Can asp and asp.net reside in same IIS server

Guest

Hello All,

I have a requirement of converting some asp files to asp.net files. The
server is IIS 5. So ultimately both ASP and ASp.net files should work on IIS
5. What changes do I need to make on the server. Is possible without
upgrading to IIS6.0?

Thanks in Advance,
Anandhi

Aidy

You'll have to upgrade to IIS6 (it occurs when you install .net) but your
asp and asp.net sites will happily sit on the same server.

Guest

Thanks Aidy,

So does that mean its not possible to run ASP.net and ASP on IIS 5.0
In case If I am upgrading to IIS 6.0 then do i need to set the service to
IIS 5.0 isolation mode

Anandhi

Aidy

When you upgrade, your sites can either be classic ASP or asp.net on a
per-site basis. Not sure what you mean by IIS5 isolation mode.

Mark Fitzpatrick

Yes, you can. I'm not sure where the other information you are receiving
comes from here, but adding the .Net Framework does not upgrade your web
server to IIS 6. The versions of IIS are locked to the operating server they
exist on. IIS 5 is Win 2000. IIS 5.1 is Win Xp and IIS 6 is Win 2003. IIS 7
is on Windows Vista and the upcoming longhorn server.

You can run ASP and ASP.Net just fine. The difficulty here will be if you
need to share information between asp and asp.net. That gets really tricky
as Session information isn't easy to work with as they're both running in
different modules, though it is possible to share info through other
features such as a database. You'll want to determine which files can be
isolated into their own application functionality as a start. In other
words, what features do you need that you can make ASP.Net only and not
effect the experience of the original ASP pages.

Mark Fitzpatrick

This is completely incorrect. IIS is not an upgrade, it is available on
Windows 2003 server only and is the only version that runs on Win 2003
server. The .Net Framework does not upgrade any web server, only registeres
ASP.Net as a module in IIS for handling .aspx pages.

Juan T. Llibre

re:
So does that mean its not possible to run ASP.net and ASP on IIS 5.0

Yes, it is possible. Aidy is mistaken.
See my just-sent reply with a link to sample code.

Guest

Thanks very much everybody.

Its a good news for me to run both asp and asp.net on IIS 5.0

So Juan, do I need to take care of the following only before running asp.net

1. Install Microsoft.net framework
2. regsiter asp.net dll

Is there anything else I have to do for asp.net to work?

Thanks,
Anandhi

Juan T. Llibre

re:
So Juan, do I need to take care of the following only before running asp.net
1. Install Microsoft.net framework

Definitely.
Only install the version you'll be working with ( 1.1 or 2.0 ), though.

re:
2. register asp.net dll

Not needed.
When you install the .Net Framework, aspnet_isapi.dll is registered for you.

re:
Is there anything else I have to do for asp.net to work?

Make sure you have IIS installed before you install the .Net Framework.

If you installed the .Net framework before installing IIS,
you'll have to register the .Net Framework with IIS, by running aspnet_regiis -i

Guest

I got all my queries cleared.
Thx