    Why will NULLS work on my local copy of the db, and the vb.net/asp.net code
    is the same on my local box as it is on the web server?

    Confused

    Mike, Jun 21, 2004

  2. Mike wrote:
    > Ok heres the issue. I have a copy of the production database localy on my
    > machine for developing, the DB has null values in some rows, now when i run
    > my code against the row of data that has NULL values in the columns, i get
    > no errors, Now here is the issue, when I go against the same database on our
    > test server and the asp.net code is on the web server I'm getting errors
    > when the value is NULL,
    >
    > Why will NULLS work on my local copy of the db, and the vb.net/asp.net code
    > is the same on my local box as it is on the web server?
    >
    > Confused

    Are you sure that you didn't accidentally have the NULLs transformed
    into empty values (empty strings, etc.) by DTS or however you 'copied'
    the database locally? Confirm that there are actually NULLs in your
    local DB either thru Ent. Manager or debug the code and verify the
    values are NULL. Might be overkill, but there's no reason I can think
    of for the code to act differently....

    BTW, I'm assuming SQLServer...

    --
    Craig Deelsnyder
    Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET

    Craig Deelsnyder, Jun 22, 2004

  3. It sometimes happen in release-mode build and not in debug-mode build, of
    course
    you can not debug your application that is compiled in release mode.

    Solution: handle all fields for nulls.

    --
    Hope this helps,
    Zeeshan Mustafa, MCSD