Can I debug remotely?

M K

I developed my pages on my test station and they work
fine. However, on my production system they do not work,
but no error messages. THey seem to work, but certain
functions don't fire. I would like to debug the production
server from my test station. How can I do this. I use VS
2003 Pro.

M K

Okay, I need to install Remote Components on the webserver
then. But when I try to do the Install Full or even Native-
only I get a Windows Installer error: Incorrect command
line parameters.

Windows Installer. V 2.00.2600.1183...

What to do now?

John Soulis [MSFT]

Hi Mark,
This should get you going.
Use the following statements to launch the MSI package with appropriate
Transform

Full Remote Debugging:On the Start menu, choose Run.
Type the following:
msiexec /qb+ /i n:\<Visual Studio .NET CD1>\vs_setup.msi NOVSUI=1
TRANSFORMS="n:\<Visual Studio .NET CD1>\Setup\Rmt9x.mst" SERVER_SETUP=1
ADDLOCAL=Full_Remote_Debugging
For example:
msiexec /qb+ /i d:\vs_setup.msi NOVSUI=1 TRANSFORMS="d:\Setup\Rmt9x.mst"
SERVER_SETUP=1 ADDLOCAL=Full_Remote_Debugging
<<

Native Debugging:On the Start menu, choose Run.
Type the following:
msiexec /qb+ /i n:\<Visual Studio .NET CD1>\vs_setup.msi NOVSUI=1
TRANSFORMS="n:\<Visual Studio .NET CD1>\Setup\Rmt9x.mst" SERVER_SETUP=1
ADDLOCAL=Native_Only_Debugging
For example:
msiexec /qb+ /i d:\vs_setup.msi NOVSUI=1 TRANSFORMS="d:\Setup\Rmt9x.mst"
SERVER_SETUP=1 ADDLOCAL=Native_Only_Debugging
<<

Or

Navigate to the root of the first installation CD or DVD,
D:\remotecomponents.htm
find the example MSI command line.

Thank you, John Soulis
Microsoft, ASP.NET