    tenxian Guest

    Is It feasible to develop a Java interactive website without using any
    established framework?
    tenxian, Apr 20, 2008

  2. tenxian

    Guest

    On Apr 20, 9:36 am, tenxian <> wrote:
    > Is It feasible to develop a Java interactive website without using any
    > established framework?

    Absolutely.
    You can even write your own web or application server. I wrote few.

    Or use just Application Server (for example Apache Tomcat)
    http://tomcat.apache.org/ and use only JSP pages. It's more then
    enough to build your own interactive web site.
    And it's totally standard and can be used on any standard application
    server.
    Later you, probably, will include some database (MySql or Derby) then
    something extra and then you will, definitely, use some framework at
    last. Which will be some kind of plugin for the same Tomcat or
    whatever. Like Struts or Spring. Then you will move to the JEE server
    like JBoss or Websphere but that's another story even they are fully
    compatible with what you already wrote.
    And that's the beauty of Java.

    Alex.
    http://www.myjavaserver.com/~alexfromohio/
    , Apr 20, 2008

  3. tenxian

    Daniel Pitts Guest

    tenxian wrote:
    > Is It feasible to develop a Java interactive website without using any
    > established framework?

    Yes, it is "feasible", but a significant amount of work.

    The frameworks are there to do all of the difficult, tedious, and boring
    parts of developing an interactive website.

    You're question is a bit like asking "is it feasible to build a chair
    with only carving knives?". Yes, but why not use the tools that exist
    for it :)

    Daniel Pitts, Apr 20, 2008
  4. tenxian

    tenxian Guest

    On Apr 21, 2:49 am, Daniel Pitts
    <> wrote:
    > tenxian wrote:
    > > Is It feasible to develop a Java interactive website without using any
    > > established framework?

    > Yes, it is "feasible", but a significant amount of work.
    >
    > The frameworks are there to do all of the difficult, tedious, and boring
    > parts of developing an interactive website.
    >
    > You're question is a bit like asking "is it feasible to build a chair
    > with only carving knives?". Yes, but why not use the tools that exist
    > for it :)
    >
    > --
    > Daniel Pitts' Tech Blog: <http://virtualinfinity.net/wordpress/>

    What if the requirements are very special, or even very strange? I'm
    afraid maybe the existing frameworks can't help a lot. Further more, I
    have to study frameworks before I use them.
    tenxian, Apr 21, 2008
  5. tenxian

    Roedy Green Guest

    Re: Can I develop an interactive site without using any established framework?

    On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 07:36:22 -0700 (PDT), tenxian
    who said :

    >Is It feasible to develop a Java interactive website without using any
    >established framework?

    I do it without ANY Servlets at all. On mindprod.com I use Applets,
    Java Webstart and static macros, that get expanded just prior to
    upload. The user does not interact with the server however, just the
    Applets and JWS.

    --

    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    The Java Glossary
    Roedy Green, Apr 21, 2008
  6. tenxian

    Roedy Green Guest

    Re: Can I develop an interactive site without using any established framework?

    On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 16:17:03 -0700 (PDT), tenxian
    who said :

    >. Further more, I
    >have to study frameworks before I use them.

    There are dozens of them, with not much to distinguish them. I am
    underwhelmed.

    See http://mindprod.com/jgloss/framework.html

    Roedy Green, Apr 21, 2008
  7. tenxian

    Arne Vajhj Guest

    tenxian wrote:
    > Is It feasible to develop a Java interactive website without using any
    > established framework?

    You can easily develop an application using only the
    libraries required by the Java EE spec and therefore
    available in the app server.

    You may benefit from adding a few extra frameworks,
    but the benefits of doing so are not big with newer
    Java EE version that includes JSF and JPA.

    Arne
    Arne Vajhj, Apr 22, 2008
  8. tenxian

    Arne Vajhj Guest

    Arne Vajhj wrote:
    > tenxian wrote:
    >> Is It feasible to develop a Java interactive website without using any
    >> established framework?

    > You can easily develop an application using only the
    > libraries required by the Java EE spec and therefore
    > available in the app server.
    >
    > You may benefit from adding a few extra frameworks,
    > but the benefits of doing so are not big with newer
    > Java EE version that includes JSF and JPA.

    log4j and Spring were good candidates to check out.

    Arne
    Arne Vajhj, Apr 22, 2008