Can I avoid Partial classes in VS.Net 2005 ?

Sagar

I am working on a migration project for a huge asp.net application now
running in framwework 1.1 to dotnet 2.0

As a first step, I opened the .sln files of the project in VS.Net
2005. The Conversion wizard created partial classes off the existing
classes.

Is partial classes mandatory in VS.Net 2005 or can I still work
without having to live with partial classes ?

thanks
Anand

Scott M.

In my migration tests, I've found that the .aspx/.aspx.vb files migrated
without any modifications to using partial classes (and from my reading, it
should not convert existing pages to use them). After migrating, you *can*
convert them to use partial classes if you were to right click on the
project or file and choose "Convert To Web Application" (see:
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa730880(vs.80).aspx#wapp_topic18
and look at "Step 6: Covert Code-Behind Classes to Partial Classes").

So no, partial classes are NOT required.

Dave Bush

Partial classes are not required. But you should move in that direction
as fast as you can.

Posted At: Thursday, November 22, 2007 8:22 AM
Posted To: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
Conversation: Can I avoid Partial classes in VS.Net 2005 ?
Subject: Can I avoid Partial classes in VS.Net 2005 ?

I am working on a migration project for a huge asp.net application now
running in framwework 1.1 to dotnet 2.0

As a first step, I opened the .sln files of the project in VS.Net
2005. The Conversion wizard created partial classes off the existing
classes.

Is partial classes mandatory in VS.Net 2005 or can I still work
without having to live with partial classes ?

thanks
Anand

Sagar

Thanks, I am basically looking towards minimal changes to code yet get
the full benefit of .net 2.0.

- Anand
(e-mail address removed)