Can <bindingRedirect> apply to assemblies not in the GAC?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by C., Jul 22, 2010.

  1. C.

    C. Guest

    Hi,

    I'm dealing with a legacy .Net 1.1 app with a /bin folder that
    contains hundreds of assemblies. Most of those assemblies reference a
    legacy AuthKeeper.dll assembly, version 1.2.0.0, which also resides in
    that /bin folder (so no, it's not in the GAC).

    I have an updated AuthKeeper.dll, version 2.0.0.0, where I've changed
    the internals of many functions, but it is backwards compatible. What
    I would like to do is to have all those legacy assemblies point to the
    new AuthKeeper.dll without having to update all the references
    manually.

    I added AuthKeeper v. 2 to the GAC and then added this to the top of
    my machine.config file for .Net 1.1:

    <configSections>
    <runtime>
    <assemblyBinding xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1">
    <dependentAssembly>
    <assemblyIdentity name="AuthKeeper"
    publicKeyToken="6e158a01149e9e07" culture="neutral" />
    <bindingRedirect oldVersion="1.0.0.0-1.9.9.9"
    newVersion="2.0.0.0" />
    </dependentAssembly>
    </assemblyBinding>
    </runtime>
    **SNIP**

    But after removing the legacy AuthKeeper.dll, it comes back with:

    System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly
    'AuthKeeper, Version=1.0.2804.14599, Culture=neutral,
    PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot
    find the file specified.

    Can anyone think of how to do what I want to do?

    Thanks!
    C., Jul 22, 2010