Can ASP.Net be accessed from linux ?

tristant

Hi All,

We are considering using ASP.Net for our web application.

But the constraint is the web app must be able to run on whatever browser
and OS, is this possible ?
Is there any workaround for this ?

Thank you for your info,
Trist

Mark Rae

We are considering using ASP.Net for our web application.

But the constraint is the web app must be able to run on whatever browser
and OS, is this possible ?
Is there any workaround for this ?

Firstly, please don't cross-post...

I'm wondering if you're confusing server and client here.

ASP.NET runs in Microsoft Internet Information Server on Microsoft Windows
Server. [There are exceptions to this, but let's leave those].

However, an ASP.NET site can be accessed (i.e. viewed, browsed to, whatever
you want to think of it) from any machine running any OS which is capable of
running an Internet browser. There are one or two restrictions to do with
the age of the browsers but, generally speaking, that's it.

E.g. an ASP.NET site can be ACCESSED through IE running on Windows XP,
Netscape running on OS/2, IE running on MacOS X, Opera running on LINUX etc,
but the site itself can only be HOSTED on a Windows Server with IIS
installed.

Ken Tucker [MVP]

Hi,

ASP.Net apps run on the server and render on the client. So you can
run them on linux machines with out the need for the framework. Here are
some changes you need to make to your pages if you are not developing for
the internet explorer (ie netscape).

Ken
-------------------
Hi All,

We are considering using ASP.Net for our web application.

But the constraint is the web app must be able to run on whatever browser
and OS, is this possible ?
Is there any workaround for this ?

Thank you for your info,
Trist

egi

Check this site ...
www.go-mono.com

mono allows you to run .net applications on linux, even asp.net. Project is
supported form Novell.
Current release is 1.0.