Can C++ do it for me?

Discussion in 'C++' started by Silas Justiniano, Jan 24, 2006.

  1. Hello all!

    I'll start one chat program. Firstly, it will be a simple chat program,
    only text, after that I want put sound support (like Skype) and video.
    I don't know programming well, but I'm fairly good at PHP and Tcl. PHP
    is a webdevelopment language and if I used PHP-GTK I would prefer
    Tcl/Tk.

    So I'm here to ask you about C++. I know C++ has many cool features:
    - it's fast.
    - I don't need any interpreter or VM.
    - I can use lots of Toolkits with it.
    - I can compile under Windows, Linux, many platforms.

    I need a language:
    - which can be compiled/interpreted under Windows, Linux, many
    platforms.
    - which have web-integration
    - which would allow me to receive and send data like audio and video.
    - which can hides the code (many interpreted languages can't do that)

    I was thinking about:
    - Tcl/Tk
    - Mono
    - Java
    - C
    - C++

    What C++ can do?

    I'll ask about thta in others usergroups. Thank you very much.
    Silas Justiniano, Jan 24, 2006

  2. Silas Justiniano

    mlimber Guest

    Silas Justiniano wrote:
    > Hello all!
    >
    > I'll start one chat program. Firstly, it will be a simple chat program,
    > only text, after that I want put sound support (like Skype) and video.
    > I don't know programming well, but I'm fairly good at PHP and Tcl. PHP
    > is a webdevelopment language and if I used PHP-GTK I would prefer
    > Tcl/Tk.
    >
    > So I'm here to ask you about C++. I know C++ has many cool features:
    > - it's fast.
    > - I don't need any interpreter or VM.
    > - I can use lots of Toolkits with it.
    > - I can compile under Windows, Linux, many platforms.
    >
    > I need a language:
    > - which can be compiled/interpreted under Windows, Linux, many
    > platforms.
    > - which have web-integration
    > - which would allow me to receive and send data like audio and video.
    > - which can hides the code (many interpreted languages can't do that)
    >
    > I was thinking about:
    > - Tcl/Tk
    > - Mono
    > - Java
    > - C
    > - C++
    >
    > What C++ can do?
    >
    > I'll ask about thta in others usergroups. Thank you very much.

    C++ can do just about anything. However, you'll have to use third-party
    libraries to do the sort of things you're talking about, and that is
    generally beyond the scope of this newsgroup.

    Cheers! --M
    mlimber, Jan 24, 2006

  3. Silas Justiniano wrote:
    > I'll start one chat program. Firstly, it will be a simple chat program,
    > only text, after that I want put sound support (like Skype) and video.
    > I don't know programming well, but I'm fairly good at PHP and Tcl. PHP
    > is a webdevelopment language and if I used PHP-GTK I would prefer
    > Tcl/Tk.
    >
    > So I'm here to ask you about C++. I know C++ has many cool features:
    > - it's fast.
    > - I don't need any interpreter or VM.
    > - I can use lots of Toolkits with it.
    > - I can compile under Windows, Linux, many platforms.
    >
    > I need a language:
    > - which can be compiled/interpreted under Windows, Linux, many
    > platforms.

    You're probably going to face many platform-specific issues.

    > - which have web-integration

    C++ doesn't have that. Platform-specific libraries will help you.

    > - which would allow me to receive and send data like audio and video.

    Again, that's not part provided by the language, it's usually served by
    some kind of second- or third-party OS-specific library.

    > - which can hides the code (many interpreted languages can't do that)
    >
    > I was thinking about:
    > - Tcl/Tk
    > - Mono
    > - Java
    > - C
    > - C++
    >
    > What C++ can do?

    Whatever you can do, C++ can do. _You_ are the programmer. Just like
    a bus doesn't take you anywhere, it needs a driver. Just like skis do
    not go by themselves, they need a skier. Just like planes do not fly
    themselves, they need pilots.

    Victor Bazarov, Jan 24, 2006
  4. Are those third party libraries platform-specific? Java seems have
    these features, and it is cross-platform.
    Silas Justiniano, Jan 24, 2006
  5. [OT, possible TROLL] Can C++ do it for me?

    On 24 Jan 2006 08:06:11 -0800, "Silas Justiniano" <>
    wrote:

    >Hello all!
    >
    >I'll start one chat program. Firstly, it will be a simple chat program,
    >only text, after that I want put sound support (like Skype) and video.
    >I don't know programming well, but I'm fairly good at PHP and Tcl. PHP
    >is a webdevelopment language and if I used PHP-GTK I would prefer
    >Tcl/Tk.
    >
    >So I'm here to ask you about C++. I know C++ has many cool features:
    > - it's fast.
    > - I don't need any interpreter or VM.
    > - I can use lots of Toolkits with it.
    > - I can compile under Windows, Linux, many platforms.

    OK...

    >I need a language:
    > - which can be compiled/interpreted under Windows, Linux, many
    >platforms.

    OK...

    > - which have web-integration

    ??? There is nothing in the C++ language *itself* that does
    networking, let alone "web-integration" (whatever you might think that
    is...) You will always need some kind of third-party library for that
    kind of support. And whether or not that is platform-independent,
    depends on the library implementation, not on the language C++.

    > - which would allow me to receive and send data like audio and video.

    Again, 3rd-party libraries...

    > - which can hides the code (many interpreted languages can't do that)

    Any compiled language can "hide the [source] code". However, most
    likely you will have to recompile the source code once for each
    platform you intend to support.

    I can't tell whether or not that is an issue because I don't yet know
    what you really want to do. But from what I have read so far, I think
    you would be happier with Java than with C++. Again, I cannot say for
    sure whether or not Java would be better for the task you have to do
    because you haven't told us what it is. But you would definitely be
    happier with it (...and I think we would be happier if you did...)

    >I was thinking about:
    > - Tcl/Tk
    > - Mono
    > - Java
    > - C
    > - C++
    >
    >What C++ can do?

    It depends on:
    (a) what you really need to do, and
    (b) whether a 3rd-party library with a C++ interface exists which
    does (a).

    >I'll ask about thta in others usergroups. Thank you very much.

    Please come back when you have a question about the ANSI/ISO C++
    *language* -- that's what we discuss here.

    --
    Bob Hairgrove
    Bob Hairgrove, Jan 24, 2006
  6. Silas Justiniano

    osmium Guest

    "Silas Justiniano" writes:

    > Are those third party libraries platform-specific? Java seems have
    > these features, and it is cross-platform.

    From what little I know of Java, if I were you I would rephrase the
    question: to "Why not use java?".
    osmium, Jan 24, 2006
  7. Silas Justiniano

    Pete Becker Guest

    Silas Justiniano wrote:
    > Are those third party libraries platform-specific? Java seems have
    > these features, and it is cross-platform.

    It's cross-platform for the platforms that it's been ported to. It's not
    magic.

    --

    Pete Becker
    Pete Becker, Jan 24, 2006
  8. Silas Justiniano wrote:
    > Are those third party libraries platform-specific? Java seems have
    > these features, and it is cross-platform.

    Java's not cross-platform, it _is_ the platform. Now that we got that
    out of our way, yes, those third-party libraries _are_ platform-specific
    but that doesn't necessarily mean that your code using those APIs is
    going to be different for every platform. There are plenty of cross-
    platform third-party libraries out there.

    Victor Bazarov, Jan 24, 2006
  9. Silas Justiniano

    Cy Edmunds Guest

    "Silas Justiniano" <> wrote in message
    > Hello all!
    >
    > I'll start one chat program. Firstly, it will be a simple chat program,
    > only text, after that I want put sound support (like Skype) and video.
    > I don't know programming well, but I'm fairly good at PHP and Tcl. PHP
    > is a webdevelopment language and if I used PHP-GTK I would prefer
    > Tcl/Tk.
    >
    > So I'm here to ask you about C++. I know C++ has many cool features:
    > - it's fast.
    > - I don't need any interpreter or VM.
    > - I can use lots of Toolkits with it.
    > - I can compile under Windows, Linux, many platforms.
    >
    > I need a language:
    > - which can be compiled/interpreted under Windows, Linux, many
    > platforms.
    > - which have web-integration
    > - which would allow me to receive and send data like audio and video.
    > - which can hides the code (many interpreted languages can't do that)
    >
    > I was thinking about:
    > - Tcl/Tk
    > - Mono
    > - Java
    > - C
    > - C++
    >
    > What C++ can do?
    >
    > I'll ask about thta in others usergroups. Thank you very much.

    C++ can do what you need, but if I had your kind of project I would almost
    certainly use Python:

    www.python.org
    Cy Edmunds, Jan 25, 2006
  10. Silas Justiniano

    DK Guest

    In article <JjABf.103438$>,
    "Cy Edmunds" <> wrote:

    > "Silas Justiniano" <> wrote in message
    > > Hello all!
    > >
    > > I'll start one chat program. Firstly, it will be a simple chat program,
    > > only text, after that I want put sound support (like Skype) and video.
    > > I don't know programming well, but I'm fairly good at PHP and Tcl. PHP
    > > is a webdevelopment language and if I used PHP-GTK I would prefer
    > > Tcl/Tk.
    > >
    > > So I'm here to ask you about C++. I know C++ has many cool features:
    > > - it's fast.
    > > - I don't need any interpreter or VM.
    > > - I can use lots of Toolkits with it.
    > > - I can compile under Windows, Linux, many platforms.
    > >
    > > I need a language:
    > > - which can be compiled/interpreted under Windows, Linux, many
    > > platforms.
    > > - which have web-integration
    > > - which would allow me to receive and send data like audio and video.
    > > - which can hides the code (many interpreted languages can't do that)
    > >
    > > I was thinking about:
    > > - Tcl/Tk
    > > - Mono
    > > - Java
    > > - C
    > > - C++
    > >
    > > What C++ can do?
    > >
    > > I'll ask about thta in others usergroups. Thank you very much.
    > >

    > C++ can do what you need, but if I had your kind of project I would almost
    > certainly use Python:
    >
    > www.python.org

    I agree. Python would be a good choice. Java would be also be, but
    would be more involved than Python. Maybe Perl would be another
    appropriate choice, but I prefer Python to Perl.

    Chip Jarred
    IODevelop, Inc.
    DK, Jan 25, 2006
  11. Silas Justiniano

    Shark Guest

    Silas Justiniano wrote:
    > Are those third party libraries platform-specific? Java seems have
    > these features, and it is cross-platform.

    >From what you have mentioned so far and from you past experience in

    programming, you should go with Java than with C++. Once you manage to
    get your design working with Java you can think about converting it to
    C++, and by that time you would have understood what is really needed.
    Check this out: http://gentleware.com/downloadcenter.0.html and get the
    community edition which will generate all the Java classes based on
    design. If you get your design to work, the professional version can
    also convert to C++. Good luck!
    Shark, Jan 25, 2006