    have any ideas?

    Thanks in advance

    , Sep 2, 2006

  2. Daniel Dyer Guest

    On Sat, 02 Sep 2006 15:07:10 +0100, <> wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > I'm interested in designing a tooltip like a callout box you can
    > find in Windows' systray or eclipse. I would like to use it primarily
    > for giving hints or notifications to users for certain controls. The
    > only way I can think of doing this is either by writing a custom
    > TooltipUI or doing some fancy things with the glasspane. Anyone here
    > have any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks in advance

    If you can use Java 6.0 (which is currently in beta), you might be able to
    use the new desktop and systray functionality.

    See
    http://java.sun.com/developer/technicalArticles/J2SE/Desktop/mustang/systemtray/,
    specifically the displayMessage method of the TrayIcon class.

    Dan.

    --
    Daniel Dyer
    http://www.dandyer.co.uk

    Daniel Dyer, Sep 2, 2006

  3. unomystEz Guest

    Daniel Dyer wrote:
    > On Sat, 02 Sep 2006 15:07:10 +0100, <> wrote:
    >
    > > Hi
    > >
    > > I'm interested in designing a tooltip like a callout box you can
    > > find in Windows' systray or eclipse. I would like to use it primarily
    > > for giving hints or notifications to users for certain controls. The
    > > only way I can think of doing this is either by writing a custom
    > > TooltipUI or doing some fancy things with the glasspane. Anyone here
    > > have any ideas?
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance

    > If you can use Java 6.0 (which is currently in beta), you might be able to
    > use the new desktop and systray functionality.
    >
    > See
    > http://java.sun.com/developer/technicalArticles/J2SE/Desktop/mustang/systemtray/,
    > specifically the displayMessage method of the TrayIcon class.
    >
    > Dan.
    >
    > --
    > Daniel Dyer
    > http://www.dandyer.co.uk

    I believe java 6.0 uses OS-specific syscalls to accomplish that. I'm
    looking for a way to have balloon tooltips that attach themselves to
    components. After doing more research, the possibility of using
    J/Window won't work because it can't be transparent. So I'm still left
    with either TooltipUI or glasspane... I found a link on google to a
    JBalloonTooltip that seems to be dead, supposedly it did use native
    syscalls and probably works on windows only.

    unomystEz, Sep 2, 2006