Can a URL rewriter done in .net handle a medium volume website

bill

I'm attempting to implement a URL rewriter (HTTP Handler) in .net.
While I've found some very useful source code freely available (like
this one http://www.15seconds.com/issue/030522.htm) ... I'm not sure
that this approach could handle the traffic of a morderately well-used
website (10000 unique vistors a day). While the website needs query
strings ... I'd like to eliminate these from nearly every page. This
may create a large number of rules ... it seems that there are many
experts outthere that have done this sort of thing before ... could
anyone let me know if using .net to implement a URL rewrite is feasible
or should I consider some other than a web application?

Cathal Connolly [C# MVP]

That shouldn't be an issue. Dotnetnuke (www.dotnetnuke.com) uses a
urlrewriter to manipulate url's into a search engine format (e.g. transform
/default.aspx?tabid=644 to Community/EventsCalendar/tabid/644/Default.aspx),
and averages 2 million page views a month. Whilst it doesn't have too many
additional configuration rules, it was until recently running in a shared
hosting account
(http://www.maximumasp.com/content.aspx?P=BA&sNode=BA&Exp=Y), and handled
the load without much problem.

As with all of these type of issues, I'd recommend that you set up a load
test first and see the relative impact.

Cathal