Callout-like Tooltip replacement?

classacts

Hi

I'm interested in designing a tooltip like a callout box you can
find in Windows' systray or eclipse. I would like to use it primarily
for giving hints or notifications to users for certain controls. The
only way I can think of doing this is either by writing a custom
TooltipUI or doing some fancy things with the glasspane. Anyone here
have any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Daniel Dyer

Hi

I'm interested in designing a tooltip like a callout box you can
find in Windows' systray or eclipse. I would like to use it primarily
for giving hints or notifications to users for certain controls. The
only way I can think of doing this is either by writing a custom
TooltipUI or doing some fancy things with the glasspane. Anyone here
have any ideas?

Thanks in advance

If you can use Java 6.0 (which is currently in beta), you might be able to
use the new desktop and systray functionality.

See
http://java.sun.com/developer/technicalArticles/J2SE/Desktop/mustang/systemtray/,
specifically the displayMessage method of the TrayIcon class.

Dan.

unomystEz

Daniel said:
If you can use Java 6.0 (which is currently in beta), you might be able to
use the new desktop and systray functionality.

See
http://java.sun.com/developer/technicalArticles/J2SE/Desktop/mustang/systemtray/,
specifically the displayMessage method of the TrayIcon class.

Dan.

I believe java 6.0 uses OS-specific syscalls to accomplish that. I'm
looking for a way to have balloon tooltips that attach themselves to
components. After doing more research, the possibility of using
J/Window won't work because it can't be transparent. So I'm still left
with either TooltipUI or glasspane... I found a link on google to a
JBalloonTooltip that seems to be dead, supposedly it did use native
syscalls and probably works on windows only.