Can hidden files be found in a website?

Pass

Without a link on the main page or any page, can files stored on a
website be found by hackers or anybody? How is it done and how to
prevent it?

I have files that I want only a group of people to have access to, so I
tell them the url. But there are unauthorized people who are interested
in the files anyway. Without a url, can they find and get the files?

brucie

In alt.html Pass said:
Without a link on the main page or any page, can files stored on a
website be found by hackers or anybody?
How is it done

a) server not setup to prevent directory listings (Options -Indexes)
b) manual or script guessing locations/names
c) loose lips
I have files that I want only a group of people to have access to,

password/membership management scripts
http://www.hotscripts.com/PHP/Scripts_and_Programs/User_Authentication/
http://www.hotscripts.com/Perl/Scripts_and_Programs/Password_Protection/
http://www.hotscripts.com/ASP/Scripts_and_Components/User_Authentication/
so I tell them the url.

loose lips
But there are unauthorized people who are interested
in the files anyway.

some of the above scripts have goodies that try to guess if only the
authorized person is accessing such as one login on a single IP at a
time but they are only guesses and next to useless.
Without a url, can they find and get the files?

if its online and someone wants to invest the time and effort to get it
then they can.

Spartanicus

Pass said:
Without a link on the main page or any page, can files stored on a
website be found by hackers or anybody? How is it done and how to
prevent it?

I have files that I want only a group of people to have access to, so I
tell them the url. But there are unauthorized people who are interested
in the files anyway. Without a url, can they find and get the files?

People accessing the files may leak the urls via something like the
Google toolbar (to Google).

SpaceGirl

brucie said:
In alt.html SpaceGirl said:

i think pelvic floor exercises should be tried first before going to the
extreme of using glue

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*pretends she didn't read that*

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

Hywel Jenkins

Pass said:
Without a link on the main page or any page, can files stored on a
website be found by hackers or anybody?
Yes.

How is it done

Guessing, brute force.

and how to prevent it?

Password protection.

I have files that I want only a group of people to have access to, so I
tell them the url. But there are unauthorized people who are interested
in the files anyway. Without a url, can they find and get the files?

See above.

Sid Ismail

On 7 Oct 2004 06:30:40 -0700, (e-mail address removed) (Hywel Jenkins)
wrote:

: Hywel

Hi stranger!

Still don't eat quiches ? :)

Sid

brucie

In alt.html SpaceGirl said:

thats a lot of exclamation marks. didn't your mommy warn you about
hanging around with AOLers?