Can an ASP.NET application running on WinXP+IIS5 access to SSRS web service?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Max2006, Jul 25, 2007.

  1. Max2006

    Max2006 Guest

    Hi,

    I am developing a web application on windows XP. A page within my
    application needs to access to SSRS running on the same machine. Once the
    web application tries to consume the SSRS web services, I receive the
    following error:

    System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: The permissions granted to user
    DEV1\ASPNET' are insufficient for performing this operation. --->
    Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.AccessDeniedException: The
    permissions granted to user 'ALISGD\ASPNET' are insufficient for performing
    this operation.

    The user DEV1\ASPNET is member of
    "SQLServer2005ReportingServicesWebServiceUser$DEV1" local NT groups. Also I
    added the user "DEV1\ASPNET" to browsers and also "System Administrator"
    role within SSRS web portal. still the same problem.

    I do have the following code on my web service proxy code:

    reportingService.UseDefaultCredentials = true;

    Obviously I can solve the problem by using this code:

    System.Net.ICredentials netCredential = new
    System.Net.NetworkCredential("Username","Password","Domain");
    reportingService.Credentials = netCredential;

    But I like to find the root of the problem and solve it properly.

    Is there any way that a web application running on IIS5+XP as user "ASPNET'
    access to SSRS web service?

    Any help would be appreciated,
    Max

    Max2006, Jul 25, 2007

  2. Max2006

    bruce barker Guest

    Re: Can an ASP.NET application running on WinXP+IIS5 access to SSRSweb service?

    xp does not have a good solution, as it does not support application
    pools. in the web.config in the <impersonate> specify the domain user
    and password. you could change the asp.net service account to a domain
    account.

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    bruce barker, Jul 25, 2007

  3. Max2006

    Max2006 Guest

    Hi Bruce,

    So it is not possible to have "ASPNET user on XP consume SSRS web services?

    Thank you for help,
    Max

    Max2006, Jul 25, 2007
  4. Hi Max,

    What Bruce means is that on XP you have to use impersonation, while on IIS6
    and above you can use a domain account for the AppPool.

    #Understanding ASP.NET Impersonation Security - Rick Strahl's Web Log
    http://west-wind.com/weblog/posts/2153.aspx

    Hope this helps.

    Regards,
    Walter Wang (, remove 'online.')
    Microsoft Online Community Support

    Walter Wang [MSFT], Jul 26, 2007
  5. Hi Max,

    I'm writing to check the status of this post. Please feel free to let me
    know if there's anything else I can help.

    Walter Wang [MSFT], Jul 31, 2007