    to "pull" it into the auction description?
    This would be much easier.
    Thanks a lot! And please answer in group only.

    B, Apr 24, 2004

  2. B

    Todd Shillam Guest

    You should host the item description file on your computer; then use HTML to
    embed the details into your eBay item description(s) by placing your file's
    URL address in the description page.

    This will prevent you from having to update multiple listings whereas your
    auction items will display your file from your computer. In short, you'll
    need to install a Web server program--there are several free programs out
    there, such as WWW File Sharing. Using this program, you can specifiy a
    folder on your computer to share, including sub-folders and files. If you
    have Windows XP Professional, you can also install IIS (Internet Information
    Services) -- it's an optional component you can install from the
    installation CD. Open the Control Panel, click Add/Remove Programs icon.
    After the window appears, click Add/Remove Windows Components on the left
    side of the Window, then choose to add IIS component to your computer.

    After installing and configuring IIS or a Web server program, then you need
    only to find out your computer's Internet IP address--visit
    www.whatismyip.com for your IP address. If you have a firewall and/or
    router, you many need to enable port-forwarding. If you have questions about
    any of this material, you can e-mail me at

    Best regards,

    Todd

    "B" <> wrote in message

    I am running a lot of ebay auctions on a regular basis.
    I have a section in my listing with nothing but text, say
    about 100 words. Sometimes I need to make changes
    in the text, so I have to change it for every auction.
    Can I put the text in a file on my picture server, then write HTML

    Todd Shillam, Apr 24, 2004

  3. B

    Gnarlodious Guest

    I have a simple HTML template in table format on my home computer, I simply
    fill in the colorcoded areas and paste it in the eBay composing window.

    It's a snap.

    -- Gnarlie
    http://www.Gnarlodious.com/

    Gnarlodious, Apr 24, 2004
  4. B

    Karl Groves Guest

    "Gnarlodious" <> wrote in message

    > I have a simple HTML template in table format on my home computer, I

    simply
    > fill in the colorcoded areas and paste it in the eBay composing window.
    >
    > It's a snap.

    Who are you talking to?
    What are you talking about?
    Please learn how to quote your replies on usenet.

    -Karl

    Karl Groves, Apr 24, 2004
  5. B

    Richard Guest

    B wrote:

    > I am running a lot of ebay auctions on a regular basis.
    > I have a section in my listing with nothing but text, say
    > about 100 words. Sometimes I need to make changes
    > in the text, so I have to change it for every auction.
    > Can I put the text in a file on my picture server, then write HTML
    > to "pull" it into the auction description?
    > This would be much easier.
    > Thanks a lot! And please answer in group only.

    Do be aware of copyright issues. If you're tapping into ebay's system to
    acquire the information, they may not like it due to the fact that this
    increases bandwidth for which they are not paying but will be billed for.
    They find out what you're doing, you get blocked. End of your site.

    If you're merely referencing with proper links, that's probably no big deal.

    Richard, Apr 24, 2004
  6. Richard wrote:
    > B wrote:
    >

    > > I am running a lot of ebay auctions on a regular basis.
    > > I have a section in my listing with nothing but text, say
    > > about 100 words. Sometimes I need to make changes
    > > in the text, so I have to change it for every auction.
    > > Can I put the text in a file on my picture server, then write HTML
    > > to "pull" it into the auction description?
    > > This would be much easier.
    > > Thanks a lot! And please answer in group only.

    > Do be aware of copyright issues. If you're tapping into ebay's system to
    > acquire the information, they may not like it due to the fact that this
    > increases bandwidth for which they are not paying but will be billed for.
    > They find out what you're doing, you get blocked. End of your site.
    >
    > If you're merely referencing with proper links, that's probably no big deal.

    that has nothing to do with anything asked in the question.

    Weyoun the Dancing Borg, Apr 24, 2004
  7. B

    B Guest

    On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 10:26:22 -0700, "Todd Shillam"
    <> wrote:

    >You should host the item description file on your computer; then use HTML to
    >embed the details into your eBay item description(s) by placing your file's
    >URL address in the description page.
    >
    >This will prevent you from having to update multiple listings whereas your
    >auction items will display your file from your computer. In short, you'll
    >need to install a Web server program--there are several free programs out
    >there, such as WWW File Sharing. Using this program, you can specifiy a
    >folder on your computer to share, including sub-folders and files. If you
    >have Windows XP Professional, you can also install IIS (Internet Information
    >Services) -- it's an optional component you can install from the
    >installation CD. Open the Control Panel, click Add/Remove Programs icon.
    >After the window appears, click Add/Remove Windows Components on the left
    >side of the Window, then choose to add IIS component to your computer.
    >
    >After installing and configuring IIS or a Web server program, then you need
    >only to find out your computer's Internet IP address--visit
    >www.whatismyip.com for your IP address. If you have a firewall and/or
    >router, you many need to enable port-forwarding. If you have questions about
    >any of this material, you can e-mail me at
    >
    >Best regards,
    >
    >Todd

    Thanks for the reply. I don't want to use my PC as a server since it
    would mean relying on it to be on all the time.
    I would rather have the text on the webspace provided by my ISP,along
    with the picture files. What I need is the method of having the text
    show up on the page.
    Thanks.

    B, Apr 25, 2004
  8. B

    Spartanicus Guest

    (B) wrote:

    >Can I put the text in a file on my picture server, then write HTML
    >to "pull" it into the auction description?

    Only by embedding it, or via an iframe, probably not what you want.

    There is no such thing as "Client Side Include", and afaik "Server Side
    Include" is limited to pulling resources from the same server, so even
    in the unlikely event that you could access an SSI method on eBay's
    servers, you wouldn't be able to use it to include remotely hosted
    stuff.

    --
    Spartanicus

    Spartanicus, Apr 25, 2004
  9. On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 08:39:57 +0100, Spartanicus wrote:

    > There is no such thing as "Client Side Include",

    Well, iframes can be used as a poor man's include and that all happens
    client-side, but they do cause problems.

    > and afaik "Server Side
    > Include" is limited to pulling resources from the same server,

    Not so -- well I think it is with Apache SSIs, but not with other
    languages. PHP example:

    Source: http://www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/scratch/google-src
    Result: http://www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/scratch/google

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby A Inkster, Apr 25, 2004
  10. B

    Spartanicus Guest

    Toby A Inkster <> wrote:

    >> There is no such thing as "Client Side Include",

    >Well, iframes can be used as a poor man's include and that all happens
    >client-side, but they do cause problems.

    Embedding html and iframes open up a new viewport and are therefore
    something completely different from inclusion.

    >> and afaik "Server Side
    >> Include" is limited to pulling resources from the same server,

    >Not so -- well I think it is with Apache SSIs, but not with other
    >languages.

    Doesn't that pose a security problem?

    --
    Spartanicus

    Spartanicus, Apr 25, 2004
  11. On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 15:37:17 +0100, Spartanicus wrote:

    > Doesn't [x-server includes] pose a security problem?

    I guess it can, but only if you were including a file hosted on some
    malicious person's server.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby A Inkster, Apr 25, 2004