Can anybody recomend a free zip scan software!

Jack East

I always meet with some problem on class not found.Can anybody
recomend a free zip scan software on windows?Lot thanks!

Andrew Thompson

Jack said:
I always meet with some problem on class not found.

Hi Jack. Why don't you try making some more sensible

[ Just a thought. ]

Chris Uppal

Andrew said:
Hi Jack. Why don't you try making some more sensible

Andrew, I think you are jumping to damaging conclusions here. There is no
evidence that I can see to connect Jack East with the "Jack" who was behaving
questionably earlier, and some considerable evidence to suggest that they are
two unconnected people (in different continents).

One thing that you may not know is that -- at least until fairly recently, and
at least at some schools -- Chinese students were taught that it was a good
idea to adopt a Western name when dealing with English speaking Westerners. I
don't know where that idea came from, and I don't think it's a very good idea
myself, but it explains why there are quite a lot of obviously non-English
posters using very English names on these newgroups. There is no intent to
deceive, they are just trying to fit in in the way they've been taught that
"we" prefer.

Anyway, to get to Jack's question (finally ;-). I can't personally recommend
any specific Zip software. I used to use ZipCentral and was reasonably happy
with that. But I don't think it exists any more. Recent versions of Windows
have Zip en/decoding built-in. That's not a particularly good or general
implementation, but it is sufficient for checking the contents of JAR files --
you just have to copy or rename the xxx.jar to xxx.zip. If you need more
detailed information about what's in a Zip/Jar file than that (e.g. checking
for format errors) then you might try the "zipinfo" program that comes with
Cygwin, although I doubt if you'd want to download and install all of Cygwin (a
Unix environment emulation for Windows) just for that. I should add that
pkware (who invented the ZIP format)
www.pkware.com
have some free and trial tools although I've never used them myself.

-- chris

Andrew Thompson

Andrew, I think you are jumping to damaging conclusions here.

Possibly. I associated 'Jack East' directly with 'Jack'.

If they are different people, I offer my apologies
for any confusion caused.

Rhino

Jack East said:
I always meet with some problem on class not found.Can anybody
recomend a free zip scan software on windows?Lot thanks!
I use UltimateZip, http:///www.ultimatezip.com/, which is free for
non-commercial uses, and it works fine. I used to use Coffee Cup Zip, which
is also worked fine; it was freeware that I got from Tucows.com or some
similar download site. (I think I switched to UltimateZip because it worked
on both jars and zips while Coffee Cup only worked on zips, but I could be
wrong, it was quite a while ago.)

But you really don't need such a tool to see what is inside a jar. Just use
a command prompt to get into the directory containing your jar file, then
use the 't' flag in the jar command to see what's inside the jar. For
instance, if your jar is in C:\myJars and your jar is called Jack.jar, just
do this on the comand line:

jar tvf Jack.jar

The names of all of the files in the jar will be displayed for you.

You can also extract the files with the 'x' flag in the jar command. That is
documented in the Jar Trail of the Java Tutorial.

Rhino

Chris Uppal

Joan said:
In Windows Explorer, just double click on the icon.

If Java has installed itself correctly on Windows, then double-clicking a JAR
file will attempt to start
java -jar <filename>
which is /not/ what you want...

-- chris