Can Anyone Please Advise A Newbie......................

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Dave, Oct 3, 2004.

  1. Dave

    Dave Guest

    Hi Guys,

    I am building a website by hand coding which is great (and learning as I go,
    and having great fun doing so) and what I would like to do is incorporate a
    help section, the sort of thing that is used in most programs, the icon is
    like a small purple book, whereby you click on a topic in the left window
    and a description appears in the right window help, and you are offered a
    choice of subjects.

    I would like apologize for the bad description, but I would be most grateful
    if anyone knows what I mean, and if so,can kindly point me in the right
    direction.

    As my funds are low I need a free program.

    Many thanks.

    Dave.

    PS: If I am in the wrong newsgroup please forgive me, but I am just learning
    about newsgroups and things.
    Dave, Oct 3, 2004

  2. Dave

    Neal Guest

    On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 21:21:08 GMT, Dave <>
    wrote:

    > Hi Guys,
    >
    > I am building a website by hand coding which is great (and learning as I
    > go,
    > and having great fun doing so) and what I would like to do is
    > incorporate a
    > help section, the sort of thing that is used in most programs, the icon
    > is
    > like a small purple book, whereby you click on a topic in the left window
    > and a description appears in the right window help, and you are offered a
    > choice of subjects.

    What you're describing is likely a frameset. Normally, these are a bad
    idea. http://www.html-faq.com/htmlframes/?framesareevil

    Another option is to do a more typical two-column CSS layout, and change
    the whole page. It will load slightly slower, but it'll be more usable. If
    you have PHP on your server, this can be done rather easily. Even without
    PHP, it's a matter of adding the left column to each help article.

    What would happen is the page would have a left column and a right content
    region. If you click a link in the left column, the page reloads with the
    same left column but the content requested on the right.
    Neal, Oct 3, 2004

  3. Dave

    lostinspace Guest

    > I am building a website by hand coding which is great (and learning as I
    > go,
    > and having great fun doing so) and what I would like to do is incorporate
    > help section, the sort of thing that is used in most programs, the icon is
    > like a small purple book, whereby you click on a topic in the left window
    > and a description appears in the right window help, and you are offered a
    > choice of subjects.
    >
    > I would like apologize for the bad description, but I would be most
    > grateful
    > if anyone knows what I mean, and if so,can kindly point me in the right
    > direction.
    >
    > As my funds are low I need a free program.
    >
    > Many thanks.
    >
    > Dave.
    >
    > PS: If I am in the wrong newsgroup please forgive me, but I am just
    > learning
    > about newsgroups and things.

    Friday an alternative
    http://www.rdpslides.com/friday/
    lostinspace, Oct 4, 2004
  4. While the city slept, lostinspace () feverishly
    typed...

    > Friday an alternative
    > http://www.rdpslides.com/friday/

    "Monday I have Friday on my mind..." ;-)

    Cheers,
    Nige

    --
    Nigel Moss