Can Anyone Please Advise A Newbie......................

Dave

Hi Guys,

I am building a website by hand coding which is great (and learning as I go,
and having great fun doing so) and what I would like to do is incorporate a
help section, the sort of thing that is used in most programs, the icon is
like a small purple book, whereby you click on a topic in the left window
and a description appears in the right window help, and you are offered a
choice of subjects.

I would like apologize for the bad description, but I would be most grateful
if anyone knows what I mean, and if so,can kindly point me in the right
direction.

As my funds are low I need a free program.

Many thanks.

Dave.

PS: If I am in the wrong newsgroup please forgive me, but I am just learning
about newsgroups and things.

Neal

Hi Guys,

I am building a website by hand coding which is great (and learning as I
go,
and having great fun doing so) and what I would like to do is
incorporate a
help section, the sort of thing that is used in most programs, the icon
is
like a small purple book, whereby you click on a topic in the left window
and a description appears in the right window help, and you are offered a
choice of subjects.

What you're describing is likely a frameset. Normally, these are a bad
idea. http://www.html-faq.com/htmlframes/?framesareevil

Another option is to do a more typical two-column CSS layout, and change
the whole page. It will load slightly slower, but it'll be more usable. If
you have PHP on your server, this can be done rather easily. Even without
PHP, it's a matter of adding the left column to each help article.

What would happen is the page would have a left column and a right content
region. If you click a link in the left column, the page reloads with the
same left column but the content requested on the right.

lostinspace

[...]

Friday an alternative
http://www.rdpslides.com/friday/