web service using http post, but I've had problems with
    that and it's very difficult to debug those problems. I could use code
    generation services to build a proxy on the fly. I don't want a
    hardened solution. I want this configuration file to describe the web
    service call entirely, but without the need for wsdl, vsdisco, etc.
    The developer or sysadmin should be able to implement a new service
    and modify this config file without a lot of complexity. Is there a
    better way?

    David C.

    David Cornelson, Dec 3, 2003