Can I embed an IE control in a webpage?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Controls' started by jim, Sep 14, 2007.

  1. jim

    jim Guest

    OK...Don't ask why - it'll just make ya mad. It makes me mad just thinking
    about it. I swear....if I didn't need this job, I'd tell 'em where to embed
    their webbrowser control. But, since I do need it, here are my questions...

    Can I embed an IE activex control in a webpage? I basically would like to
    be able to embed the same component used to create IE-based browsers into a
    webpage.

    Since IE is already on Windows PCs already, would they have to load or
    register the component? I wouldn't think so.

    Can I put it in a DIV that will resize with the page?

    I Googled for an example of doing this (embedding an IE webbrowser control
    in a freakin' webpage), but have come up dry so far. Anybody know of any
    code showing such lunacy?

    Thanks for your help!

    jim
    jim, Sep 14, 2007

  2. jim wrote:
    > OK...Don't ask why - it'll just make ya mad. It makes me mad just thinking
    > about it. I swear....if I didn't need this job, I'd tell 'em where to embed
    > their webbrowser control. But, since I do need it, here are my questions...
    >
    > Can I embed an IE activex control in a webpage? I basically would like to
    > be able to embed the same component used to create IE-based browsers into a
    > webpage.
    >
    > Since IE is already on Windows PCs already, would they have to load or
    > register the component? I wouldn't think so.
    >
    > Can I put it in a DIV that will resize with the page?
    >
    > I Googled for an example of doing this (embedding an IE webbrowser control
    > in a freakin' webpage), but have come up dry so far. Anybody know of any
    > code showing such lunacy?
    >
    > Thanks for your help!
    >
    > jim

    What is the goal? Wouldn't you get the same effect by just embedding the
    activex control directly rather than embedding the IE control and

    http://weblog.mkronline.com/
    Michael Robinson, Sep 14, 2007

  3. jim

    bruce barker Guest

    yes, though the users may be warned about running an active/x control.

    you can get the same effect with an iframe (which is really a seperate
    ie instance and has most of the same events).

    you can put an iframe or active/x control in a div, but they will not
    resize on their own. you will need client script to size them.

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    bruce barker, Sep 14, 2007
  4. jim

    Mike Guest

    Even though you said "Don't ask why - it'll just make ya mad".

    I'm curious on why in the world would you want the IE control embedded in a
    web page?

    Mike, Sep 14, 2007
  5. jim

    jim Guest

    "Michael Robinson" <> wrote in message
    > jim wrote:
    >> OK...Don't ask why - it'll just make ya mad. It makes me mad just
    >> thinking about it. I swear....if I didn't need this job, I'd tell 'em
    >> where to embed their webbrowser control. But, since I do need it, here
    >> are my questions...
    >>
    >> Can I embed an IE activex control in a webpage? I basically would like
    >> to be able to embed the same component used to create IE-based browsers
    >> into a webpage.
    >>
    >> Since IE is already on Windows PCs already, would they have to load or
    >> register the component? I wouldn't think so.
    >>
    >> Can I put it in a DIV that will resize with the page?
    >>
    >> I Googled for an example of doing this (embedding an IE webbrowser
    >> control in a freakin' webpage), but have come up dry so far. Anybody
    >> know of any code showing such lunacy?
    >>
    >> Thanks for your help!
    >>
    >> jim
    >>

    > What is the goal? Wouldn't you get the same effect by just embedding the
    > activex control directly rather than embedding the IE control and loading
    > the activex control in it?

    The goal (as crazy as it sounds) is actually to have a web page with a
    webbrowser control on it.

    As far as I can tell (with the horrifically vague set of user specs I have
    been given) the goal of the webpage is to teach veiwers how to use an
    activex control in a webpage using the webbrowser control. From what I have
    been able to glean from this jumble of specs, the end goal for this web page
    is to tie together form and webform programming and move on to other activeX
    controls in later lessons.

    The idea of using the webbrowser control was one thought up by senior
    management (who, of course, still can't program the time on their
    microwaves). Evidentally the "big boss" thought it would be "cool" to host
    one control inside another and the webbrowser control was the first thing
    that fell from his crumbling grey mass.

    I was assigned this task because they thought it would be a good learning
    project for me. (Lucky me.)

    Anyway....I have seen some controls hosted in web pages, and they seem to
    need some type of class id. Is there a place that I can get this class id?
    I assume it would be different for different versions of IE. I also assume
    that version 6 of IE would be the most widely distributed version at this
    time, and would probably be the one to us.

    Know of any code samples that would show hosting activex controls in a div
    or adding/removing activex controls dynamically? A dynamically created,
    DIV-encased, hosted webbrowser control would be the holy grail of code
    samples for this project.

    I am Googling my butt off, but have not found a single example of a
    webbrowser control being hosted in a web page.

    Thanks so much for your help.

    jim
    jim, Sep 15, 2007
  6. jim

    jim Guest

    "bruce barker" <> wrote in message
    > yes, though the users may be warned about running an active/x control.

    Even though it it already loaded and registered on their PC?

    > you can get the same effect with an iframe (which is really a seperate ie
    > instance and has most of the same events).

    I think one of the goals of this project is to show the use of the
    webbrowser control on a form and a web page and to show how the control can
    be used exactly the same on both (with the same events, functions, etc.).

    > you can put an iframe or active/x control in a div, but they will not
    > resize on their own. you will need client script to size them.

    Got it. Got any cool DIV resize code that I could learn from?

    jim, Sep 15, 2007
  7. jim

    jim Guest

    jim, Sep 15, 2007
  8. jim wrote:
    >> What is the goal? Wouldn't you get the same effect by just embedding the
    >> activex control directly rather than embedding the IE control and loading
    >> the activex control in it?

    > The goal (as crazy as it sounds) is actually to have a web page with a
    > webbrowser control on it.
    >
    > As far as I can tell (with the horrifically vague set of user specs I have
    > been given) the goal of the webpage is to teach veiwers how to use an
    > activex control in a webpage using the webbrowser control. From what I have
    > been able to glean from this jumble of specs, the end goal for this web page
    > is to tie together form and webform programming and move on to other activeX
    > controls in later lessons.
    >
    > The idea of using the webbrowser control was one thought up by senior
    > management (who, of course, still can't program the time on their
    > microwaves). Evidentally the "big boss" thought it would be "cool" to host
    > one control inside another and the webbrowser control was the first thing
    > that fell from his crumbling grey mass.

    In other words, there is no real goal at all. You are just doing it
    because someone thought that it should be cool.

    I can't help to think that it would be confusing to use a webbrowser
    control as an example. Web programming is complicated enough, without
    having a browser in the browser.

    I really think that you should suggest to use a different control as an
    example. A control that has even the slightest possibility to actually
    be useful in a web page.

    > I was assigned this task because they thought it would be a good learning
    > project for me. (Lucky me.)
    >
    > Anyway....I have seen some controls hosted in web pages, and they seem to
    > need some type of class id. Is there a place that I can get this class id?
    > I assume it would be different for different versions of IE. I also assume
    > that version 6 of IE would be the most widely distributed version at this
    > time, and would probably be the one to us.
    >
    > Know of any code samples that would show hosting activex controls in a div
    > or adding/removing activex controls dynamically?> A dynamically created,
    > DIV-encased, hosted webbrowser control would be the holy grail of code
    > samples for this project.
    >
    > I am Googling my butt off, but have not found a single example of a
    > webbrowser control being hosted in a web page.

    That's because they aren't. I have never ever even heard of anyone
    wanting to do this, as it's entirely pointless.

    --
    Göran Andersson
    _____
    Göran Andersson, Sep 15, 2007
  9. jim

    Phil H Guest

    On 15 Sep, 00:52, "jim" <> wrote:
    > "Mike" <> wrote in message

    > > Even though you said "Don't ask why - it'll just make ya mad".

    > > I'm curious on why in the world would you want the IE control embedded in
    > > a web page?

    > The goal (as crazy as it sounds) is actually to have a web page with a
    > webbrowser control on it.
    >
    > As far as I can tell (with the horrifically vague set of user specs I have
    > been given) the goal of the webpage is to teach veiwers how to use an
    > activex control in a webpage using the webbrowser control. From what I have
    > been able to glean from this jumble of specs, the end goal for this web page
    > is to tie together form and webform programming and move on to other activeX
    > controls in later lessons.
    >
    > The idea of using the webbrowser control was one thought up by senior
    > management (who, of course, still can't program the time on their
    > microwaves). Evidentally the "big boss" thought it would be "cool" to host
    > one control inside another and the webbrowser control was the first thing
    > that fell from his crumbling grey mass.
    >
    > I was assigned this task because they thought it would be a good learning
    > project for me. (Lucky me.)
    >
    > Anyway....I have seen some controls hosted in web pages, and they seem to
    > need some type of class id. Is there a place that I can get this class id?
    > I assume it would be different for different versions of IE. I also assume
    > that version 6 of IE would be the most widely distributed version at this
    > time, and would probably be the one to us.
    >
    > Know of any code samples that would show hosting activex controls in a div
    > or adding/removing activex controls dynamically? A dynamically created,
    > DIV-encased, hosted webbrowser control would be the holy grail of code
    > samples for this project.
    >
    > I am Googling my butt off, but have not found a single example of a
    > webbrowser control being hosted in a web page.
    >
    > Thanks so much for your help.
    >
    > jim

    Hi Jim

    You have my sympathies if you are being driven by a boss who asks the
    impossible because he/she doesn't know what he/she is talking about.

    The best approach is to go back and agree what the actual (broader)
    objective is and allow you to find the best solution.

    I think you need to make it clear what the difference is between
    client-side and server-side technology. ASP.NET uses Java-script to
    create intelligent client-side behaviour to avoid round-trips (e.g.
    validation controls) but it is not equipped to go much beyond that.
    Active-X control simulation is not in its porfolio.

    Unless of course anyone knows any different, but I doubt it.
    Phil H, Sep 15, 2007
  10. jim

    jim Guest

    "Göran Andersson" <> wrote in message
    > jim wrote:
    >>> What is the goal? Wouldn't you get the same effect by just embedding the
    >>> activex control directly rather than embedding the IE control and

    >> The goal (as crazy as it sounds) is actually to have a web page with a
    >> webbrowser control on it.
    >>
    >> As far as I can tell (with the horrifically vague set of user specs I
    >> have been given) the goal of the webpage is to teach veiwers how to use
    >> an activex control in a webpage using the webbrowser control. From what
    >> I have been able to glean from this jumble of specs, the end goal for
    >> this web page is to tie together form and webform programming and move on
    >> to other activeX controls in later lessons.
    >>
    >> The idea of using the webbrowser control was one thought up by senior
    >> management (who, of course, still can't program the time on their
    >> microwaves). Evidentally the "big boss" thought it would be "cool" to
    >> host one control inside another and the webbrowser control was the first
    >> thing that fell from his crumbling grey mass.

    > In other words, there is no real goal at all. You are just doing it
    > because someone thought that it should be cool.
    >
    > I can't help to think that it would be confusing to use a webbrowser
    > control as an example. Web programming is complicated enough, without
    > having a browser in the browser.
    >
    > I really think that you should suggest to use a different control as an
    > example. A control that has even the slightest possibility to actually be
    > useful in a web page.

    I *so* agree with you. I suggested a date picker control. It is useful in
    both places, consumes less resources and is less confusing than this puzzle
    wrapped in an enigma of a webpage that some (I hope) drunken manager
    scribbled onto a bar napkin.

    >> I was assigned this task because they thought it would be a good learning
    >> project for me. (Lucky me.)
    >>
    >> Anyway....I have seen some controls hosted in web pages, and they seem to
    >> need some type of class id. Is there a place that I can get this class
    >> id? I assume it would be different for different versions of IE. I also
    >> assume that version 6 of IE would be the most widely distributed version
    >> at this time, and would probably be the one to us.
    >>
    >> Know of any code samples that would show hosting activex controls in a
    >> div or adding/removing activex controls dynamically?> A dynamically
    >> created, DIV-encased, hosted webbrowser control would be the holy grail
    >> of code samples for this project.
    >>
    >> I am Googling my butt off, but have not found a single example of a
    >> webbrowser control being hosted in a web page.

    > That's because they aren't. I have never ever even heard of anyone wanting
    > to do this, as it's entirely pointless.

    The only point here that I can see is keeping my job. Doing this is like
    placing a calendar control inside another calendar control. Maybe you could
    do it, but why would you?

    Sometimes I think that people just get drunk with power and the "do it
    because I say so" rule goes into effect. That seems to be the case here.

    jim
    jim, Sep 16, 2007
  11. jim

    jim Guest

    "Phil H" <> wrote in message
> [...]

    >> I am Googling my butt off, but have not found a single example of a
    >> webbrowser control being hosted in a web page.
    >>
    >> Thanks so much for your help.
    >>
    >> jim

    > Hi Jim
    >
    > You have my sympathies if you are being driven by a boss who asks the
    > impossible because he/she doesn't know what he/she is talking about.
    >
    > The best approach is to go back and agree what the actual (broader)
    > objective is and allow you to find the best solution.
    >
    > I think you need to make it clear what the difference is between
    > client-side and server-side technology. ASP.NET uses Java-script to
    > create intelligent client-side behaviour to avoid round-trips (e.g.
    > validation controls) but it is not equipped to go much beyond that.
    > Active-X control simulation is not in its porfolio.
    >
    > Unless of course anyone knows any different, but I doubt it.

    Thanks for the sound advice. Unfortunately sound advice is only useful when
    dealing with beings capable of logical thought.

    What *should* have happened was that management should have come up with a
    goal and left it to the project leaders and workers to accomplish the goal.
    Micromanagement like this will kill morale - and eventually the company.

    Still looking though.....

    jim
    jim, Sep 16, 2007
  12. jim

    Donn Felker Guest

    Well, you could replicate the browsing process by using the
    HttpWebRequest object in .NET. You could create a UI that resembles a
    browswer and then recreate the requests and responses. NOT FUN AT ALL,
    but you COULD do it. :)
    Donn Felker, Sep 19, 2007
  13. jim

    Larry Bud Guest

    On Sep 14, 7:47 pm, "jim" <> wrote:
    > "Michael Robinson" <> wrote in message

    > > jim wrote:
    > >> OK...Don't ask why - it'll just make ya mad. It makes me mad just
    > >> thinking about it. I swear....if I didn't need this job, I'd tell 'em
    > >> where to embed their webbrowser control. But, since I do need it, here
    > >> are my questions...

    > >> Can I embed an IE activex control in a webpage? I basically would like
    > >> to be able to embed the same component used to create IE-based browsers
    > >> into a webpage.

    > >> Since IE is already on Windows PCs already, would they have to load or
    > >> register the component? I wouldn't think so.

    > >> Can I put it in a DIV that will resize with the page?

    > >> I Googled for an example of doing this (embedding an IE webbrowser
    > >> control in a freakin' webpage), but have come up dry so far. Anybody
    > >> know of any code showing such lunacy?

    > >> Thanks for your help!

    > >> jim

    > > What is the goal? Wouldn't you get the same effect by just embedding the
    > > activex control directly rather than embedding the IE control and loading
    > > the activex control in it?

    > The goal (as crazy as it sounds) is actually to have a web page with a
    > webbrowser control on it.

    Could you fake it? Would they know if you did?

    I mean, you could take static images of IE, arrange them on a table,
    have a text box "URL" input, and retrieve a web page... Are they dumb
    enough to fall for it?
    Larry Bud, Sep 19, 2007
  14. jim

    jim Guest

    "Larry Bud" <> wrote in message
    > On Sep 14, 7:47 pm, "jim" <> wrote:
    >> "Michael Robinson" <> wrote in message

    >> > What is the goal? Wouldn't you get the same effect by just embedding
    >> > the
    >> > activex control directly rather than embedding the IE control and
    >> > the activex control in it?

    >> The goal (as crazy as it sounds) is actually to have a web page with a
    >> webbrowser control on it.

    > Could you fake it? Would they know if you did?
    >
    > I mean, you could take static images of IE, arrange them on a table,
    > have a text box "URL" input, and retrieve a web page... Are they dumb
    > enough to fall for it?

    They're dumb alright, but maybe not that dumb. I won't know what URL they
    may type in to test the webpage.

    jim
    jim, Sep 19, 2007
  15. jim

    jim Guest

    "Donn Felker" <> wrote in message
    > Well, you could replicate the browsing process by using the
    > HttpWebRequest object in .NET. You could create a UI that resembles a
    > browswer and then recreate the requests and responses. NOT FUN AT ALL,
    > but you COULD do it. :)

    I don't think it would act like a web page. From what I understand about
    the HttpWebRequest object, it only returns the HTML (like the Inet control
    used to in VB6). And, that wouldn't prove his point of using a webbrowser
    control inside another webbrowser control.

    These people will surf the webpage containing the control from within the
    control just to prove the concept.

    Well, they would - but they won't now because it just won't work. You can't
    use a webbrowser control inside a webpage. It simply won't work.

    At least that's what I'm telling him.

    jim
    jim, Sep 20, 2007