    Thank you!
    --
    Betty

    c676228, Feb 20, 2007

  2. c676228 wrote:
    > Hi all,
    > I guess this probably a very silly question. I am not sure if this
    > can be done in classical asp. A button has to be clicked if a
    > selection in drop down list has been changed. If not, a pop up
    > message pops and reminds the user you need to click the button before
    > continue. Can this be done in some ways???
    > Thank you!
    > --

    Not in asp. ASP is server-side technology. If your question concerns
    buttons clicked by users to trigger client-side (browser) events, then
    you are no longer in the realm of ASP. A client-side scripting group
    such as .scripting.jscript will likely get you more help.

    Having said that, you need to think more about your sequence of events.
    At what point do you want to have the message appear? From your question
    it appears that a user has to select an item and then click a button.
    What does the user need to do to trigger the error message?

    --
    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

    Bob Barrows [MVP], Feb 20, 2007

  3. Hello Betty,

    I'm wondering whether you're wantting to perform such event/checking every
    time before the user submit the form/page or do you want to do such
    event/checking whenever the user has changed the selected item in
    dropdownlist(html select)?

    In both cases, you need to use client side script code. For the first case,
    you can add a script handler for html form's onsubmit event. e.g.

    <form onsubmit="xxx()">

    and in that handler, you can check whether the dropdownlist(or other
    element)'s value has been changed(you need to also keep the original value
    for compare in the page), and then determine whether to continue the submit
    or cancel it and display a alert dialog.
    e.g.

    =========================
    <head>
    <title>Untitled Page</title>
    <script type="text/javascript">
    function form_submit()
    {
    if(document.getElementById("flag").value == "1")
    {

    return true;
    }
    else
    {
    alert("need set flag...");
    return false;

    function set_flag()
    {
    document.getElementById("flag").value = "1";

    alert(document.getElementById("flag").value);
    }
    </script>
    </head>
    <form id="form1" action="" onsubmit="return form_submit();">
    data: <input type="text" value="test" /><br />
    <input type="button" value="set flag" onclick="set_flag();" />

    <input id="flag" type="hidden" value="0" />

    <input type="submit" value="submit button" />

    </form>
    ======================================

    if it is the second case, you just need to add "onchange" client-side event
    for the dropdownlist and do the checking(whether the button has been
    clicked) and show alert.

    Does this help?

    Sincerely,

    Steven Cheng

    Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

    ications.

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Feb 21, 2007
  4. c676228

    c676228 Guest

    Bob and Steven,
    Thank you both for your help. Steven, your post is very helpful.
    My case is the second. Whenever there is a change in any dropdownlist
    fields, the update button needs to be clicked for new quote. Based on your
    idea, I can always
    set original values in session variables and when submit button is clicked,
    I can check if the request("filedname") is the same as each session variable
    or not, if there is any difference and the flag value is still 0 and alert
    user the "update" button needs to be clicked, if the flag=1 then continue...
    the only thing I don't like my part is if there are many fields, that means
    I need to use many session variables. I am afraid if too many users abandon
    in the middle of processing, I could be in trouble. I usually abondon the
    session right after a successful transaction, can you give me a
    recommendation how to guarantee a session is removed even a user abandons it
    in the middle? or do you have any other suggestion?
    Thank you
    --
    Betty

    c676228, Feb 23, 2007
  5. Hello Betty,

    Thanks for your reply.

    So I think your further question here is how to avoid using many session
    variables to mark the flag of those input fields or status. I think this is
    just like how to avoid do the checking at server-side. As mentioned in my
    first approach, you can use "onsubmit" event of html <form> to do
    client-side validation and cancel the submit if necessary. For example,
    whenever the update button is clicked, you can change a html input hidden
    field in your page's cilent-side markup. Then, your client-side script can
    check both the value changed (on the dropdownlist) and whether the update
    button is clicked(from the hiddenfield). And when all rquirement meet, you
    let the page submit to server-side and process it, after successful
    processing, you need to reset that hiddenfield(for flag whether update
    button has been clicked) to the initial value. How do you think of this?

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Feb 26, 2007
  6. c676228

    c676228 Guest

    Thank you, Steven. You are absolutely right. Thank you so much for the help.
    --
    Betty

    c676228, Mar 9, 2007