    I have files that I want only a group of people to have access to, so I
    tell them the url. But there are unauthorized people who are interested
    in the files anyway. Without a url, can they find and get the files?
    Pass, Oct 7, 2004

  2. Pass

    brucie Guest

    In alt.html Pass said:

    > Without a link on the main page or any page, can files stored on a
    > website be found by hackers or anybody?
    > How is it done

    a) server not setup to prevent directory listings (Options -Indexes)
    b) manual or script guessing locations/names
    c) loose lips

    > I have files that I want only a group of people to have access to,

    password/membership management scripts
    http://www.hotscripts.com/PHP/Scripts_and_Programs/User_Authentication/
    http://www.hotscripts.com/Perl/Scripts_and_Programs/Password_Protection/
    http://www.hotscripts.com/ASP/Scripts_and_Components/User_Authentication/

    > so I tell them the url.

    loose lips

    > But there are unauthorized people who are interested
    > in the files anyway.

    some of the above scripts have goodies that try to guess if only the
    authorized person is accessing such as one login on a single IP at a
    time but they are only guesses and next to useless.

    > Without a url, can they find and get the files?

    if its online and someone wants to invest the time and effort to get it
    then they can.

    --
    l i t t l e v o i c e s m a k e m e
    brucie, Oct 7, 2004

  3. Pass

    Spartanicus Guest

    Pass <> wrote:

    >Without a link on the main page or any page, can files stored on a
    >website be found by hackers or anybody? How is it done and how to
    >prevent it?
    >
    >I have files that I want only a group of people to have access to, so I
    >tell them the url. But there are unauthorized people who are interested
    >in the files anyway. Without a url, can they find and get the files?

    People accessing the files may leak the urls via something like the
    Google toolbar (to Google).

    --
    Spartanicus
    Spartanicus, Oct 7, 2004
  4. Pass

    SpaceGirl Guest

    brucie wrote:

    > c) loose lips

    You can glue those back on.

    --

    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    SpaceGirl, Oct 7, 2004
  5. Pass

    brucie Guest

    In alt.html SpaceGirl said:

    >> c) loose lips

    > You can glue those back on.

    i think pelvic floor exercises should be tried first before going to the
    extreme of using glue

    --
    l i t t l e v o i c e s m a k e m e
    brucie, Oct 7, 2004
  6. Pass

    SpaceGirl Guest

    brucie wrote:
    > In alt.html SpaceGirl said:
    >

    >>>c) loose lips

    >>You can glue those back on.

    > i think pelvic floor exercises should be tried first before going to the
    > extreme of using glue

    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    *pretends she didn't read that*

    --

    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    SpaceGirl, Oct 7, 2004
  7. Pass <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Without a link on the main page or any page, can files stored on a
    > website be found by hackers or anybody?

    Yes.

    > How is it done

    Guessing, brute force.

    > and how to prevent it?

    Password protection.

    > I have files that I want only a group of people to have access to, so I
    > tell them the url. But there are unauthorized people who are interested
    > in the files anyway. Without a url, can they find and get the files?

    See above.

    --
    Hywel
    Hywel Jenkins, Oct 7, 2004
  8. Jeffrey Silverman, Oct 7, 2004
  9. Pass

    Martin Jay Guest

    In message <>, Hywel
    Jenkins <> writes
    >Pass <> wrote in message
    >> Without a link on the main page or any page, can files stored on a
    >> website be found by hackers or anybody?

    >Yes.

    >> How is it done

    >Guessing, brute force.

    Which is, presumably, why some of us find some very odd entries in our
    web logs. :(
    --
    Martin Jay
    Martin Jay, Oct 7, 2004
  10. Pass

    Sid Ismail Guest

    On 7 Oct 2004 06:30:40 -0700, (Hywel Jenkins)
    wrote:

    : Hywel

    Hi stranger!

    Still don't eat quiches ? :)

    Sid
    Sid Ismail, Oct 8, 2004
  11. Pass

    brucie Guest

    In alt.html SpaceGirl said:

    > !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    thats a lot of exclamation marks. didn't your mommy warn you about
    hanging around with AOLers?

    --
    i t ' s t h e l i t t l e v o i c e s
    brucie, Oct 8, 2004
  12. Pass

    Hywel Guest

    In article <>, Sid Ismail
    says...
    > On 7 Oct 2004 06:30:40 -0700, (Hywel Jenkins)
    > wrote:
    >
    > : Hywel
    >

    > Hi stranger!
    >
    > Still don't eat quiches ? :)