Can anyone help with this?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by harry, Apr 27, 2005.

  1. harry

    harry Guest

    My app is for an Intranet & is required to run ONLY on IE 5.5 (sp2) -
    minimum screen resolution is 800*600

    I have a web page that is dynamically created, the page is actually a report
    that the client wants.

    The report is formatted in a table but because the report has 19 columns I'm
    having lots of trouble deciding how to specify the column widths

    If I use fixed width's I can quite easily show the report exactly as I want
    because the Browser allows horz scrolling but when I do a print preview
    everything that doesn't fit on one page width is chopped - thought it might
    wrap on to other pages but it doesn't!

    If I use % to specify column width's the page displayed in the browser looks
    awful & still won't fit on one screen as there are so many columns!

    Experimented with CSS's media="print" option but still can't get this to
    work!

    Has anyone any ideas how I can solve this? - perhaps I'm missing something
    basic here but I need to display the report in the Browser on a 800*600
    system across nearly 2 screens & print it out properly?

    Hope I've explained it clearly?

    thanks

    harry

    harry, Apr 27, 2005

  2. harry wrote:
    > My app is for an Intranet & is required to run ONLY on IE 5.5 (sp2)
    > - minimum screen resolution is 800*600

    But what will you do when the IT department suddenly realizes the
    error of their ways and upgrades everyone to Firefox next week?

    > I have a web page that is dynamically created, the page is actually
    > a report that the client wants.
    >
    > The report is formatted in a table but because the report has 19
    > columns I'm having lots of trouble deciding how to specify the
    > column widths

    Well, considering that HTML is not really designed for print media,
    and since what you are describing sounds more like a spreadsheet than
    a web page, have you considered alternative delivery?

    <snippage>

    > Has anyone any ideas how I can solve this? - perhaps I'm missing
    > something basic here but I need to display the report in the
    > Browser on a 800*600 system across nearly 2 screens & print it out
    > properly?

    You would only be able to print as wide as Landscape, when that is
    chosen by your viewer.

    --
    -bts
    -This space intentionally left blank.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Apr 27, 2005

  3. Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > > My app is for an Intranet & is required to run ONLY on IE 5.5 (sp2)
    > > - minimum screen resolution is 800*600

    > But what will you do when the IT department suddenly realizes the
    > error of their ways and upgrades everyone to Firefox next week?

    AH HAHAHAHA Like there is a company out here smart enough to do
    that....

    --
    -=tn=-

    Travis Newbury, Apr 27, 2005
  4. harry

    harry Guest

    thanks for that, unfortunetly I don't decide the Browser & the client has
    decided to only ever use IE!

    harry, Apr 27, 2005
  5. While the city slept, Beauregard T. Shagnasty ()
    feverishly typed...

    > harry wrote:
    >> My app is for an Intranet & is required to run ONLY on IE 5.5 (sp2)
    >> - minimum screen resolution is 800*600

    > But what will you do when the IT department suddenly realizes the
    > error of their ways and upgrades everyone to Firefox next week?

    Do it again and charge them again? Assuming "To run only in IE5.5" was in
    the spec of course... ;-)

    Cheers,
    Nige

    --
    Nigel Moss
    http://www.nigenet.org.uk

    nice.guy.nige, Apr 27, 2005
  6. harry wrote:

    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote in
    > message news:SOMbe.8991$...
    >
    >> harry wrote:
    >>
    >>> My app is for an Intranet & is required to run ONLY on IE 5.5
    >>> (sp2) - minimum screen resolution is 800*600

    >> But what will you do when the IT department suddenly realizes the
    >> error of their ways and upgrades everyone to Firefox next week?

    [top-posting corrected]
    > thanks for that, unfortunetly I don't decide the Browser & the
    > client has decided to only ever use IE!

    "Only ever use IE." Ok ... so next week he buys a new computer that
    doesn't have Windows 98 on it, now has XP SP2, which is the newest
    nearly five-year-old IE6. Will your pages still work?

    What if next week your client gets hit by a massive spyware attack,
    and the consultant called to fix the problem convinces him/her that
    using IE is a great security risk and he *should* upgrade.

    Your answer is of course to design whatever it is so that it works in
    *any* browser. This is much easier than trying to write hacks for a
    single ancient one.

    Or ... do those 19 columns in Excel. :) Do you have any kind of
    sample you could show as to what exactly these 19 columns are?

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Apr 27, 2005
  7. harry

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Travis Newbury wrote:
    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >
    >> But what will you do when the IT department suddenly realizes the
    >> error of their ways and upgrades everyone to Firefox next week?

    > AH HAHAHAHA Like there is a company out here smart enough to do
    > that....

    Ahahahaha! Mine did! :)

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby Inkster, Apr 28, 2005
  8. Toby Inkster wrote:
    >>AH HAHAHAHA Like there is a company out here smart enough to do
    >>that....

    > Ahahahaha! Mine did! :)

    I meant one that matters.... (0-o)

    --
    -=tn=-

    Travis Newbury, Apr 28, 2005
  9. harry

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 13:27:44 GMT, "harry" <>
    wrote:

    >My app is for an Intranet & is required to run ONLY on IE 5.5 (sp2) -

    No it isn't..

    Andy Dingley, May 2, 2005
  10. Andy Dingley wrote:
    >>My app is for an Intranet & is required to run ONLY on IE 5.5 (sp2) -

    > No it isn't..

    And you know this because....

    --
    -=tn=-

    Travis Newbury, May 2, 2005
  11. in alt.html, Travis Newbury wrote:
    > Andy Dingley wrote:
    > >>My app is for an Intranet & is required to run ONLY on IE 5.5 (sp2) -

    > > No it isn't..

    > And you know this because....

    Because it would make very little sence.

    I bet requirement is that it has to work in IE5.5. It is very unlikely
    that it would be forbidden to have it work on other browsers.

    Utrecht, NL.
    Support me, buy Opera:
    https://secure.bmtmicro.com/opera/buy-opera.html?AID=882173

    Lauri Raittila, May 2, 2005
  12. harry

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Travis Newbury wrote:
    > Andy Dingley wrote:
    >> harry wrote:
    >>
    >>> My app is for an Intranet & is required to run ONLY on IE 5.5 (sp2) -

    >> No it isn't..

    > And you know this because....

    Presumably because that would be a very stupid job spec.

    "is ONLY required to run on IE 5.5" is slightly stupid.
    "is required to run ONLY on IE 5.5" is very stupid.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby Inkster, May 2, 2005
  13. Lauri Raittila wrote:e

    The OP said:
    "My app is for an Intranet & is required to run ONLY on IE 5.5 (sp2) -
    minimum screen resolution is 800*600 "

    Only someone looking to start an argument would read that as exclusive.
    It is obvious what he/she meant.

    --
    -=tn=-

    Travis Newbury, May 2, 2005
  14. harry

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On Mon, 02 May 2005 09:54:33 +0100, Toby Inkster
    <> wrote:

    >"is ONLY required to run on IE 5.5" is slightly stupid.

    It's still too stupid for usenet (and the original phrasing was of
    course worse)

    Now maybe some pointy-haired boss somewhere really does think that. But
    it's so stupid a constraint that it's unworthy of further discussion in
    a HTML newsgroup. None of us are (hopefully) here to further such
    wrong-headed notions.

    Besides which, I don't believe there's a way to have IE5.5 running loose
    in an office with web access that isn't unacceptable insecure against
    attack by external nasties. If you're going to have a corporate browser
    policy at all, it ought to focus on exterminating IE 5.5, not
    encouraging it.

    Andy Dingley, May 2, 2005