Can an ASP.NET application running on WinXP+IIS5 access to SSRS web service?

Max2006

Hi,

I am developing a web application on windows XP. A page within my
application needs to access to SSRS running on the same machine. Once the
web application tries to consume the SSRS web services, I receive the
following error:

System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: The permissions granted to user
DEV1\ASPNET' are insufficient for performing this operation. --->
Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.AccessDeniedException: The
permissions granted to user 'ALISGD\ASPNET' are insufficient for performing
this operation.

The user DEV1\ASPNET is member of
"SQLServer2005ReportingServicesWebServiceUser$DEV1" local NT groups. Also I
added the user "DEV1\ASPNET" to browsers and also "System Administrator"
role within SSRS web portal. still the same problem.

I do have the following code on my web service proxy code:

reportingService.UseDefaultCredentials = true;

Obviously I can solve the problem by using this code:

System.Net.ICredentials netCredential = new
System.Net.NetworkCredential("Username","Password","Domain");
reportingService.Credentials = netCredential;

But I like to find the root of the problem and solve it properly.

Is there any way that a web application running on IIS5+XP as user "ASPNET'
access to SSRS web service?

Any help would be appreciated,
Max

bruce barker

xp does not have a good solution, as it does not support application
pools. in the web.config in the <impersonate> specify the domain user
and password. you could change the asp.net service account to a domain
account.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Max2006

Hi Bruce,

So it is not possible to have "ASPNET user on XP consume SSRS web services?

Thank you for help,
Max

Walter Wang [MSFT]

Hi Max,

What Bruce means is that on XP you have to use impersonation, while on IIS6
and above you can use a domain account for the AppPool.

#Understanding ASP.NET Impersonation Security - Rick Strahl's Web Log
http://west-wind.com/weblog/posts/2153.aspx

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Microsoft Online Community Support

Walter Wang [MSFT]

Hi Max,

I'm writing to check the status of this post. Please feel free to let me
know if there's anything else I can help.