Can ActiveX controls be built with C#

Leslie

I would like to build a control that can be deployed from a web site that
runs in IE. The component will have no user interface. It needs to collect
information from the local workstation and either drop the information in a
cookie which will be returned to the server or call the server directly.
Can this be done? Does anyone know of tutorials or examples that illustrate
using C# to build a control that will execute from within IE and be callable
through jscript or vbscript?

Thanks,

Leslie

Leslie

Steve,

Thanks, that is just what I was looking for. One other question, you
mentioned several functions that are prohibited. Is the prohibition absolute
or can exceptions be made using the Framework Wizard. Specifically, can calls
to unmanaged code be allowed uisng the Framework Wizard? Is any of the
security affected by digital signatures?

Thanks,

Leslie

Yuan Ren[MSFT]

Hi Leslie,

Thanks for posting!

"Is the prohibition absolute or can exceptions be made using the Framework
Wizard. Specifically, can calls to unmanaged code be allowed uisng the
Framework Wizard?"

The prohibition is based on the setting of the CAS in the target machine.
If the code is full trusted in the target machine, the code which even
contains interop operation will be executed.

"Is any of the security affected by digital signatures?"
Yes, you are correct. The signature actually tells the target machine the
code is trusted and safe. If the target machine trusts the publisher
company, the code also will be executed.

Regards,

Yuan Ren [MSFT]
Microsoft Online Support

Leslie

Steve,

Will the techniques described in your article work with .NET 1.1 or is 2.0
required?

Thanks,

Leslie

Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]