Can any design be coded in HTML? SEO Related

RS

Someone I do SEO work for has a new design she wants
to run by her web designer and me. It is a series of small
boxes, thumbnails, about 21, on a page, that is really just
a white background. What the designer has been doing before
is using large single file graphics for her page, which load
very slowly and he also has been embedding the text in the
graphics which the search engines don't like.

I thought that with a good WYSIYG program you could basically
code anything in parts, not have to rely on big graphics but could
cut things up easily, or even more easily put text on top of
graphics. He is saying there are constraints in html code related
to tables.

If anyone can shed some light on this it would be appreciated.

Jonathan N. Little

RS said:
Someone I do SEO work for has a new design she wants
to run by her web designer and me. It is a series of small
boxes, thumbnails, about 21, on a page, that is really just
a white background. What the designer has been doing before
is using large single file graphics for her page, which load
very slowly and he also has been embedding the text in the
graphics which the search engines don't like.

You're joking, right? Yeah! Come on, you're joking!

mbstevens

--
Robert Pearson
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net

Sorry, I can't decipher this at all. We need a link to the site.

RS

What I should have said is that the boxes, or thumbnails,
are of different sizes and placed in artisitic ways all over the
place. There is no grid. It was as if someone hung a bunch
of little paintings on a very large wall.

mbstevens

RS said:
but could
cut things up easily, or even more easily put text on top of
graphics.
What I should have said is that the boxes, or thumbnails,
are of different sizes and placed in artisitic ways all over the
place. There is no grid. It was as if someone hung a bunch
of little paintings on a very large wall.

There are ways to "put text on top of graphics" that
cause less problems than using image-text. Here is an
article about using text-links atop images:

http://www.alistapart.com/articles/imagemap/

Ben C

What I should have said is that the boxes, or thumbnails,
are of different sizes and placed in artisitic ways all over the
place. There is no grid. It was as if someone hung a bunch
of little paintings on a very large wall.

Use absolute positioning.