Can I Add quotes to values in a array? or include quotes..

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Richard Sandoval, Apr 26, 2011.

  1. Please advise on my situation.

    I have something like this

    A Yaml file that contains

    Application:
    - App1
    - App2

    When I puts that yaml file for that application field, I get App1,App2.
    How can I add quotes to each application. I'd like my output to be
    "App1,App2" which includes the quotes in the output

    I was thinking maybe through the use of gsub but I'm still new to ruby.
    Could someone provide some aid?

    Richard Sandoval, Apr 26, 2011

  2. Hello,

    It's simple:

    require "yaml"

    yaml = YAML::load("Application:\n - App1\n - App2")

    puts '"' + yaml['Application'].join(', ') + '"'

    That's it. I hope it'll help! :)

    Nikita Baksalyar, Apr 26, 2011

  3. Richard Sandoval

    7stud -- Guest

    Richard Sandoval wrote in post #995007:
    > When I puts that yaml file for that application field, I get App1,App2.
    > How can I add quotes to each application. I'd like my output to be
    > "App1,App2" which includes the quotes in the output

    In Ruby, two of the String constructors are ' ' and " ". So if you
    create a string like this:

    str = 'hello'

    and write:

    puts str

    then the output will be:

    hello

    Now, what if you want str to start with a dash and end with a dash? How
    would you do that? Like this:

    str = '-hello-'
    puts str

    and the output will be:

    -hello-

    Similarly, if you want the string to start with a double quote and end
    with a double quote, then include a double quote before the 'h' and
    after the 'o':

    str = '"hello"'
    puts str

    and the output will be:

    "hello"

    But what if you try:

    str = ""hello""
    puts str

    ruby first sees this:

    str = ""

    which sets str to a blank string. Then the rest of the line confuses
    ruby, so ruby stops everything and gives you an error.

    Sometimes mixing single quotes and double quotes gets confusing, so ruby
    also provides two other string constructors: %q and %Q. The lower case
    'q' is the same as single quotes, and the uppercase 'Q' is the same as
    double quotes:

    str = %q{"hello \n world"}
    puts str

    --output:--
    "hello \n world"

    str = %Q{"hello \n world"}
    puts str

    --output:--
    "hello
    world"

    7stud --, Apr 26, 2011
  4. Richard Sandoval

    7stud -- Guest

    Note that you can use any delimiter with %q and %Q: {}, [], !!, so you
    can use a delimiter that makes your code clear.

    7stud --, Apr 26, 2011
  5. =20

    > Date: Wed=2C 27 Apr 2011 02:26:50 +0900
    > Subject: Re: Can I Add quotes to values in a array? or include quotes..
    > To:
    >=20
    > Richard Sandoval wrote in post #995007:
    > > When I puts that yaml file for that application field=2C I get App1=2CA=

    pp2.
    > > How can I add quotes to each application. I'd like my output to be
    > > "App1=2CApp2" which includes the quotes in the output
    > >

    >=20
    > Use the escape slashes:

    str =3D "\"Hello\""
    put str =