    " unresolved external symbol error "

    How to overcome this error and add the other Project ?

    Thanks in advance

    Manjunath.M, Feb 20, 2007

  2. Manjunath.M

    Sarath Guest

    On Feb 20, 2:58 pm, "Manjunath.M" <> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > In my project I got this error when adding another project from
    > internet to mine.
    > I have written a Project in C which creates an exe file. I want to
    > include this Project into another Project. When I try to add I got
    > this error :
    >
    > " unresolved external symbol error "
    >
    > How to overcome this error and add the other Project ?
    >
    > Thanks in advance

    The compiler try to say that you have declared something and it can't
    be resolved from the modules it created. might be some problems with
    Lib files and surely windows related things are out of scope of this
    topic.

    Sarath, Feb 20, 2007

  3. Manjunath.M

    Manjunath.M Guest

    On Feb 20, 11:03 am, "Sarath" <> wrote:
    > On Feb 20, 2:58 pm, "Manjunath.M" <> wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,

    > > In my project I got this error when adding another project from
    > > internet to mine.
    > > I have written a Project in C which creates an exe file. I want to
    > > include this Project into another Project. When I try to add I got
    > > this error :

    > > " unresolved external symbol error "

    > > How to overcome this error and add the other Project ?

    > > Thanks in advance

    > The compiler try to say that you have declared something and it can't
    > be resolved from the modules it created. might be some problems with
    > Lib files and surely windows related things are out of scope of this
    > topic.

    In the project Which I am including is not having any additional
    dependencies.
    how do i know which lib files need to be add.

    Thanks,
    Manjunath.M

    Manjunath.M, Feb 20, 2007
  4. Manjunath.M

    Ian Collins Guest

    Manjunath.M wrote:
    > On Feb 20, 11:03 am, "Sarath" <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Feb 20, 2:58 pm, "Manjunath.M" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi,

    >>>In my project I got this error when adding another project from
    >>>internet to mine.
    >>>I have written a Project in C which creates an exe file. I want to
    >>>include this Project into another Project. When I try to add I got
    >>>this error :

    >>>" unresolved external symbol error "

    >>The compiler try to say that you have declared something and it can't
    >>be resolved from the modules it created. might be some problems with
    >>Lib files and surely windows related things are out of scope of this
    >>topic.

    > In the project Which I am including is not having any additional
    > dependencies.
    > how do i know which lib files need to be add.

    Read the documentation that came with the package you are using, if it
    is any good, it will list its dependencies.

    --
    Ian Collins.

    Ian Collins, Feb 20, 2007
  5. Manjunath.M

    Manjunath.M Guest

    On Feb 20, 11:50 am, Ian Collins <> wrote:
    > Manjunath.M wrote:

    > >>The compiler try to say that you have declared something and it can't
    > >>be resolved from the modules it created. might be some problems with
    > >>Lib files and surely windows related things are out of scope of this
    > >>topic.

    > > In the project Which I am including is not having any additional
    > > dependencies.
    > > how do i know which lib files need to be add.

    > Read the documentation that came with the package you are using, if it
    > is any good, it will list its dependencies.
    >
    > --
    > Ian Collins.

    Thanks Ian Collins,

    The package Which I got is not having any information regarding the
    dependencies.
    Is there any other way to find dependencies?

    Thanks,
    Manjunath.M

    Manjunath.M, Feb 20, 2007
  6. Manjunath.M

    Ian Collins Guest

    Manjunath.M wrote:
    > On Feb 20, 11:50 am, Ian Collins <> wrote:
    >>
    >>Read the documentation that came with the package you are using, if it
    >>is any good, it will list its dependencies.

    Please trim signatures.

    > Thanks Ian Collins,
    >
    > The package Which I got is not having any information regarding the
    > dependencies.
    > Is there any other way to find dependencies?

    Well it looks like you have found out the hard way, but he application
    failing to link and the linker presenting you with a list of unresolved
    symbols.

    Try looking for include files that might provide a hint, your code
    appears to have compiled, so you must have all the required headers and
    possibly the libraries that go with them.

    If all else fails, google for the symbol names.

    --
    Ian Collins.

    Ian Collins, Feb 20, 2007
  7. On Feb 20, 6:58 am, "Manjunath.M" <> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > In my project I got this error when adding another project from
    > internet to mine.
    > I have written a Project in C which creates an exe file. I want to
    > include this Project into another Project. When I try to add I got
    > this error :
    >
    > " unresolved external symbol error "

    Is there any more to this error message, like what symbol was left
    unresolved, or perhaps where it was referred to? Something like "error
    LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "int t3" (?t3@@3HA) referenced in
    function _main"?

    --
    Erik Wikström

    =?iso-8859-1?q?Erik_Wikstr=F6m?=, Feb 20, 2007
  8. Manjunath.M

    Manjunath.M Guest

    On Feb 20, 1:31 pm, "Erik Wikström" <>
    wrote:
    > On Feb 20, 6:58 am, "Manjunath.M" <> wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,

    > > In my project I got this error when adding another project from
    > > internet to mine.
    > > I have written a Project in C which creates an exe file. I want to
    > > include this Project into another Project. When I try to add I got
    > > this error :

    > > " unresolved external symbol error "

    > Is there any more to this error message, like what symbol was left
    > unresolved, or perhaps where it was referred to? Something like "error
    > LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "int t3" (?t3@@3HA) referenced in
    > function _main"?
    >
    > --
    > Erik Wikström

    Here is the error

    error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "int __cdecl
    CheckForNtEnumarateKeys(char *)" (?CheckForNtEnumarateKeys@@YAHPAD@Z)
    referenced in function "int __cdecl
    GetApplicationsLoadingFromKey(struct HWND__ *,unsigned int,char
    *,unsigned int)" (?
    GetApplicationsLoadingFromKey@@YAHPAUHWND__@@IPADI@Z)

    Thanks,
    Manjunath.M

    Manjunath.M, Feb 20, 2007
  9. On Feb 20, 9:41 am, "Manjunath.M" <> wrote:
    > On Feb 20, 1:31 pm, "Erik Wikström" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    > > On Feb 20, 6:58 am, "Manjunath.M" <> wrote:

    > > > Hi,

    > > > In my project I got this error when adding another project from
    > > > internet to mine.
    > > > I have written a Project in C which creates an exe file. I want to
    > > > include this Project into another Project. When I try to add I got
    > > > this error :

    > > > " unresolved external symbol error "

    > > Is there any more to this error message, like what symbol was left
    > > unresolved, or perhaps where it was referred to? Something like "error
    > > LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "int t3" (?t3@@3HA) referenced in
    > > function _main"?

    > > --
    > > Erik Wikström

    > Here is the error
    >
    > error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "int __cdecl
    > CheckForNtEnumarateKeys(char *)" (?CheckForNtEnumarateKeys@@YAHPAD@Z)
    > referenced in function "int __cdecl
    > GetApplicationsLoadingFromKey(struct HWND__ *,unsigned int,char
    > *,unsigned int)" (?
    > GetApplicationsLoadingFromKey@@YAHPAUHWND__@@IPADI@Z)

    And there it is: the function CheckForNtEnumarateKeys(char *), which
    is called from GetApplicationsLoadingFromKey(struct HWND__ *,unsigned
    int,char *,unsigned int) can not be found in any of the libraries
    provided. These looks kind of like calls to the win32 API or such. I'm
    not to familiar with working with such applications and I don't know
    how to set up VS to include the correct libraries, but maybe someone
    else does.

    --
    Erik Wikström

    =?iso-8859-1?q?Erik_Wikstr=F6m?=, Feb 20, 2007
  10. On 20 Feb 2007 01:04:55 -0800, "Erik Wikström" <>
    wrote:

    >And there it is: the function CheckForNtEnumarateKeys(char *), which
    >is called from GetApplicationsLoadingFromKey(struct HWND__ *,unsigned
    >int,char *,unsigned int) can not be found in any of the libraries
    >provided. These looks kind of like calls to the win32 API or such. I'm
    >not to familiar with working with such applications and I don't know
    >how to set up VS to include the correct libraries, but maybe someone
    >else does.

    Hopefully someone in a Microsoft newsgroup.

    -dr

    Dave Rahardja, Feb 20, 2007
  11. Manjunath.M

    Puppet_Sock Guest

    Generally speaking, when you are dealing with Visual Studio
    or Micrsoft products, you want one of the Microsoft news
    groups. Folks over there will be much more knowledgeable
    about the names of things in libraries, how to find them,
    how to use them, etc.

    On Feb 20, 3:41 am, "Manjunath.M" <> wrote:
    [snip]
    > Here is the error
    >
    > error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "int __cdecl
    > CheckForNtEnumarateKeys(char *)" (?CheckForNtEnumarateKeys@@YAHPAD@Z)
    > referenced in function "int __cdecl
    > GetApplicationsLoadingFromKey(struct HWND__ *,unsigned int,char
    > *,unsigned int)" (?
    > GetApplicationsLoadingFromKey@@YAHPAUHWND__@@IPADI@Z)

    You may not be including the right library.
    You may not be including the right header file.
    Or you may be loading the wrong combination of
    header files, or setting the wrong compiler flags.
    You may have mis-spelled the name of the function.
    You may have the wrong argument list for the function.
    You may not have referred to the right namespace.

    Pretty much all of these will require some kind of
    documentation for the lib you expect to find this
    function in. At least look in the header file that
    goes with the lib and see if you can find the function
    CheckForNtEnumarateKeys or something with a very
    similar name. For example, maybe it should be
    CheckForNTEnumarateKeys (notice the different case
    for NT instead of Nt) but that's just a wild guess.

    If you don't have the header file, you probably can't
    use the library at all anyway.
    Socks

    Puppet_Sock, Feb 20, 2007
  12. Manjunath.M wrote:
    > On Feb 20, 1:31 pm, "Erik Wikström" <>
    > wrote:
    >> On Feb 20, 6:58 am, "Manjunath.M" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi,
    >>> In my project I got this error when adding another project from
    >>> internet to mine.
    >>> I have written a Project in C which creates an exe file. I want to
    >>> include this Project into another Project. When I try to add I got
    >>> this error :
    >>> " unresolved external symbol error "

    >> Is there any more to this error message, like what symbol was left
    >> unresolved, or perhaps where it was referred to? Something like "error
    >> LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "int t3" (?t3@@3HA) referenced in
    >> function _main"?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Erik Wikström

    > Here is the error
    >
    > error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "int __cdecl
    > CheckForNtEnumarateKeys(char *)" (?CheckForNtEnumarateKeys@@YAHPAD@Z)
    > referenced in function "int __cdecl
    > GetApplicationsLoadingFromKey(struct HWND__ *,unsigned int,char
    > *,unsigned int)" (?
    > GetApplicationsLoadingFromKey@@YAHPAUHWND__@@IPADI@Z)

    How about "Enumarate" != "Enumerate"?

    HTH,
    - J.

    Jacek Dziedzic, Feb 20, 2007
  13. >>
    >>Here is the error
    >>
    >>error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "int __cdecl
    >>CheckForNtEnumarateKeys(char *)" (?CheckForNtEnumarateKeys@@YAHPAD@Z)
    >>referenced in function "int __cdecl
    >>GetApplicationsLoadingFromKey(struct HWND__ *,unsigned int,char
    >>*,unsigned int)" (?
    >>GetApplicationsLoadingFromKey@@YAHPAUHWND__@@IPADI@Z)

    > And there it is: the function CheckForNtEnumarateKeys(char *), which
    > is called from GetApplicationsLoadingFromKey(struct HWND__ *,unsigned
    > int,char *,unsigned int) can not be found in any of the libraries
    > provided. These looks kind of like calls to the win32 API or such. I'm
    > not to familiar with working with such applications and I don't know
    > how to set up VS to include the correct libraries, but maybe someone
    > else does.

    Or maybe the OP just needs to spell enumerate correctly.

    john

    John Harrison, Feb 20, 2007