can eclipse be configured to work with msjava projects?

Maciek Zywno

Hi,

I am to work with a legacy project done in msjava (java 1.1.8). I know
that visual j++ is the best thing to install, but I would like to know
whether anyone of you used eclipse with msjava ot know that eclipse can
/ can't be used to build msjava projects.

Best regards,

Maciek Zywno

Andrew Thompson

I am to work with a legacy project done in msjava (java 1.1.8).

The MSVM stopped at 1.1.4, Sun made a 1.1.8.
You will need to be clear on that before you proceed.

Is it *Sun* 1.1.8, or the 1.1.4 MSVM?

F'Ups set to c.l.j.programmer.

Maciek Zywno

Andrew said:
The MSVM stopped at 1.1.4, Sun made a 1.1.8.
You will need to be clear on that before you proceed.

Is it *Sun* 1.1.8, or the 1.1.4 MSVM?

Sorry, it's 1.1.4 MSVM.

Does anyone used eclipse to work with pojects in MS jvm? Is it possible?

Regards,

Maciek Zywno

Andrew Thompson

Sorry, it's 1.1.4 MSVM.

Thank you for clearing that up.
Does anyone used eclipse ...

Forget Eclipse for the moment. It is not relevant to the question.

If you can compile this project from the command line, you can
configure your IDE to work with, compile and jar the project.
...to work with pojects in MS jvm?

Now that I am sure you are speaking of the MSVM, it is important
to clarify if this Applet also works in other VM's.
..Is it possible?

OK. 'Yes' if the previous answer is yes, 'You have
a snowball's chance in Hell (No)' otherwise.

BTW - Where is an URL of this applet?

Maciek Zywno

Maciek said:
Sorry, it's 1.1.4 MSVM.

I try to add a new JRE in eclipse in Preferences -> Java -> Installed
JREs. I set "JRE type" to "Standard 1.1.x VM". However as I point to a
C:\msJDK4.0 as JRE home directory, eclipse complains that "Target is not
a JDK Root. Java executab;e was not found." Actually there is no
java.exe in msJDK4.0.

Does it mean that eclipse cannot be used with MS java prjects?

Best regards,

Maciek Zywno

Andrew Thompson

Does it mean that eclipse cannot be used with MS java prjects?

Read my other post and stop wasting time futzing* with your IDE.

(* A vague term to express 'needlessly tweaking or adjusting the
parameters of system components to no good end effect')

Maciek Zywno

Andrew said:
Forget Eclipse for the moment. It is not relevant to the question.

It is.
If you can compile this project from the command line, you can
configure your IDE to work with, compile and jar the project.

Are you sure? If you know how to do it, why you don't help me with that?
Now that I am sure you are speaking of the MSVM, it is important
to clarify if this Applet also works in other VM's.

what applet? :)

Andrew Thompson

It is.

Are you sure?

It depends on whether this code uses MS proprietary classes.

If it does, only an MS based IDE will be able to effectively
deal with it. If it does not, you can edit it using Notepad,
Eclipse, NetBeans, TextPad, Emacs.., and compile it either
from the command line or (assuming you know how to configure
your own IDE) your IDE.

Does any of the source import classes starting with

import com.ms...

?
..If you know how to do it, why you don't help me with that?

Because you keep ..
a) Going on about NetBeans
n) Not answering my specific questions (in what is a very complex
subject, you may notice if you check the FAQ[1] for MSVM/IE/Applet[2]).

what applet? :)

O..K, so you're saying this is a 1.1 application?
Either run from the command line/bat files with no GUI,
or using a Frame?

[2] It is unusual to get a 1.1 application, they are usually applets.