Can HTML Editors change a group of pages?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by John Latter, Sep 6, 2003.

  1. John Latter

    John Latter Guest

    Hi,

    I'm pretty much of a newbie and was wondering if any HTML editors
    could change a number of pages at once - say, if I wanted to change
    the background for example?

    If so, then I hope HTML-Kit is one cos I downloaded it earlier but
    still haven't gotten round to installing it :)

    --

    John Latter

    The 'Socially Acceptable Violence' website:
    http://members.aol.com/jorolat/sac.html

    Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism
    http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html
    John Latter, Sep 6, 2003

  2. John Latter

    Phrederik Guest

    If you have common code to many pages, use INCLUDES instead of repeating the
    code.

    If it's just a matter of styling, then use CSS pages on your site.

    Phrederik, Sep 6, 2003

  3. John Latter wrote:

    > I'm pretty much of a newbie and was wondering if any HTML editors
    > could change a number of pages at once - say, if I wanted to change
    > the background for example?

    This is what CSS is for.

    playing://(nothing)
    Toby A Inkster, Sep 6, 2003
  4. John Latter

    John Latter Guest

    On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 16:48:25 GMT, "Phrederik" <postmaster@127.0.0.1>
    wrote:

    >If you have common code to many pages, use INCLUDES instead of repeating the
    >code.
    >
    >If it's just a matter of styling, then use CSS pages on your site.
    >
    >"John Latter" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I'm pretty much of a newbie and was wondering if any HTML editors
    >> could change a number of pages at once - say, if I wanted to change
    >> the background for example?
    >>
    >> If so, then I hope HTML-Kit is one cos I downloaded it earlier but
    >> still haven't gotten round to installing it :)

    OK Phrederik - I'll look up how to use includes (once this headache
    goes away) but because I don't know much at all I think I might give
    CSS a miss for the moment (whatever they are). Besides, my isp is AOL
    and you can bet your boots they don't allow CSS - or there'll be SOME
    complication anyway - thanks again!

    John Latter, Sep 6, 2003
  5. John Latter

    John Latter Guest

    On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 17:50:17 +0100, Toby A Inkster
    <> wrote:

    >John Latter wrote:
    >
    >> I'm pretty much of a newbie and was wondering if any HTML editors
    >> could change a number of pages at once - say, if I wanted to change
    >> the background for example?

    >This is what CSS is for.

    Good grief - I've just told someone else that I didn't want to bother
    with CSS cos I've got enough on my plate trying to understand how
    HTML-Kit works. Looks as though I'll have to find out what they/it
    are/is!

    Basically, I was hoping to find an editor that would let me edit a
    site rather than a single page - I feel like I've fallen right into
    the deep-end!

    Anyway, thanks for the post & info Tony!

    John Latter, Sep 6, 2003
  6. John Latter

    Adrienne Guest

    Gazing into my crystal ball I observed John Latter <>
    writing in news::

    > On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 16:48:25 GMT, "Phrederik" <postmaster@127.0.0.1>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>If you have common code to many pages, use INCLUDES instead of
    >>repeating the code.
    >>
    >>If it's just a matter of styling, then use CSS pages on your site.
    >>
    >>"John Latter" <> wrote in message
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> I'm pretty much of a newbie and was wondering if any HTML editors
    >>> could change a number of pages at once - say, if I wanted to change
    >>> the background for example?
    >>>
    >>> If so, then I hope HTML-Kit is one cos I downloaded it earlier but
    >>> still haven't gotten round to installing it :)

    > OK Phrederik - I'll look up how to use includes (once this headache
    > goes away) but because I don't know much at all I think I might give
    > CSS a miss for the moment (whatever they are). Besides, my isp is AOL
    > and you can bet your boots they don't allow CSS - or there'll be SOME
    > complication anyway - thanks again!

    AOL cannot disallow CSS, CSS is a plain text file. CSS is for
    presentation. If you want to make the background color on all pages green,
    then you would use an external stylesheet and set the background color to
    green. Then, if you decided that green wasn't your cup of tea, one change
    to the external stylesheet could make it blue, or pink, or cyan or what
    have you.

    AOL probably does not give you access to Server Side Includes, so you're
    going to have to go the preprocessor route if you want to include one file
    in another.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell
    http://www.arbpen.com
    Adrienne, Sep 6, 2003
  7. John Latter wrote:

    > Besides, my isp is AOL
    > and you can bet your boots they don't allow CSS - or there'll be SOME
    > complication anyway - thanks again!

    AOL allows CSS. You can bet your boots on it.

    playing://ben_folds_five/whatever_and_ever_amen/04_song_for_the_dumped.ogg
    Toby A Inkster, Sep 6, 2003
  8. John Latter

    Big Bill Guest

    On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 19:05:37 +0100, John Latter <>
    wrote:

    >On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 17:50:17 +0100, Toby A Inkster
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>John Latter wrote:
    >>
    >>> I'm pretty much of a newbie and was wondering if any HTML editors
    >>> could change a number of pages at once - say, if I wanted to change
    >>> the background for example?

    >>This is what CSS is for.

    >Good grief - I've just told someone else that I didn't want to bother
    >with CSS cos I've got enough on my plate trying to understand how
    >HTML-Kit works. Looks as though I'll have to find out what they/it
    >are/is!
    >
    >Basically, I was hoping to find an editor that would let me edit a
    >site rather than a single page - I feel like I've fallen right into
    >the deep-end!
    >
    >Anyway, thanks for the post & info Tony!

    HTML-kit is a bit complex. I've used it for years and there's loads of
    it I dunno how to use. I use it mainly for checking my code as it
    picks up mistakes I miss. If as it sounds like you're learning then
    try arachnaphilia which is free and available all over.

    BB
    MFW Britpack www.extreme-positioning.co.uk
    There is only one war, and it's not the rich against the poor,
    the blacks against the whites, the Federation against the Borg,
    or the Democrats versus the Republicans. It's those of us who
    aren't complete idiots against those of us who are.
    Big Bill, Sep 6, 2003
  9. John Latter

    John Latter Guest

    On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 19:28:47 GMT, Adrienne <>
    wrote:

    >Gazing into my crystal ball I observed John Latter <>
    >writing in news::
    >
    >> On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 16:48:25 GMT, "Phrederik" <postmaster@127.0.0.1>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>If you have common code to many pages, use INCLUDES instead of
    >>>repeating the code.
    >>>
    >>>If it's just a matter of styling, then use CSS pages on your site.
    >>>
    >>>"John Latter" <> wrote in message

    >> OK Phrederik - I'll look up how to use includes (once this headache
    >> goes away) but because I don't know much at all I think I might give
    >> CSS a miss for the moment (whatever they are). Besides, my isp is AOL
    >> and you can bet your boots they don't allow CSS - or there'll be SOME
    >> complication anyway - thanks again!
    >>

    >AOL cannot disallow CSS, CSS is a plain text file. CSS is for
    >presentation. If you want to make the background color on all pages green,
    >then you would use an external stylesheet and set the background color to
    >green. Then, if you decided that green wasn't your cup of tea, one change
    >to the external stylesheet could make it blue, or pink, or cyan or what
    >have you.

    'sigh' just shows how much I know! I've been at this for a few hours
    now & my eyelids are drooping so I'll leave finding out about CSS 'til
    tomorrow.

    All in all though, I've now got a pretty good idea about how to
    approach what I want to do so I'll have a break & and try and
    assimilate some of what I've learned!

    John

    John Latter, Sep 6, 2003
  10. John Latter

    John Latter Guest

    On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 20:34:21 +0100, Toby A Inkster
    <> wrote:

    >John Latter wrote:
    >
    >> Besides, my isp is AOL
    >> and you can bet your boots they don't allow CSS - or there'll be SOME
    >> complication anyway - thanks again!

    >AOL allows CSS. You can bet your boots on it.

    Oh right - ah well, 'til a coupla hours ago I had only ever used
    AOLPress so I don't know much about anything. On the other hand, the
    info & help from you and others is very much appreciated. I think I've
    got enough to be going on with for now - thanks!

    John Latter, Sep 6, 2003
  11. John Latter

    John Latter Guest

    On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 21:02:44 +0100, Big Bill <>
    wrote:

    >On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 19:05:37 +0100, John Latter <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 17:50:17 +0100, Toby A Inkster
    >><> wrote:

    >>>This is what CSS is for.

    >>Good grief - I've just told someone else that I didn't want to bother
    >>with CSS cos I've got enough on my plate trying to understand how
    >>HTML-Kit works. Looks as though I'll have to find out what they/it
    >>are/is!
    >>
    >>Basically, I was hoping to find an editor that would let me edit a
    >>site rather than a single page - I feel like I've fallen right into
    >>the deep-end!
    >>
    >>Anyway, thanks for the post & info Tony!

    >HTML-kit is a bit complex. I've used it for years and there's loads of
    >it I dunno how to use. I use it mainly for checking my code as it
    >picks up mistakes I miss. If as it sounds like you're learning then
    >try arachnaphilia which is free and available all over.
    >
    >BB

    Hi Bill,

    I did download Arach. but I thought I would stick with finding out
    more about HTML-Kit for a while - I found a plugin for it called
    includeHTML which promises to do one of the main things I was looking
    for.

    One of the things that has surprised me about Kit though, is that
    there doesn't seem to be much in the way of templates for tables - but
    I'll look again tomorrow (at the moment, what with not knowing much &
    everything being new, it seems that everytime I open my mouth I put my
    foot in it - I thought "CSS" was some kinda esoteric programming
    language!)

    John

    John Latter, Sep 6, 2003
  12. John Latter

    Phrederik Guest

    > On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 17:50:17 +0100, Toby A Inkster
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >John Latter wrote:
    > >
    > >> I'm pretty much of a newbie and was wondering if any HTML editors
    > >> could change a number of pages at once - say, if I wanted to change
    > >> the background for example?

    > >This is what CSS is for.

    > Good grief - I've just told someone else that I didn't want to bother
    > with CSS cos I've got enough on my plate trying to understand how
    > HTML-Kit works. Looks as though I'll have to find out what they/it
    > are/is!

    Believe me! CSS will save you a LOT of work later on.
    Phrederik, Sep 6, 2003
  13. >
    > I'm pretty much of a newbie and was wondering if any HTML editors
    > could change a number of pages at once - say, if I wanted to change
    > the background for example?

    I assume you just mean a simple Find & Replace function - if so, editors
    like Dreamweaver can do a Site-wide Find & Replace [meaning you can change,
    for example, the background code on all pages in the site]. I'm not sure if
    HTML-Kit can do that, I've never used it.

    But, you really should be using something like CSS.
    e n | c k m a, Sep 7, 2003
  14. John Latter

    John Latter Guest

    >Subject: Re: Can HTML Editors change a group of pages?
    >From: "e n | c k m a"
    >Date: 07/09/2003 03:17 GMT Daylight Time
    >

    >> I'm pretty much of a newbie and was wondering if any HTML editors
    >> could change a number of pages at once - say, if I wanted to change
    >> the background for example?
    >>

    >I assume you just mean a simple Find & Replace function - if so, editors
    >like Dreamweaver can do a Site-wide Find & Replace [meaning you can change,
    >for example, the background code on all pages in the site]. I'm not sure if
    >HTML-Kit can do that, I've never used it.
    >
    >But, you really should be using something like CSS.

    Thanks Bob - its a new day so I'll have a look at CSS (er, anyone got any
    links?)

    John
    Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism (based on an extension to
    homeostasis) linking Stationary-Phase Mutations to the Baldwin Effect.
    http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html
    John Latter, Sep 7, 2003
  15. John Latter

    John Latter Guest

    >Subject: Re: Can HTML Editors change a group of pages?
    >From: "Phrederik" postmaster@127.0.0.1
    >Date: 06/09/2003 23:58 GMT Daylight Time
    >

    >"John Latter" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 17:50:17 +0100, Toby A Inkster
    >> <> wrote:

    >> >This is what CSS is for.

    >> Good grief - I've just told someone else that I didn't want to bother
    >> with CSS cos I've got enough on my plate trying to understand how
    >> HTML-Kit works. Looks as though I'll have to find out what they/it
    >> are/is!
    >>

    >Believe me! CSS will save you a LOT of work later on.

    Right - I better have a look at it then! :)

    John Latter, Sep 7, 2003
  16. John Latter

    Isofarro Guest

    Phrederik wrote:

    > "John Latter" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 17:50:17 +0100, Toby A Inkster
    >> <> wrote:

    >> >This is what CSS is for.

    >> Good grief - I've just told someone else that I didn't want to bother
    >> with CSS cos I've got enough on my plate trying to understand how
    >> HTML-Kit works. Looks as though I'll have to find out what they/it
    >> are/is!
    >>

    > Believe me! CSS will save you a LOT of work later on.

    Why?

    --
    Iso.
    Web Standards: http://www.webstandards.org/
    Isofarro, Sep 7, 2003

  17. > >I assume you just mean a simple Find & Replace function - if so, editors
    > >like Dreamweaver can do a Site-wide Find & Replace [meaning you can

    change,
    > >for example, the background code on all pages in the site]. I'm not sure

    if
    > >HTML-Kit can do that, I've never used it.

    For that, the stand-alone function "Replace in Files" at
    http://www.emurasoft.com is most useful.

    Dirk
    Dirk Kruisheer, Sep 7, 2003
  18. John Latter

    John Latter Guest

    On Sun, 7 Sep 2003 12:51:18 +0200, "Dirk Kruisheer"
    <> wrote:

    >> >I assume you just mean a simple Find & Replace function - if so, editors
    >> >like Dreamweaver can do a Site-wide Find & Replace [meaning you can

    >change,
    >> >for example, the background code on all pages in the site]. I'm not sure

    >if
    >> >HTML-Kit can do that, I've never used it.
    >> >

    >For that, the stand-alone function "Replace in Files" at
    >http://www.emurasoft.com is most useful.
    >
    >Dirk

    Thankyou Dirk - I'll download it and have a look!

    John Latter, Sep 7, 2003
  19. John Latter

    Mark B. Guest

    John Latter <> wrote on Sat, 06 Sep 2003 21:38:40
    +0100:

    > Oh right - ah well, 'til a coupla hours ago I had only ever used
    > AOLPress so I don't know much about anything.

    That shows. I suggest you do some basic reading about webdesign, HTML
    and CSS before you expect others to help you. There is plenty of
    information on line (incl. tutors), see below.

    brucie <>, 5 Jun 2003:

    > html tutorial/references:
    > http://www.w3.org/
    > http://www.userdox.com/
    > http://webtips.dan.info/
    > http://www.htmlhelp.com/
    > http://www.htmlcook.com/
    > http://www.w3schools.com/
    > http://www.webmonkey.com/
    > http://www.pagetutor.com/
    > http://www.htmlprimer.com/
    > http://www.html-color-codes.com/
    > http://www.echoecho.com/html.htm
    > http://www.chami.com/tips/internet/
    > http://www.vortex-webdesign.com/help
    > http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/www.html
    > http://www.davesite.com/webstation/html/
    > http://www.htmlhelp.com/faq/html/all.html
    > http://www.pageresource.com/html/index.html
    > http://www.htmlhelp.org/design/standards.html
    > http://www.htmlcenter.com/tutorials/index.cfm
    > http://www.blooberry.com/indexdot/html/index.html
    > http://www.webpageworkshop.co.uk/others/html/html_index
    >
    > HTML 4.01 Specification:
    > http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/
    > how to read the w3c specs
    > http://www.alistapart.com/stories/readspec/
    > How to read the HTML DTD
    > http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/intro/sgmltut.html#h-3.3
    > Standards for HTML Authoring for the World Wide Web
    > http://www.htmlhelp.org/design/standards.html
    >
    > HTML Validators:
    > http://validator.w3.org/
    > http://valet.htmlhelp.com/
    > http://htmlhelp.com/tools/validator/
    >
    > downloadable tutorial/reference
    > http://www.ncdesign.org/
    > http://www.trainingtools.com/
    > http://www.htmlhelp.org/distribution/
    > http://www.werbach.com/barebones/download.html

    and Brucie again on 7 aug. 2003:

    css tutorials and other fun 'n giggly css stuff:
    http://www.css.nu/
    http://www.mako4css.com/
    http://www.richinstyle.com/
    http://www.blazonry.com/css/
    http://www.w3schools.com/css/
    http://www.websitetips.com/css/
    http://www.htmlhelp.com/reference/css/
    http://www.pageresource.com/dhtml/indexcss.htm
    http://www.climbtothestars.org/coding/cssbasic/
    http://www.htmlcenter.com/tutorials/index.cfm/css/
    http://www.freewebmastertips.com/php/content.php3?aid=48
    http://www.canit.se/~griffon/web/writing_stylesheets.html
    http://www.utoronto.ca/ian/books/xhtml2/exerpt/css-4a.html
    http://idm.internet.com/articles/200101/csstutorial1a.html
    http://www.greytower.net/en/archive/articles/tsutsumi.html
    http://www.westciv.com.au/style_master/academy/css_tutorial/
    http://webmonkey.com/authoring/stylesheets/tutorials/tutorial1.html

    layout examples:
    http://www.glish.com/css/
    http://www.csszengarden.com/
    http://www.wannabegirl.org/css/
    http://tantek.com/CSS/Examples/
    http://www.saila.com/usage/layouts/
    http://www.bluerobot.com/web/layouts/
    http://www.benmeadowcroft.com/webdev/
    http://www.xs4all.nl/~apple77/columns/
    http://www.meyerweb.com/eric/css/edge/
    http://www.htmler.org/tutorials/3/1.html
    http://css.nu/articles/floating-boxes.html
    http://webhost.bridgew.edu/etribou/layouts/
    http://www.roguelibrarian.com/lj/index.html
    http://css-discuss.incutio.com/?page=CssLayouts
    http://ecoculture.com/styleguide/r/rollovers.html
    http://thenoodleincident.com/tutorials/box_lesson/index.html
    http://www.webreference.com/authoring/style/sheets/layout/advanced/

    rounded corners:
    http://www.albin.net/CSS/roundedCorners/
    http://www.webweaver.org/dan/css/corners/
    http://www.guyfisher.com/builder/workshop/css/corners/

    slants: http://www.infimum.dk/HTML/slantinfo.html
    centering: http://stone.thecoreworlds.net/www/centre/
    lists: http://www.alistapart.com/stories/taminglists/
    pure css menus: http://www.meyerweb.com/eric/css/edge/menus/demo.html

    master compatibility charts:
    http://centricle.com/ref/css/filters/
    http://www.xs4all.nl/~ppk/css2tests/intro.html
    http://macedition.com/cb/resources/abridgedcsssupport.html
    old:
    http://www.immix.net/html/CSSGuide.htm
    http://devedge.netscape.com/library/xref/2003/css-support/

    hiding CSS from crappy browsers:
    http://www.ericmeyeroncss.com/bonus/trick-hide.html
    http://www.w3development.de/css/hide_css_from_browsers/

    css checkers:
    http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/
    http://www.htmlhelp.com/tools/csscheck/

    cascading style sheets, level 1 specification
    http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS1.html
    cascading style sheets, level 2 specification
    http://www.w3.org/tr/rec-css2/cover.html
    cascading style sheets, level 2 revision 1 working draft
    http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/WD-CSS21-20020802/

    Should keep you busy for a while. Have fun.

    Mark
    Mark B., Sep 7, 2003
  20. John Latter

    John Latter Guest