    Send any unwanted IDEs and compilers to: (*Grin*)
    2428 Wyoming Dr.
    Rockford, IL 61108

    Matthew McDevitt, Dec 14, 2003

  2. Matthew McDevitt

    Jeff Schwab Guest

    > I was wondering if anyone had an old copy of VC 4.0 or 5.0 that I
    > could buy? I'm thinking of getting back into writing code again.
    >
    > Have pity on me...

    Have you considered dropping Windows altogether? GCC, Emacs are free,
    and so are lots of great graphics libraries for Unix.

    Jeff Schwab, Dec 14, 2003

  3. Matthew McDevitt

    Tom Plunket Guest

    Jeff Schwab wrote:

    > > I was wondering if anyone had an old copy of VC 4.0 or 5.0 that I
    > > could buy? I'm thinking of getting back into writing code again.
    > >
    > > Have pity on me...

    > Have you considered dropping Windows altogether? GCC, Emacs are free,
    > and so are lots of great graphics libraries for Unix.

    Or even stick with Windows and use MinGW or Cygwin.

    -tom!

    Tom Plunket, Dec 14, 2003
  4. > > > I was wondering if anyone had an old copy of VC 4.0 or 5.0 that I
    > > > could buy? I'm thinking of getting back into writing code again.
    > > >
    > > > Have pity on me...

    > > Have you considered dropping Windows altogether? GCC, Emacs are free,
    > > and so are lots of great graphics libraries for Unix.

    > Or even stick with Windows and use MinGW or Cygwin.

    If you prefer to have an IDE with MinGW, download Dev-C++:
    http://www.bloodshed.net/dev/devcpp.html

    --
    Peter van Merkerk
    peter.van.merkerk(at)dse.nl

    Peter van Merkerk, Dec 14, 2003
  5. Tom Plunket <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Jeff Schwab wrote:
    >
    > > > I was wondering if anyone had an old copy of VC 4.0 or 5.0 that I
    > > > could buy? I'm thinking of getting back into writing code again.
    > > >
    > > > Have pity on me...

    > > Have you considered dropping Windows altogether? GCC, Emacs are free,
    > > and so are lots of great graphics libraries for Unix.

    > Or even stick with Windows and use MinGW or Cygwin.
    >
    > -tom!

    If you really wanna stick to windows, yeah, use either Cygwin or even
    DJGPP (yeah, MinGW too)

    But my suggestion, switch to Linux...

    All the above are for free, so no need to spend $$$ on some silly M$
    product... Plus, if you get used to writing on VC, then you're really
    screwed cuz M$ VC is not fully standarized.

    cmad

    Chris Mantoulidis, Dec 14, 2003
  6. Matthew McDevitt

    P.J. Plauger Guest

    "Chris Mantoulidis" <> wrote in message

    > But my suggestion, switch to Linux...
    >
    > All the above are for free, so no need to spend $$$ on some silly M$
    > product... Plus, if you get used to writing on VC, then you're really
    > screwed cuz M$ VC is not fully standarized.

    Now *that's* funny. There are good reasons why one might switch from
    VC++ to a free compiler -- out-of-pocket cost leads the list, of
    course -- but conformance certainly isn't one of them these days.

    P.J. Plauger
    Dinkumware, Ltd.
    http://www.dinkumware.com

    P.J. Plauger, Dec 14, 2003