    If I modify the code there, is there a way to recompile it without Visual
    Studio?

    Thanks!

    Jordan, Jun 17, 2005

  2. Jordan

    Brock Allen Guest

    Yes. The C# (csc.exe) and VB.NET (vbc.exe) compilers are located in the .NET
    Framework install directory. v1.1 is here on my machine:

    C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322

    -Brock
    DevelopMentor
    http://staff.develop.com/ballen

    Brock Allen, Jun 17, 2005

  3. And, jsc.exe is also in the same directory,
    should you wish to write/compile your ASP.NET apps in J#.net.

    Juan T. Llibre
    ASP.NET MVP
    http://asp.net.do/foros/
    Foros de ASP.NET en EspaƱol
    Ven, y hablemos de ASP.NET...
    ======================

    Juan T. Llibre, Jun 17, 2005
  4. As a side note to Brocks advice - if you only have the runtime installed on
    the remote machine, and not the SDK then you may have to invoke a cmd window
    that sets the environment variables required to do a manual compile. There
    is a batch file (setenv.bat I think) that you need to run.

    --
    Regards

    John Timney
    ASP.NET MVP
    Microsoft Regional Director

    John Timney \(ASP.NET MVP\), Jun 17, 2005
  5. Jordan

    Jordan Guest

    Hi Brock,

    Thanks for the quick reply. My project is in C#. I have been looking at
    the parameters for the "csc" executable.

    I hate to ask, but would you know of way to compile a whole project using
    "csc"?

    Visual Studio seems to create a nice ".csproj" file that has everything in
    it.

    Thanks, again!

    Jordan, Jun 17, 2005
  6. Jordan

    Brock Allen Guest

    Right, but your requirement was that you didn't have VS.NET, right?

    The basics of running it are:

    csc.exe /t:library /r:bin\SomeDependantAssembly.dll /r:bin\SomeOtherAssembly.dll
    /out:bin\MyAssembly.dll file1.cs file2.cs file3.cs

    So, /t: says to build a DLL assembly
    /r: is a reference to the path of any dependant assembly
    /out: says where to put the generated assembly
    and then all the files that should be compiled into that assembly

    If you're interested in a debug build, add /debug in there too.

    Brock Allen, Jun 17, 2005
  7. Jordan

    Jordan Guest

    Sorry for the confusion. I have a C#, ASP.NET project that I built using
    VS.

    Now, I need to take the project to another computer that doesn't have VS,
    modify, and rebuild the code. So, I will still have the ".csproj" file, but
    I need a way to compile it.

    I have tried to view the compile process from Visual Studio, but the steps
    are not displayed.

    Would you know how to compile the ".csproj" or view the compile steps in VS?

    Thanks!

    Jordan, Jun 17, 2005
  8. Jordan

    Brock Allen Guest

    That's the problem -- .csproj is a VS.NET file. It's where VS.NET keeps all
    of its info necessary to compile the assembly. You'd have to pick apart the
    ..vsproj and infer the proper command line arguments I showed earlier. There's
    no parser (other than VS.NET) that I'm aware of that will do that. You could
    build your own.

    Also, I am assuming you're speaking of VS,NET 2002/2003, yes? If you're running
    VS.NET 2005, then it uses MSBuild config files, so with that version you
    could use MSBuild.

    Brock Allen, Jun 17, 2005
  9. Jordan

    Jordan Guest

    I found a description of a tool called NAnt on the web. Have you heard of
    this?

    Thanks, again.

    http://www.theserverside.net/articles/showarticle.tss?id=NAnt

    Jordan, Jun 17, 2005
  10. Jordan

    Brock Allen Guest

    Yep. Nant is a XML based configuration build tool. You'd have to maintain
    your own XML "scripts" to tell Nant how you'd like it to build your assembly.
    I don't know if they have utilities that will read a .csproj and build their
    XML files though. Ideally, that's what you'd like, I think. So, in a sense,
    Nant is doing what VS.NET is doing for you now (modulo the Editor, Debugger,
    etc). MSBuild in 2.0 is MSFT's version of Nant, so to speak.

    (Quickly scanned the article posted)

    Looks like SLiNgshoT will do this conversion for you! Give it a shot and
    let us know how successful it was :)

    Brock Allen, Jun 17, 2005
  11. Jordan

    Jordan Guest

    Hi Brock,

    Fyi, I was able to get the NAnt to work today.

    Download from here:
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/nant

    Description here:
    http://www.code-magazine.com/article.aspx?quickid=0507081

    Installation:
    Just unzip, copy where you want, and add the bin folder to your path.

    Copy the projects ".sln" file into the project directory.
    Tumbleweed.sln

    Add a build file to the project directory with the extension of ".build".

    Here's mine:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
    <project name="Tumbleweed">

    <target name="build">

    <solution configuration="debug"
    solutionfile="Tumbleweed.sln">

    <webmap>
    <map url="http://localhost/Tumbleweed/Tumbleweed.csproj"
    path="C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\Tumbleweed\Tumbleweed.csproj" />
    </webmap>

    </solution>

    </target>

    </project>

    You compile from the comand line like this:
    nant build

    That's it!

    Jordan, Jun 21, 2005