Can anyone tell me how to to do this with HTML?

I am running a lot of ebay auctions on a regular basis.
I have a section in my listing with nothing but text, say
about 100 words. Sometimes I need to make changes
in the text, so I have to change it for every auction.
Can I put the text in a file on my picture server, then write HTML
to "pull" it into the auction description?
This would be much easier.
Thanks a lot! And please answer in group only.

Todd Shillam

You should host the item description file on your computer; then use HTML to
embed the details into your eBay item description(s) by placing your file's
URL address in the description page.

This will prevent you from having to update multiple listings whereas your
auction items will display your file from your computer. In short, you'll
need to install a Web server program--there are several free programs out
there, such as WWW File Sharing. Using this program, you can specifiy a
folder on your computer to share, including sub-folders and files. If you
have Windows XP Professional, you can also install IIS (Internet Information
Services) -- it's an optional component you can install from the
installation CD. Open the Control Panel, click Add/Remove Programs icon.
After the window appears, click Add/Remove Windows Components on the left
side of the Window, then choose to add IIS component to your computer.

After installing and configuring IIS or a Web server program, then you need
only to find out your computer's Internet IP address--visit
www.whatismyip.com for your IP address. If you have a firewall and/or
router, you many need to enable port-forwarding. If you have questions about
any of this material, you can e-mail me at (e-mail address removed)

Best regards,

Todd

I am running a lot of ebay auctions on a regular basis.
I have a section in my listing with nothing but text, say
about 100 words. Sometimes I need to make changes
in the text, so I have to change it for every auction.
Can I put the text in a file on my picture server, then write HTML
to "pull" it into the auction description?
This would be much easier.
Thanks a lot! And please answer in group only.

Karl Groves

Gnarlodious said:
I have a simple HTML template in table format on my home computer, I simply
fill in the colorcoded areas and paste it in the eBay composing window.

It's a snap.

Who are you talking to?
What are you talking about?
Please learn how to quote your replies on usenet.

-Karl

Richard

B wrote:

I am running a lot of ebay auctions on a regular basis.
I have a section in my listing with nothing but text, say
about 100 words. Sometimes I need to make changes
in the text, so I have to change it for every auction.
Can I put the text in a file on my picture server, then write HTML
to "pull" it into the auction description?
This would be much easier.
Thanks a lot! And please answer in group only.

Do be aware of copyright issues. If you're tapping into ebay's system to
acquire the information, they may not like it due to the fact that this
increases bandwidth for which they are not paying but will be billed for.
They find out what you're doing, you get blocked. End of your site.

If you're merely referencing with proper links, that's probably no big deal.

Weyoun the Dancing Borg

Richard said:
B wrote:

Do be aware of copyright issues. If you're tapping into ebay's system to
acquire the information, they may not like it due to the fact that this
increases bandwidth for which they are not paying but will be billed for.
They find out what you're doing, you get blocked. End of your site.

If you're merely referencing with proper links, that's probably no big deal.

that has nothing to do with anything asked in the question.

[...]

Thanks for the reply. I don't want to use my PC as a server since it
would mean relying on it to be on all the time.
I would rather have the text on the webspace provided by my ISP,along
with the picture files. What I need is the method of having the text
show up on the page.
Thanks.

Spartanicus

Can I put the text in a file on my picture server, then write HTML
to "pull" it into the auction description?

Only by embedding it, or via an iframe, probably not what you want.

There is no such thing as "Client Side Include", and afaik "Server Side
Include" is limited to pulling resources from the same server, so even
in the unlikely event that you could access an SSI method on eBay's
servers, you wouldn't be able to use it to include remotely hosted
stuff.

Toby A Inkster

Spartanicus

Toby A Inkster said:
Well, iframes can be used as a poor man's include and that all happens
client-side, but they do cause problems.

Embedding html and iframes open up a new viewport and are therefore
something completely different from inclusion.
Not so -- well I think it is with Apache SSIs, but not with other
languages.

Doesn't that pose a security problem?