can a dg be added to an ascx? ascx call a ws?

Jason Shohet

We have some db-search functionality that we need in several asp.net apps.
How to get reuse out of this...
I was thinking of putting the search criteria, and the datagrid that
displays the results, in an ascx control that can be plopped down in any of
our apps.

1. I'm just not sure about putting a datagrid in an ascx -- any minuses to
doing this?

2. Can an ascx can call a web service (thats where we put our ADO stuff --
where I would retrieve the ds and send it back to be put in the datagrid).
I recall trying to do this once a year ago, and it couldn't call a
service...

Thanks
Jason Shohet

Kevin Spencer

1. I'm just not sure about putting a datagrid in an ascx -- any minuses
doing this?

None whatsoever.
2. Can an ascx can call a web service (thats where we put our ADO stuff --
where I would retrieve the ds and send it back to be put in the datagrid).
I recall trying to do this once a year ago, and it couldn't call a
service...

Sure can.

--
HTH,