Can center row in three row table take up remaining space?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Anon, Mar 15, 2005.

  1. Anon

    Anon Guest

    Hi folks.

    I have a table containing three rows. The table takes up the entire screen.
    The top row should only be big enough to contain a nested table and the
    contents of that table; the same goes for the bottom row. (These two rows'
    heights will effectively remained fixed.) However, is it possible to
    configure
    the middle row to take up the rest of the remaining height? (In here I'll
    have
    another nested table, where the middle row of this inner-table will
    effectively
    take up the remaining height, and the top and bottom rows of this inner
    table will remain fixed in much the same way as the outter table's top and
    bottom row.) I don't want the page to scroll at all, therefore this
    inner-table's
    middle row will contain a div with "scroll: auto;" so that the content may
    scroll.
    Unfortunately, frames and iframes and whatnot are out of the question.

    I've tried like hell to get the above working, but I always end up with the
    user
    having to vertically scroll to see the lower contents of the page.

    I think I've just melted my head re-reading that. What time is it?
    Bedtime...
    Anon, Mar 15, 2005

  2. Anon

    dorayme Guest

    > From: "Anon" <> Newsgroups: alt.html Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005
    > 22:49:57 -0000 Subject: Can center row in three row table take up remaining
    > space?
    >
    > Hi folks.
    >
    > I have a table containing three rows. The table takes up the entire screen.
    > The top row should only be big enough to contain a nested table and the
    > contents of that table; the same goes for the bottom row. (These two rows'
    > heights will effectively remained fixed.) However, is it possible to
    > configure the middle row to take up the rest of the remaining height? (In
    > here I'll have another nested table, where the middle row of this inner-table
    > will effectively take up the remaining height, and the top and bottom rows of
    > this inner table will remain fixed in much the same way as the outter table's
    > top and bottom row.) I don't want the page to scroll at all, therefore this
    > inner-table's middle row will contain a div with "scroll: auto;" so that the
    > content may scroll. Unfortunately, frames and iframes and whatnot are out of
    > the question.
    >
    > I've tried like hell to get the above working, but I always end up with the
    > user having to vertically scroll to see the lower contents of the page.
    >
    > I think I've just melted my head re-reading that. What time is it? Bedtime...

    Perhaps you could explain a bit more, maybe include some code and a url or
    something?

    dorayme

    (I enjoy using the comedy technique of self-deprecation - but I'm not very
    good at it).
    dorayme, Mar 16, 2005

  3. "Anon" <> wrote:

    > I have a table containing three rows. The table takes up the
    > entire screen.

    Then you probably shouldn't be using a table since you don't have
    tabular data.

    > The top row should only be big enough to contain a
    > nested table and the contents of that table; the same goes for the
    > bottom row. (These two rows' heights will effectively remained
    > fixed.) However, is it possible to configure
    > the middle row to take up the rest of the remaining height?

    Nested tables are a fairly sure symptom of using tables for layout, and
    in an unnecessarily complicated and risky manner at that.

    You can try setting the table's height in CSS, or using nonstandard
    height="100%" attribute in the <table> tag (to nonstandard that even
    IE spits at it in "standards" mode).

    > (In here I'll have another nested table,

    Please save us from the dirty details. Or at least post the URL - maybe
    someone with weird mind is willing to help you with the trickery.

    > I don't want the page to scroll at all,

    Maybe you should then include a note saying "This page optimized for
    [insert some usual nonsense babble about wowsers and resolutions]
    and the creator's fixed ideas." Scrolling inside an area on a page is
    _worse_ than scrolling normally.

    > Unfortunately, frames and iframes and whatnot are out of the
    > question.

    You would probably make things just _worse_ by trying to emulate frames
    or iframes with your own trickery.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Mar 18, 2005