Can I detect if there is more than one browser using the same session?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Big Daddy, Nov 22, 2006.

  1. Big Daddy

    Big Daddy Guest

    There are a few things that I store in the session cache hashtable for
    our application. The user gets a session when they log into the
    application. They can open more than one browser window using the same
    session by doing things like:

    If they right click on a link and select "Open in new window" from
    the context menu.

    If they hit CTRL-N to open a new browser.

    But I don't want to allow them to do this because it causes problems
    in the way my application uses the stuff saved in the session cache.
    Is there any way to detect that a second browser is using the same
    session? Like is there a unique ID for each browser window that I
    could look at to see if it's different from one postback to the next?

    Thanks in advance,
    John

    Big Daddy, Nov 22, 2006

  2. Not in any fashion that I've ever discovered. The web server's id that it
    uses for the browser is the session state id. Nowadays, browser
    manufactureres (and users) don't like the browser to supply too many
    distinguishing characteristics or identifiers that could be used to tack the
    user or their browser in any manner.

    --
    Hope this helps,
    Mark Fitzpatrick